Best response to 1.e4?

Best response to 1.e4?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by Positional Player
What is the correct way to spell Russian names with Roman letters?
http://learningrussian.com/transliteration.htm

Hinesville, GA

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by zebano
.... care to test that out? I'll even play 1 e4 against you.
1 game as white and 1 game as black each, we both must must play 1. e4
I sure would. Any time.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
19 Apr 06
3 edits

Originally posted by wormwood
http://learningrussian.com/transliteration.htm
hehehe

Cyrillic.

And, I quote from that same page in the introduction: Russian belongs to the Slavic group of Indo-European language family. The Slavic group of languages is divided into West Slavic (Czech, Slovak, Polish, and Sorbian), South Slavic (Bulgarian, Croatian, Macedonian, Serbian, and Slovenian), and East Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian).

Now, English is in an entirely different family. That family is the Germanic group. There are several groups of languages. I hope that helps Positional Player see where I'm coming from. Anyway, being that Italian and Russian are in entirely two totally different families of languages, why spell a famous Russian World Chess Champion's name with the letters from an entirely different family of languages? Once again, it doesn't make sense. KASPAROV is KASPAROV! True, there is a RUSSIAN spelling in their letters for his name, and I can't even read it. But, it still means the same thing. And, I very much doubt Kasparov puts RUSSIAN letters on his checkbook when he signs something. Look at the endorsed chess products? RUSSIAN? No, it says Garry KASPAROV in his signature. How do I know? I happen to own a Saitek computer endorsed by him.

e

Moves
19 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by schakuhr
There isn't much to calculate for engines after 0 moves 🙄
Quite the contrary. There is a LOT to calculate. The engine determines all possible first moves for White and examines all possible moves for Black. Then it goes on to calculate possible successive moves and finds the best responses. Taking all things into account, it produces a score. It's no different than any other position.

But in any case, you have clearly confused yourself. This was about 1 e4 e5. It is not move 0.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
Quite the contrary. There is a LOT to calculate. The engine determines all possible first moves for White and examines all possible moves for Black. Then it goes on to calculate possible successive moves and finds the best responses. Taking all things into account, it produces a score. It's no different than any other position.

But in any case, you have clearly confused yourself. This was about 1 e4 e5. It is not move 0.
Normally they've got an opening book so they don't calculate at move 0.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by powershaker
Cyrillic.
kasparov is armenian I think? they don't use cyrillic, and it's not a slavic language.

anyway, it's not about languages, it's about writing systems and different transliteration systems. slavic vs. germanic has nothing to do with it.

americans write 'gorbachev', finnish write 'gorbatshov', and I think the french write 'gorbatchev'. a germanic, finno-ugric and a romance language. all three use same writing system, but different transliteration systems. all three are correct.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by powershaker
I'm a graduate of language.
Literature is not the same as linguistics.

s

Moves
20 Apr 06

Nah, I haven't confused myself, I said something a little bit different than I meant. I meant that after 1.e4 e5 it's still "in book" and that brute engine calculation is pretty much inferior to opening theory.

For instance if I let Crafty play itself, I get the opening 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qe6+... great move!

z

Moves
20 Apr 06

Nah, I haven't confused myself, I said something a little bit different than I meant. I meant that after 1.e4 e5 it's still "in book" and that brute engine calculation is pretty much inferior to opening theory.

For instance if I let Crafty play itself, I get the opening 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qe6+... great move!
Interesting. What happens with Fritz, Hiarcs and Rybka (and any other engines you may have)?

V

Moves
20 Apr 06

Interesting. What happens with Fritz, Hiarcs and Rybka (and any other engines you may have)?
I've let all of them analyse for a year, and eventually they all agreed that the Caro-Kann was the best.... :-P

On a serious note, although the engines are good and can find opening novelties, in general they can't compete with all the known opening theory.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
20 Apr 06

In the starting position, white has 20 possible moves. After 1.e4, white has 30 possible moves, but 31 if black plays 1...d5 or 1...f5, and only 29 if black plays 1...e5. After 1.e3, white has 30 possible moves no matter what black does. Some engines play 1.e3 for this very reason.

S

Dublin

Moves
20 Apr 06

Fritz usually comes up with a Petroff I think.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
20 Apr 06

... For instance if I let Crafty play itself, I get the opening 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qe6+... great move!
but crafty is about the weakest engine around ...
what decent engines do is more interesting.

e

Moves
20 Apr 06
2 edits

Yeah, I see what you mean now. If it's in book it really makes no move of its own and if it would; it would probably be inferior.

Also, Crafty is not so bad. Crafty 20.1 is easily at least 2200 on engine rating lists. Also, Crafty is just above 2600 on ICC.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by Schumi
Fritz usually comes up with a Petroff I think.
Yups with no opening book, fritz play the petroff over and over and over again.