begin by opening

begin by opening

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
16 Aug 06

ok, well you have probably heard this a million times but here goes,

As a beginner, should i try book openings, or just play my own game? I have tried several times for standard openings, but I always get put off by the opposing player and end up in chaos!

I have heard some people spend years 'studying' openings to no avail as such, am I wasting my time?

Jew.

Moves
16 Aug 06

R

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by Shevlin
ok, well you have probably heard this a million times but here goes,

As a beginner, should i try book openings, or just play my own game? I have tried several times for standard openings, but I always get put off by the opposing player and end up in chaos!

I have heard some people spend years 'studying' openings to no avail as such, am I wasting my time?
Yes. Start with the basic book openings. Very basic, ie first 5 moves. At least that will start your pawns and knights on the best squares. After that don't worry. You'll wind up in chaos regardless until you understand chess tactics and strategy.

k

washington

Moves
16 Aug 06

start with book openings, but don't just learn the lines of the opening that is pointless. if you know an opening but dont know much about the strategy behind it then you'll do bad regardless of the opening. learn if this opening has a plan for a wing attack or do your bring your rooks up the center to open the board with attacking chances.

Jew.

Moves
16 Aug 06

c

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by 7ate9
A royal pawn up two,
Knights to the middle,
Bishops out,
Queen forward a little,
Rooks to the centre,
attack.....

can't remember, but it was something like that.
1.f3 e5 2.Kf2!!!!!!!

Best way to dominate- The HAMMERSCHLAG. Your opponents have a 76% chance of crying if they lose too.

k

washington

Moves
16 Aug 06

i would highly suggest that you dont try and use f3 e5 Kf2!!!!!!!!! go with book openings you'll do much better than that opening. sorry cmsmaster

c

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by kmac27
i would highly suggest that you dont try and use f3 e5 Kf2!!!!!!!!! go with book openings you'll do much better than that opening. sorry cmsmaster
It is a book opening, it's called the Hammerschlag.

k

washington

Moves
16 Aug 06

alright f3 d5 your move we'll see how good of an opening it is.

c

Moves
16 Aug 06

alright f3 d5 your move we'll see how good of an opening it is.
My move's Kf2. And the game score reads.... 1-0.

k

washington

Moves
16 Aug 06

e5

c

Moves
16 Aug 06

e5
I was going to challenge you to a set-piece, but you're too cheap to pay for a sub.

Jew.

Moves
16 Aug 06
1 edit

c

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by 7ate9
lol, i'll have a look at your one later.

..... the poem i gave is the first opening i learnt, which i found really good as it shows a lot about chess. putting the major pieces in places they are ready to be used and controling the centre with your pawns. all vital aspects for beginning chess players.
Controlling the center with your king is much cooler. Of course, you'd have to be a total BA to even try it. Look left.

Jew.

Moves
16 Aug 06