Engine cheats - How should we approach them?

Engine cheats - How should we approach them?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Nov 12
5 edits

RJHinds, Let's talk about chess. Are you a cheat?
Be honest to me.. and cleanse yourself to us.
I will listen & I'm a forgiving man. Remember this is only a game.
You don't take dollar home here everytime you win.
You are always safe @ the end, when you "practice Honesty".
man's ego destroys...
( Proverbs 3: verses 5 & 6 )

d

Moves
21 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yes, I have forgotten.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
(1 John 1:9 NASB)
God may have forgiven you, but I am sure he would, like the rest of us, be happier if you were to give up this practice of cheating on a chess site

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Nov 12

"Perhaps it would be simpler to have a facility that allows people to declare themselves an engine user. This would bar them from playing people who have declared the do not wish to play an engine assited opponent. Tournaments are engine free (of course) but other areas of the site could be relaxed to accomodate people who choose to accept engine using opponents, or wish to use one. Consequently, when people are found to be using an engine 'illegally' their account is then switched to the engine settings permanently."

This seems a sensible solution to me: a two-tier system. Is it too much to ask players to stick to it voluntarily? I would like to think this is an honorable, gentleman's game, but maybe that is too naive.

It also seems to me to be asking an awful lot of any moderation team to vet hundreds or thousands of games (even with automation). Moreover, it is to be expected that there would occasionally be false positives. So, an open and declared two-tier system might be preferable, just from ease of management.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by jcmessy
RJHinds, Let's talk about chess. Are you a cheat?
Be honest to me.. and cleanse yourself to us.
I will listen & I'm a forgiving man. Remember this is only a game.
You don't take dollar home here everytime you win.

( Proverbs 3: verses 5 & 6 )
I have already denied the accusation of cheating a couple of times and told others that when I first came on RHP that I played my games like OTB games without using opening books, etc. My sudden improvement came about when I started taking advantage of the rules of RHP, including the Analyze Board. However, I was called a liar as well as a cheat. I became frustrated and desided to start playing my games like OTB games again or even leave RHP. But then I reconsidered and decided I was not going to be intimidated by these accusations. So you guys can believe what ever you want. I came here to play chess and improve my play, but I also believe a person like me is still needed on the Spirituality Forum. There are other sites I could go to play chess.

P.S. Yes, I know this is just a game and there is no money to win here. I know what it means to win money in chess for I won $4500 in the 1982 World Open before I had to quit playing chess to provide for my wife and five children.

Moves
21 Nov 12
2 edits

RJHinds, You don't have to leave, if your conscience is clean.
We are all not perfect. We all slide to wrong things unintentional.
So come out be honest. Remember you are a Masters here @ RHP,
but a club Player in "Over-the-board".
and others ( I won't mention ) are real masters in OTB, but only
1600 plus ratings here @ RHP.
Is that confusing to you?

P.S. What was your rating back then in 1982, when you won $4,500 @ the World Open?

d

Moves
21 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have already denied the accusation of cheating a couple of times and told others that when I first came on RHP that I played my games like OTB games without using opening books, etc. My sudden improvement came about when I started taking advantage of the rules of RHP, including the Analyze Board. However, I was called a liar as well as a cheat. I became ...[text shortened]... the 1982 World Open before I had to quit playing chess to provide for my wife and five children.
Can I again remind that you have also confessed (in fact as recent as today) that you cheated

Moves
21 Nov 12
2 edits

man deeny, take it easy on this guy. He never cheated on you?
Did he? Only people who have played against him has the right to question.
Have you played against him before? If not, then not your business.
You are only a kid... in chess anyway.

P.S. or you're looking @ my 1600 plus rating too.

d

Moves
21 Nov 12

I have had many a debate with RJH on this site, mostly nothing to do with the Only Chess threads. But as this thread has strayed into whether RJH is a cheat, I feel I have something to contribute, even if my rating is not to your liking

Moves
21 Nov 12
2 edits

I forgive you RJHinds in our game.
Take is easy...
Remember, I learned from it, not you...
God Bless you brother...

Moves
21 Nov 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
But then everyone would complain that that account was cheating and nobody does anything about it, and we'd be right back where we started.
Just ban the engine catching account every month and start a new one. This would would avoid the scenario you suggested and also ensure to keep it's identity hidden.

Even if it only catches 2 blantant cheats the site is already better off.

@Marinkatomb

I'm sure Kramnik would have won his match had it been correspondence chess, but could a player less than Grandmaster (Which is everybody on this site) beat a computer in a single game of correspondence chess?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Nov 12

RJHinds, You don't have to leave, if your conscience is clean.
We are all not perfect. We all slide to wrong things unintentional.
So come out be honest. Remember you are a Masters here @ RHP,
but a club Player in "Over-the-board".
and others ( I won't mention ) are real masters in OTB, but only
1600 plus ratings here @ RHP.
Is that confusing to you?

P.S. What was your rating back then in 1982, when you won $4,500 @ the World Open?
On my score card I had 1572 USCF rating. I was in the 1600 and under section. After that tournament my rating went up to 1817, which included a 100 point bonus that they were giving to the winners in the tournament at that time. I finished in a 3-way tie with Benny Baldwin and Betsy Content Smith.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Nov 12

I never played Proper Knob either and he was the one that started the accusation of cheating after our dispute over the stupid theory of evolution.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Nov 12

I forgive you RJHinds in our game.
Take is easy...
Remember, I learned from it, not you...
God Bless you brother...
This sounds like you believe I cheated you. Whatever, then. I forgive you too and I am glad you learned something. May God bless you too.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
21 Nov 12

Once upon a time, the RHP forums were one of the better places on the internet for chess discussion.

Now it's an endless collection of RJHinds threads.

Moves
21 Nov 12

Originally posted by nimzo5
Once upon a time, the RHP forums were one of the better places on the internet for chess discussion.

Now it's an endless collection of RJHinds threads.
Agreed.

This is how I feel after an RJ post...