Candidates

Candidates

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
18 Mar 16

Sounds like Nakamura's winnings will be 10% lighter

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
18 Mar 16

Wow, round 6 was rather eventful!

Apparently, Naka blundered into a loss by touching his King, thus forcing him to move it, when he had a better move with the rook.

Today is a rest day I believe, so now tomorrow's game Karjakin vs Aronian will have even greater importance 😀

I really want to see Carlsen vs Aronian... Karjakin will have his time though, for sure.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
18 Mar 16

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Wow, round 6 was rather eventful!

Apparently, Naka blundered into a loss by touching his King, thus forcing him to move it, when he had a better move with the rook.

Today is a rest day I believe, so now tomorrow's game Karjakin vs Aronian will have even greater importance 😀

I really want to see Carlsen vs Aronian... Karjakin will have his time though, for sure.
I can't disagree, Arionian v Carlsen would be a great match. They played a match in the candidates a few years ago (i think Carlsen was a wild card at the time). I highly recommend this series of games, both players traded wins. It's a great watch. 🙂

S

Moves
18 Mar 16

Nakamura had the "hand in the cookie jar" look on his face... 🙁

The more I look at the games I see Caruana has played very well. He has worked a lead in most games but his opponent has held. I like the old format with 1v1 mini-matches where a player has to lose to go home.

IIRC the Maurice Ashley interviews from the tour last year pinpointed Giri and Caruana as the players with the best preparation. Fast forward to this event and everyone seems to be playing for a draw against those two.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
19 Mar 16

Rd. 7 Naka beat Topalov and Aronian-Karjakin was a draw.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
20 Mar 16

Well, looks like it's over for Naka, played an awful blunder and got creamed by Caruana in just 33 moves. Aronian drew, and Karjakin looks to be dead lost against Svidler.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
20 Mar 16

Actually, the Svidler-Karjakin game was very topsy turvy indeed, both sides having seemingly favourable positions at different stages,
only for the game to be agreed a draw, after Svidler apparently "forgot that g6 existed" lol 😀

Also, is anyone here looking forward to the next breakthrough chess book: "How To Draw by Anish Giri"? 😠

rc

Moves
20 Mar 16

Caruana played the same line that Wei Yi played against Navara, queenside castling with kingside pawn storm both kings on opposite wings, Naka seemed prepared and played the testing 10.b5 but was outplayed. variation is great no more Berlins , weeeee 😀

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
20 Mar 16

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Actually, the Svidler-Karjakin game was very topsy turvy indeed, both sides having seemingly favourable positions at different stages,
only for the game to be agreed a draw, after Svidler apparently "forgot that g6 existed" lol 😀

Also, is anyone here looking forward to the next breakthrough chess book: "How To Draw by Anish Giri"? 😠
Can't believe Svidler let Karkajin off in that position.

S

Moves
21 Mar 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Caruana played the same line that Wei Yi played against Navara, queenside castling with kingside pawn storm both kings on opposite wings, Naka seemed prepared and played the testing 10.b5 but was outplayed. variation is great no more Berlins , weeeee 😀
I am wondering why Nakamura played the Berlin in the first place. With 7 or 8 rounds left he is -2 chasing guys that are +2. Naka is a Najdorf expert but instead plays a drawing opening which he can't even get a draw out of.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
21 Mar 16

USA is now rooting for Fabiano

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
21 Mar 16

Originally posted by SPswindler
I am wondering why Nakamura played the Berlin in the first place. With 7 or 8 rounds left he is -2 chasing guys that are +2. Naka is a Najdorf expert but instead plays a drawing opening which he can't even get a draw out of.
Giri plays that, i thought it was a draw? 😕

rc

Moves
21 Mar 16

Originally posted by SPswindler
it seems that top players don't rate it as a draw or that they think it gives them the best chances with either side. Caruana for many years has avoided the Berlin with d3, he was one of the first I saw playing the set up and its now being honed into a formidable weapon.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
21 Mar 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
it seems that top players don't rate it as a draw or that they think it gives them the best chances with either side. Caruana for many years has avoided the Berlin with d3, he was one of the first I saw playing the set up and its now being honed into a formidable weapon.
I think the main reason is that the Berlin end game is a position that engines struggle to evaluate. Therefore it is a test of technique right from the opening. I don't mind seeing it personally. Yes it gets a bit repetitive (especially as you often see the same lines repeated) but there are some games of Carlsen and Caruana (against each other and independently) that are really interesting.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
21 Mar 16

So what about Anand? I find it hard to bet against him now that he has beaten one of the leaders. I wouldn't put it past him to beat Karjakin as well. Third time lucky maybe 🙂