Attacking Advice

Attacking Advice

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
01 Aug 07

Can you give some advice on how to formulate a successful attack on your opponent? What is your "plan of attack" when playing as white or as black?

S

Moves
01 Aug 07

are you talking about an attack on the enemy king? or just an attack in general?

SS

Moves
01 Aug 07
3 edits

A

Moves
01 Aug 07

It`s quite simple actually, and involves three steps.

1. Develop your pieces to their optimum attacking spots.
2. Open the enemy king using either kingside or queenside pawns. (Depending on which side he castled).
3. Checkmate

SS

Moves
01 Aug 07

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
01 Aug 07

Originally posted by Stockton
are you talking about an attack on the enemy king? or just an attack in general?
either one

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
01 Aug 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
thats some great advice there, I think I will get that book, "Art of Attack in Chess"

Thanks alot!

T
Chessplaya

NY

Moves
01 Aug 07
1 edit

1. You must have a positional advantage, it could be space, material, better minor piece(s), opposite colored bishops, lead in development, etc.

2. You must have a degree of control on the center and space advantage on K-Side

3. Manuever pieces to best squares and induce weaknesses in the enemy position. These could include an h7-h6, g7-g6, etc.

4. If the center is locked, the position may call for a pawn storm or bayonette attack. If not, a piece sacrifice is almost always used to break open the enemy position, targetting the weaknesses. This is also used to open diagonals, files, or bring new pieces into the attack with tempo

5. After the pawn or piece breakthrough, the rest is mainly tactics. More sacrifices could be used to break down the enemy position or weave the mating net. However, most attacks end only in material advantage or transition into the endgame.

Lastly, you must always consider your own king safety. Preferably where your opponent cannot check you king, therefore gaining tempo. Counterattacks are common since the opponent is often at an advantage in material, or can sacrifice material back for the initiative. Also watch out for central counterthrusts by the opponent.

*The Art of Attack is a great book and I have read it. Storming the Barricades by Larry Christiensen, Fire On Board, or Alekhine/Kasparov games are all great for studying the method of attack.

The Keres book about the Middlegame has good parts about attack but it's a very small book with only a few snapshot of the big picture so I wouldn't buy it if you want an attacking manual. It is very inexpensive to purchase used, however, so still a great deal.

M
Dutch

Moves
01 Aug 07

Originally posted by Akashic
It`s quite simple actually, and involves three steps.

1. Develop your pieces to their optimum attacking spots.
2. Open the enemy king using either kingside or queenside pawns. (Depending on which side he castled).
3. Checkmate
Ah,...

Now I see.

I´ll just have to checkmate my opponent and then I win.
Well lets try that then! 😛

J

Moves
01 Aug 07

Originally posted by ChessJester
Can you give some advice on how to formulate a successful attack on your opponent? What is your "plan of attack" when playing as white or as black?
Control the four center squares with an iron fist and that will really help you

d

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by Judah1
Control the four center squares with an iron fist and that will really help you
I think that's a huge myth.