Becoming Masters@old age

Becoming Masters@old age

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
24 Jan 08

John Shaw fits the bill. When he was 19 he was rated 1700 and became a grandmaster at the age of 37!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by vipiu
hei, I was expecting an answer like: "yes, I know someone that blah blah"...not endlessly debates on learning at different ages....
I don't know anyone who got a title at any age.

dsR

Big D

Moves
24 Jan 08

Are you aware of anyone who became a master at some old age? Is it possible?
Any stories, roumors about it ?
all the masters that I know
either did it very very early-in their teens and after that their rating somehow decreased,
either they were somehow already good in their 20s(as they started chess a bit later-in their 20s)-candidate master range- and ...[text shortened]... re of anyone who started chess late(let's say 35+) from the scratch and got the master title...
Chigorin didn't take up the game seriously until he was about 25.

Moves
24 Jan 08

hei, I was expecting an answer like: "yes, I know someone that blah blah"...not endlessly debates on learning at different ages....
well let's ignore the original post further ...

if we believe that older adults have diminishing learning capacity, at what age does learning skills diminish? after age 50? 45 ?

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
24 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood

I'm 33, and I haven't seen a child who could get even close to my learning speed. neither at chess nor at anything else.
Well Magnus Carlsen would appear to have more than matched your learning speed over the past 17 years ;-)

I doubt there are many, if any, IMs or better who learned the moves (or moved beyond a knowledge of how the pieces moved but nothing more) after the age of 30. Probably not even after the age of 20.

Aside from anything else as an adult you have all those other responsibilities (jobs relationships, housing, children etc etc) that don't distract you when you're a child (unless you happen to be a Victorian era 4 year old chimney sweep I suppose).

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
24 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by tonytiger41
well let's ignore the original post further ...

if we believe that older adults have diminishing learning capacity, at what age does learning skills diminish? after age 50? 45 ?
I'm currently 39 and have recently started to study for a Masters Degree.

I studied for my degree aged 21-24 and my first Masters degree aged 28-30. Those two were a piece of pee relative to now. These days I'm TIRED at the end of the day and can barely think straight.

Have to do my proper writing in the morning because I get brain dead in the afternoon. My learning ability has diminished severely since I was last in full time education.

(not to say that this kind of thing applies equally to other kinds of learning skills).

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
Well Magnus Carlsen would appear to have more than matched your learning speed over the past 17 years ;-)

I doubt there are many, if any, IMs or better who learned the moves (or moved beyond a knowledge of how the pieces moved but nothing more) after the age of 30. Probably not even after the age of 20.

Aside from anything else as an adu ...[text shortened]... n you're a child (unless you happen to be a Victorian era 4 year old chimney sweep I suppose).
well, he's gained only 200 points since I started, so I'm still winning hands down. 🙂 ...although those 200 points from 2530 to 2730 might be tad harder to conquer than my progress so far. 😛

seriously though, the kid was 2000 at the age of ten. his progress on the higher levels is just staggering. I wonder how young he started? his first tournament was at the age of 8, but he had probably been playing a while already?

s

Moves
24 Jan 08

Ralph Wetzell achieved his title in 1996 at the age of 50. In the first part of his book he says he was an active tournament player of class A/B strength as late as 1979. Extrapolating backward, then, at the age of about 33 he was rated roughly 1800. So he progressed from there upward enough, whether in fits and spurts, or slowly and steadily, that it wasn't until he hit 50 that he'd earned his title. But the crucial jump from class strength to mastery occurred in his late 30s and his 40s.

YS

Lurking about

Moves
24 Jan 08
1 edit

Okay. Here are some thoughts from a guy who's trying it himself: http://www.chessville.com/Editorials/RosesRants/CanOldPlayersImproveAllThatMuch.htm

s

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Yuri Sumnoffabich
[b]hei, I was expecting an answer like: "yes, I know someone that blah blah"...not endlessly debates on learning at different ages....

Okay. Here are some thoughts from a guy who's trying it himself: http://www.chessville.com/Editorials/RosesRants/CanOldPlayersImproveAllThatMuch.htm[/b]
Interesting article.

FL

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by scandium
Interesting article.
Interesting article, but frankly Mr Rose has since shown the typical decline of a chess player entering his fifties:
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=118208A

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Interesting article, but frankly Mr Rose has since shown the typical decline of a chess player entering his fifties:
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=118208A
yeah, I noticed that as well. didn't show any staying power with his articles either, which makes me wonder how much effort he put on his study in reality.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
24 Jan 08

with age skill diminishes?...thats BS....isn't Korchnoi 105 and still a strong GM?

With age comes less study....keep up yer studies and yer fine.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jan 08

GM jesse kraai apparently got his title at 34. although that's really not terribly old, is it?

N

The sky

Moves
24 Jan 08

Originally posted by wormwood
well, he's gained only 200 points since I started, so I'm still winning hands down. 🙂 ...although those 200 points from 2530 to 2730 might be tad harder to conquer than my progress so far. 😛

seriously though, the kid was 2000 at the age of ten. his progress on the higher levels is just staggering. I wonder how young he started? his first tournament was at the age of 8, but he had probably been playing a while already?
He learned how the pieces move when he was five, but wasn't interested. He didn't really start playing before the age of eight.