Can Black win this game??

Can Black win this game??

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
27 Jul 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
and sometimes even 2 pawns advantage is not enough to win.
Even 6 pawns more isn't enough. 🙂

😀

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
27 Jul 07

There is nothing like a practical example.

I was careless going into this opposite coloured B end game thinking I had an easy win, after all I was 2 pawns up, had 3 passed pawns and outranked my opponent considerably but the end position is a draw in Game 3278351.

m
That would be me

Behind the couch

Moves
27 Jul 07

Thanks again lads. I was playing for a draw here from very early on. The opposite coloured Bishops were ideal.

H
Renouned Grob Killer

Moves
27 Jul 07
1 edit

I was careless going into this opposite coloured B end game thinking I had an easy win, after all I was 2 pawns up, had 3 passed pawns and outranked my opponent considerably but the end position is a draw in Game 3278351.
thats kind of strange

m
That would be me

Behind the couch

Moves
27 Jul 07

I think that was a brilliant draw from your oppontant. Granted you erred to give him opportunity but he played the only right drawing move on a number o0f occasions toward the end.

Post rec'd, both for his play (David vs Goliath) and your humility in showing it to us. Thanks.

c

Moves
28 Jul 07

...and THAT is nothing like a practical example.

Sorry...couldn't resist the set-up. 😉

w

Moves
28 Jul 07

No, I could not win this game unless he made an error but that was not the point. If you read my messages to him I stated my strategy was to win the tournament. Since Rookguy did take the draw I offered him I accepted a draw on this game. As my chess teacher used to tell me, sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.

m
That would be me

Behind the couch

Moves
28 Jul 07

Originally posted by wonderboy75
No, I could not win this game unless he made an error but that was not the point. If you read my messages to him I stated my strategy was to win the tournament. Since Rookguy did take the draw I offered him I accepted a draw on this game. As my chess teacher used to tell me, sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.
You did say this though:

His response:
I really think that without moving your pawns or king I can still get something across the board but since Rookguy accepted my draw I will accept yours by offering you one now.

That just isn't true or accurate. I had told you all I intended to do was push Bishop over and back but you said that even so you could win.

As I said in our messages though. Congrats on tournament win. Well done. I was just happy first to make it to final and then not get beat in all games there.

w

Moves
29 Jul 07

Originally posted by malinga
That just isn't true or accurate. I had told you all I intended to do was push Bishop over and back but you said that even so you could win.
Actually I said I thought I could get something across the board. I'm not sure why I am having to defend myself in this fashion (in the forums and in private messages) but I will not reply to any more postings or private messages about this subject or this game. Malinga, you played very well and I hope to play more games with you in the future.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
29 Jul 07

Originally posted by wonderboy75
Actually I said I thought I could get something across the board. I'm not sure why I am having to defend myself in this fashion (in the forums and in private messages) but I will not reply to any more postings or private messages about this subject or this game. Malinga, you played very well and I hope to play more games with you in the future.
Weren't you a baseball bat in a movie?

c

Moves
30 Jul 07

m

Moves
30 Jul 07

N

The sky

Moves
30 Jul 07

Originally posted by malinga
I was playing for a draw here from very early on. The opposite coloured Bishops were ideal.
I once had a game where I was a pawn down, so after reading up a bit on endgames (I was still quite new to the game at that time), I gladly accepted a rook exchange that led to an opposite coloured bishop endgame, hoping that I might still manage a draw. My opponent completely messed it up, and I ended up winning the game! Game 1098865