Best response to 1.e4?

Best response to 1.e4?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by flexmore
i also used to think of the caro-K as a thing that fit in with the slav ...

but the slav is very dangerous - i do not like the slav against someone using an aggressive database.

i am at present trying to fit my response to d4 into my C-K plans and still avoid the slav ...

anyway - when they play 1d5, i still cannot resist 1 .. c6 and hope for the best 😉
Have you tried 1. c5 to counter 1. d4? That might fit what you're looking for.

J

back in business

Moves
19 Apr 06

1.e4 d6!! 2.d4 Rf6! 3.Rc3?! (better is 3.Rf3 giving up the pawn for slight compensation) g6! 4.Rf3 Bg7! black has excellent position.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
1.e4 d6!! 2.d4 Rf6! 3.Rc3?! (better is 3.Rf3 giving up the pawn for slight compensation) g6! 4.Rf3 Bg7! black has excellent position.
Those are some aggresive yet risky Rook moves.

J

back in business

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Those are some aggresive yet risky Rook moves.
oh you are right. should be Nc3 etc...

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
19 Apr 06

I play 1... e5 ... it can get complex, but I just try to take my time when I run into something unknown... I know it is theoretically the best bet against 1 e4... so I hope that eventually I will become really good at it if I play it alot.

Personally for openings I like the queens pawn game.

e

Moves
19 Apr 06

You're right. Hiarcs, Fritz, Rybka and all the strongest engines calculate e5 as the best response to e4. However, I'm not sure it is theoretically best, the Sicilian does score about 2% better.

s

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
You're right. Hiarcs, Fritz, Rybka and all the strongest engines calculate e5 as the best response to e4. However, I'm not sure it is theoretically best, the Sicilian does score about 2% better.
There isn't much to calculate for engines after 0 moves 🙄

B

Moves
19 Apr 06

Resign

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
😵

I think caro-kan ...
why?
Because I Carpove played it against Casparove once ... the result of the game is draw

Hinesville, GA

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
How do you meet 1.e4? Why?

I played the Sicilian religiously for 25 years, have had good results with the Petroff and several variations of the Spanish, but have been employing the French as my primary response to 1.e4 for about three years. Since adopting the French, my OTB rating has begun to climb again.
1.) ... c5 best period!

Hinesville, GA

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by BSpider
Resign

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
😵

I think caro-kan ...
why?
Because I Carpove played it against Casparove once ... the result of the game is draw
It's Karpov and Kasparov! Try to spell their names correctly first before giving advice, sir. LOL

z

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by powershaker
1.) ... c5 best period!
.... care to test that out? I'll even play 1 e4 against you.
1 game as white and 1 game as black each, we both must must play 1. e4

PP

Belfast

Moves
19 Apr 06
1 edit

It's Karpov and Kasparov! Try to spell their names correctly first before giving advice, sir. LOL
What is the correct way to spell Russian names with Roman letters?

Casparove and Carpove are equally valid, though less common spellings.

Edit: I am going to guess that you are an American. Correct?

Hinesville, GA

Moves
19 Apr 06
8 edits

Originally posted by Positional Player
What is the correct way to spell Russian names with Roman letters?

Casparove and Carpove are equally valid, though less common spellings.

Edit: I am going to guess that you are an American. Correct?
I don't think it's appropriate to spell a Russian player's name in Roman letters, especially when the Russian language is in an absolutely different family of languages than the Italians. Italian is in the romance languages, and Russian is in an entirely different family. I think when someone spells my name (and yes I'm proud to be an American) then I would appreciate it if you don't spell the Welsh last name Adams in Roman letters.

Oh, and Rome fell in a day, remember? I think America is the ONLY SUPER POWER at present, so I do not give much creedence to Roman spellings and other foreigns ways, since they have little do with who is owning who right now. And, if it weren't for my precious USA and our powerful military, Ireland would be but a ruinous heap and you'd be slave to communist regimes and other evil men. So, step back, sir, and lift up your voice with one true statement: "GOD BLESS THE USA AND ALL THE FINE WOMEN WE PRODUCE!"

PP

Belfast

Moves
19 Apr 06

I don't think it's appropriate to spell a Russian player's name in Roman letters. I think when someone spells my name (and yes I'm proud to be an American) then I would appreciate it if you don't spell the Welsh last name Adams in Roman letters. Thank you kind sir! Duhhhh!

Oh, and Rome fell in a day, remember? I think America is the ONLY SUPER POW ...[text shortened]... r voice with one true statement: "GOD BLESS THE USA AND ALL THE FINE WOMEN WE PRODUCE!"
FYI, you are using Roman letters.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
19 Apr 06
3 edits

Originally posted by Positional Player
FYI, you are using Roman letters.
Yes, I know. That's because I'm an English speaker! But, you weren't referring to my use of Roman letters. You were spelling a Russian name in Roman! My language - English - is derived from the Romans. You need to study up on your languages. You're in my area of expertise now. I'm a graduate of language.

Exhibit A: The russian language is not even remotely associated with the Italian language.

Exhibit B: I'm an English speaker, and my language certainly is derived from the Romans. Anyone who gets a bachelors degree in English will tell you that.

Exhibit C: Why spell a Russian name (a very FAMOUS ONE AT THAT) in Roman letters when the entire world spells Capablanca Capablanca, Morphy as Morphy, Kasparov as Kasparov, Karpov as Karpov... Should we just spell Julia Roberts' (THE ACTRESS) in Roman letters also?

I guess instead of being a global unit, we should just only spell everyone's name in everyone else's country of origin. Would that help? HAHA!!! CRAZY! m Maybe the guy just spelled it like that because he's from that country, and would like to not have any interest in spelling Kasparov's name like Kasparov himself spells it in his own check book. Or, perhaps we should just start spelling everyone's name in Roman letters, because the Vatican and the Papacy (the evil conspirators they are) are not only trying to take over the world within government and law, but also attempting in enforce the old ways of Roman rule upon the world in the form of the European Union? Is that too far off? Didn't think so.