1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 17:53
    Anyone else have issues with their CT-Art install?

personally this has happened twice:
    1. Install CT-Art 3.0
    2. Use daily for about 2 weeks
    3. Open it up, receive some random error message. Thereafter, When I click on test, the program says that there are 0 available regardless of whether I am testing out of all problems, by theme, or any other setting.
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 18:05
    I did CT art for about two weeks, then i got sick of it after five straight queen sacs for mate. Pretty soon i was looking for queen sacs in every position (it's very rare). Check out the Chess Tactics Server (http://chess.emrald.net/). The combinations are more realistic. Sometimes you just win a pawn, sometimes you wriggle out of mate. You can never predict. Just don't let the time element throw you. The guys who run CTS run a clock on how fast you find the combo. It's part of your score. One big plus is that it's free!
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 18:12
    Originally posted by zebano

1. Install CT-Art 3.0
    3. Open it up, receive some random error message. Thereafter, When I click on test, the program says that there are 0 available regardless of whether I am testing out of all problems, by theme, or any other setting.
    Nope - mine's fine.

& as for Q sacs ruining CT-Art - well the poster above me must have a different version than the 3.0 I have.
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 19:051 edit

1. Install CT-Art 3.0
    I think it has some kind of flaky copy protection that causes these kinds of problems. Have you tried running it with the install CD in the drive (even if it's one that you burned from a download)?

I bought Chess Tactics for Beginners as a download, and for some reason it wouldn't install unless I burned it to an actual CD (even though the directory tree was identical whether it was on the CD or not). I think it was looking for a CD (any CD?) as some kind of leftover copy protection even though it was the download version.

(edit: Correction, without the CD it would install but it gave some kind of unintelligible error message when you ran it.)
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 19:07
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I think it has some kind of flaky copy protection that causes these kinds of problems. Have you tried running it with the install CD in the drive (even if it's one that you burned from a download)?

I bought Chess Tactics for Beginners as a download, and for some reason it wouldn't install unless I burned it to an actual CD (even though the directory t ...[text shortened]... CD (any CD?) as some kind of leftover copy protection even though it was the download version.
    hmm thats worth a try. I do pay for my software, so I have the cd. I also installed it to my F:\ partition as opposed to the default c:\ so I suppose that may have something to do with it (only the OS goes on C:\ so when I periodically reformat, I don't lose much).
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 19:09
    hmm thats worth a try. I do pay for my software, so I have the cd. I also installed it to my F:\ partition as opposed to the default c:\ so I suppose that may have something to do with it (only the OS goes on C:\ so when I periodically reformat, I don't lose much).
    Yeah, I'm not saying anyone didn't pay for it, but you can buy it as a download-only version (as I did for CTB).
  7. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 19:32
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I'm going though it right now and it takes hell of a time. trying to spend 1 hours a day for it (today it has been the fifth day) and it's going really, really slow. I suppose it will take more than 1 year, as the problems get harder with each level.

how long have you been studying CT-Art? and how do you study it, do you just look at the position for a ...[text shortened]... r do you calculate variations systematically until you're positive on a winning certain move?
    Good question. When I go through it after a lot of problems I get really tired so I just randomly move exchange sacs and stuff lol. But usually it's best to look at the position, usually a good move will appear to you as you notice the open files, diagonals and stuff. Then I calculate a little before I play the first move.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 07:23
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    Good question. When I go through it after a lot of problems I get really tired so I just randomly move exchange sacs and stuff lol. But usually it's best to look at the position, usually a good move will appear to you as you notice the open files, diagonals and stuff. Then I calculate a little before I play the first move.
    ok. thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree