Becoming Masters@old age

Becoming Masters@old age

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
He learned how the pieces move when he was five, but wasn't interested. He didn't really start playing before the age of eight.
so 2, maybe 3 years playing seriously to get to 2000. that's quite damn fast!

t

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by wormwood
aren't you almost 2000? And you have been playing for how long again? 2 maybe 3 years? so if you started at 8 that would mean that you could be a top GM right now 😛

FL

Moves
24 Jan 08

GM jesse kraai apparently got his title at 34. although that's really not terribly old, is it?
I knew Jesse when he was studying in Oxford at the age of 20 or so. At that time his playing strength was about 210 to 220 BCF, so he wasn't all that far from GM strength then.

c

USA

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
When young 20- you have all time in the world to dive deep in the chess waters.
When you have a steady job and family with all its duties, then you simply not have that kind of time at your disposal to study chess.

I am sure that you can almost as easily get to high levels when you are older if you just get the time needed to do so.
I think it's a myth that you have not the same learning capacities when you are old, i.e. 35+.
I have to disagree with you somewhat on that statement. In my experience, established players who have at least a basic knowledge of the game (900+ USCF ) who are kids can achieve much greater results than adults of the same rating level. Here's an example; one adult at our local club had been telling me how hard he'd been working- he managed to improve from 1500 to 1700 in one year. A local junior who I believe is either 13 or 14 in the same time period managed to go from 1300 to 1700- they are now of equal strength, and I know that the junior did much less work than the adult, and didn't have a coach.

t

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by chesskid001
I have to disagree with you somewhat on that statement. In my experience, established players who have at least a basic knowledge of the game (900+ USCF ) who are kids can achieve much greater results than adults of the same rating level. Here's an example; one adult at our local club had been telling me how hard he'd been working- he managed to improve ...[text shortened]... ength, and I know that the junior did much less work than the adult, and didn't have a coach.
Thats just one example...some people in general learn faster than others...thats all this example proves.

N

The sky

Moves
24 Jan 08

His Norwegian ELO rating in June 2000: 904
And in October 2001: 2070

(Source: http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~runed/elo.html#N-Elo )

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
aren't you almost 2000? And you have been playing for how long again? 2 maybe 3 years? so if you started at 8 that would mean that you could be a top GM right now 😛
only 1900 so far, and only in CC, I can't really deliver on faster controls. I need to consciously think a lot to figure out the moves. which is very slow and prone to errors. but I suspect the gap will grow smaller as I gain more experience... right now I'm on a steady diet of daily blitz to address the thinking fast part, but I still suck badly at it... it's slowly getting better, though.

I'm documenting it all in my blog, and one of the reasons for that is providing an honest description of what I trained and thought on the way. it's all there, in good and bad. I thought it would be nice to read it in 20 years...

t

Moves
24 Jan 08

only 1900 so far, and only in CC, I can't really deliver on faster controls. I need to consciously think a lot to figure out the moves. which is very slow and prone to errors. but I suspect the gap will grow smaller as I gain more experience... right now I'm on a steady diet of daily blitz to address the thinking fast part, but I still suck badly at it... i ...[text shortened]... way. it's all there, in good and bad. I thought it would be nice to read it in 20 years...
I have been doing kind of the opposite of that...my 15-30min chess is better or was better than my CC because I need to have a flow...if it gets interrupted by a couple of days then I lose my train of thought and end up with fragmented plans being played all over the place and tactics that I had spotted earlier forgotten.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
25 Jan 08

Originally posted by chessisvanity
with age skill diminishes?...thats BS....isn't Korchnoi 105 and still a strong GM?

With age comes less study....keep up yer studies and yer fine.
GM - yes.
Strong - depends on what you mean by 'strong'.

Nothing like as good as he was when I first started playing chess 20 years ago. Korch was one of the top handful in the world for 10-15 years.

That said - you're quite right he's incredibly strong compared to others of a similar age. He's pretty unique at the moment I think.

STS

Moves
25 Jan 08

Depends on how long they've played and their strength before getting serious. A 60 year old who is just learning the game becoming a master? No way. It'd be like learning a new language. A 15 year old might pick up Spanish and become fluent, a 60 year old, never. That door is closed. Same with chess.

s

Moves
25 Jan 08

only 1900 so far, and only in CC, I can't really deliver on faster controls. I need to consciously think a lot to figure out the moves. which is very slow and prone to errors. but I suspect the gap will grow smaller as I gain more experience... right now I'm on a steady diet of daily blitz to address the thinking fast part, but I still suck badly at it... i ...[text shortened]... way. it's all there, in good and bad. I thought it would be nice to read it in 20 years...
Interesting idea... the blog I mean. I might try that too.