CT Art

CT Art

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
26 Aug 07

I've almost finished going through CT Art for the first time. I find it has improved mostly my intuitional skills for finding moves in a game, but I still have the need of calculating whatever the variations are. Anyone else use it? Thoughts?

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
26 Aug 07

go through it again.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
26 Aug 07

Then maybe you'd stand a chance against me.

K

Moves
26 Aug 07

What is the CT art?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Aug 07

Originally posted by Khan
What is the CT art?
a program for drilling tactics. 1200 problems, not computer checked, bad interface (now there's a shocker considering chess programs), but after you get used to its various annoying characteristics, it's really quite useful. problems range from easy as pie to very difficult. costs about 20 euros.

M

Moves
26 Aug 07

Not computer checked?

S

Moves
26 Aug 07

It has crafty inbuilt.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Aug 07

Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
Not computer checked?
there are problems with errors. not too many, but enough to make you crazy when you waste a lot of time and finally find out that the CT-ART answer is in fact wrong.

M

Moves
26 Aug 07

Well what's the point of a couple of errors? It's not like you will memorize every single position in CT Art and know the exact answer and variations, and when you get the exact same position in a game, play out the variation, and get it refuted.

CT Art is mainly to teach you pattern recognition and more importantly calculation skills. I'm sure that the main ideas behind the tactical problems are all correct, probably just a few variations have errors.

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
26 Aug 07

I went through it.

b

Moves
27 Aug 07

Sorry, but what is the website for CT again?

M

Moves
27 Aug 07

If you want to buy it you can go to Amazon

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 Aug 07

Originally posted by badivan1
Sorry, but what is the website for CT again?
convekta. you can order it on a cd or download it straight from the store.

http://store.convekta.com/shop_model.asp

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
27 Aug 07

ct-arts is overrated. Just like Rapid Chess Improvement which helped popularize it. You might as well get the old Reinfeld combinations book and go through that page by page. You can analyze in bed on the beach in the doctor's office, just put it in your pocket. There's some hard, lengthy combinations to exercise your visualization and cheapos to boost your ego and they are categorized by motifs. The only disadvantages are some smudgy diagrams and pages that tend to fallout over time.

d

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
I've almost finished going through CT Art for the first time. I find it has improved mostly my intuitional skills for finding moves in a game, but I still have the need of calculating whatever the variations are. Anyone else use it? Thoughts?
I'm going though it right now and it takes hell of a time. trying to spend 1 hours a day for it (today it has been the fifth day) and it's going really, really slow. I suppose it will take more than 1 year, as the problems get harder with each level.

how long have you been studying CT-Art? and how do you study it, do you just look at the position for a few seconds and throw in the check or capture and see what happens, or do you calculate variations systematically until you're positive on a winning certain move?