confused about engine usage

confused about engine usage

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IC

Moves
13 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by cotoi
How can I see what players have been banned? I only know of two players being removed for cheating (ih8sens and cludi), since both of them play successfully on chess.com. It looks like the two sites exchange cheaters between them 🙂
I also know that Cludi was a game moderator, so he was supposed to detect other users if they cheat or not. May I ask what quali ...[text shortened]... solving tactics there, Cludi was about 1600. That means in real life he can't be over 2000 ELO.
There used to be a list of banned players, and what TOS they were banned for. It was taken down. Some players may have a copy of the list up to that point. Maybe one will send it to you by PM.

c

Romania

Moves
13 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Ice Cold
There used to be a list of banned players, and what TOS they were banned for. It was taken down. Some players may have a copy of the list up to that point. Maybe one will send it to you by PM.
So it's likely that the site admins reached the conclusion that (almost) nobody is cheating. Since many of the players here would not believe such a thing, the list of banned players has been removed so that nobody has any idea whether the cheating detection is working and especially how. The site admins basically want here a bunch of vegetables: too stupid to ask questions, just go and play. And of course, pay for membership 🙂

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
13 Apr 10

So it's likely that the site admins reached the conclusion that (almost) nobody is cheating. Since many of the players here would not believe such a thing, the list of banned players has been removed so that nobody has any idea whether the cheating detection is working and especially how. The site admins basically want here a bunch of vegetables: too stupid to ask questions, just go and play. And of course, pay for membership 🙂
No, not at all. If this was the case, there would be no active game moderation. You seem to not recognize that it is much harder to gather evidence on a CC site than somewhere like ICC where there is a client on your computer. On ICC, they can see if you have Rybka open on your computer as you crush GMs. Here, the reliance is solely on matchup rates which are much higher in CC than in blitz.

g

Moves
13 Apr 10

I think the average cheaters don't have patience for correspondence chess. CC players use chess program because it is allowed. If its not allowed I guess they will not use it. Its easier to cheat in CC, but I think CC attracts less cheaters than live server like ICC og FICS.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
13 Apr 10

Originally posted by gordias
I think the average cheaters don't have patience for correspondence chess. CC players use chess program because it is allowed. If its not allowed I guess they will not use it. Its easier to cheat in CC, but I think CC attracts less cheaters than live server like ICC og FICS.
A more accurate statement would be that cheaters don't have the patience to us an engine properly in CC. This should make them easier to detect since they will blindly follow the engine's first choice every time. A proper CC player will have at least three engines running in parallel and will use them interactively to investigate the position.

Moves
13 Apr 10

The site admins basically want here a bunch of vegetables: too stupid to ask questions, just go and play. And of course, pay for membership 🙂
Even if that were the case, (which I don't think it is) - I don't understand why it bothers you so much. If you don't want to play here, don't play, that's your choice. Subscribing to RHP is not compulsory. Personally I enjoy playing here. I've had lots of good games, my chess has improved, and I have had no problem with cheating.

If there is restaurant in town you think is overpriced and does not offer good service, just don't eat there. Standing outside waving a placard telling others not to eat there will start to look a bit silly after a while, and surely there are more enjoyable things to do with your time ...

Moves
13 Apr 10

...I also know that Cludi was a game moderator, so he was supposed to detect other users if they cheat or not. May I ask what qualifications are required to become such a moderator? On CTS, when he was solving tactics there, Cludi was about 1600. That means in real life he can't be over 2000 ELO.
He has obviously been on this site before, Aquatabby, and bears a grudge of some sort. I think the appropriate expression is "Don't feed the Troll".

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
13 Apr 10

On CTS, when he was solving tactics there, Cludi was about 1600. That means in real life he can't be over 2000 ELO.
not true. I know a finnish 2200 otb player with sub 1600 cts rating for example.

c

Romania

Moves
13 Apr 10

On ICC any cheater knows that he must not run Rybka on the same computer as the client program he's using to play. So they have to rely on matchup rates too. For blitz it is the case that the comparison should not be done with let's say standard World Championship matches, but with blitz matches between super-GMs. The threshold is different, that's all the difference.

c

Romania

Moves
13 Apr 10
3 edits

Originally posted by aquatabby
Even if that were the case, (which I don't think it is) - I don't understand why it bothers you so much. If you don't want to play here, don't play, that's your choice. Subscribing to RHP is not compulsory. Personally I enjoy playing here. I've had lots of good games, my chess has improved, and I have had no problem with cheating.

If there is restaurant silly after a while, and surely there are more enjoyable things to do with your time ...
OK. I guess I'll give it a try if so many of you say you didn't have a problem with cheating.

I think that there are no other restaurants in town. I played on chess.com and I can say that site has a huge problem with cheating. Huge! I stopped playing tournaments/team matches simply because the odds of getting to play an engine were too big. There cheating is not restricted to a small range of players whom one normally ignores; it is quite common to meet someone rated 2100-2200 (the top rating is 3000) who uses an engine.

c

Romania

Moves
13 Apr 10

Originally posted by Erekose
He has obviously been on this site before, Aquatabby, and bears a grudge of some sort. I think the appropriate expression is "Don't feed the Troll".
Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, I hate cheaters and I hate the sites which tolerate cheaters while claiming they enforce non-assisted play. I think that both are just as guilty in completely ruining the game.

Chess.com experience: a player starts playing CC games. He gets a so-so established rating of let's say 1500. After a while he looks at the game of the top players with an engine and realizes quickly that these players simply let Rybka make all the moves for them. Then, our honest player understands that cheating detection is just for advertising and he starts using assistance himself.

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
13 Apr 10

R

The Smoke

Moves
13 Apr 10

How can I see what players have been banned? I only know of two players being removed for cheating (ih8sens and cludi), since both of them play
a) search the forums for 'banned' b) go to the Tournaments page (or Tournaments forum) and check the RHP Championships in particular, you'll see quite a few crossed out (i.e. banned) names there, there was also one particular privately organised tourney where they had like 50% of the players banned. Will do you a favour and find it..

R

The Smoke

Moves
13 Apr 10

Originally posted by Renars
.. Will do you a favour and find it..
this one: Amsterdamn High Quality Duels ( Tournament 4689 ), check the first round participants..

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
13 Apr 10

Originally posted by Renars
this one: Amsterdamn High Quality Duels ( Tournament 4689 ), check the first round participants..
Hmm. 7 out of 24. About 30%. Would you say thats about the %age of 2000+ players who use engines?