An

An "all in one" chess manual?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
22 Nov 09
1 edit

I was at the bookstore and there were about 100 chess books to choose from.
Most were openings or opening variations. A few endgame books and some tactics books.
None had the "all in one" approach except for some basic ones that are too easy for me.
My 1600 rating here is only because I am beating up on lower rated players. I am about 1400 on other websites.

I do not want to have a bunch of books, I just want one to start studying and finally improve.

I looked online and thought about getting Lasker's manual of chess?
I'm an adult player in my 30's so I'm not looking to be the next best player, just a little better.
Anyone studied that book? Or should I keep looking?

E

Moves
22 Nov 09

If you want to improve, then don't read books, train tactics. I think Chesstempo is the best site for training tacitcs and it's free.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
22 Nov 09

I consider GM John Nunn's "Understanding Chess Move by Move" to be an excellent all in one book. It is a modern, practical, and more accurate version of Chernev's "Logical Chess Move by Move", which inspired Nunn's approach. IMHO!

Paul

A

Moves
22 Nov 09

That book was there! I didn't buy anything out of frustration.

A

Moves
22 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Eladar
If you want to improve, then don't read books, train tactics. I think Chesstempo is the best site for training tacitcs and it's free.
Just tactics isn't going to teach me opening traps or endgame technique or strategy. etc etc

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
22 Nov 09

My 1600 rating here is only because I am beating up on lower rated players. I am about 1400 on other websites.
Same here, as an aside, and for the same reason. My peak USCF rating was 1848, but I normally hover in the 1700's, but my site rating is currently 1920 because I am getting wins from lower-rated players (although Niculae from Romania, a 1450 something player, is net points positive against me- he's got my number!). I'm playing for fun and will play anyone.

I should also add that every Nunn book I've ever read has been great for helping all aspects of my chess. He writes stuff that "sticks in my head", and tends to surface when I am playing tournament games. My successes come from him.

Paul

NMD

Moves
22 Nov 09

I just did a few tactics on chesstempo after reading your advice Eladar so your advice is not in vain.

A

Moves
22 Nov 09

I study tactics.
I just want a good manual to explain the "why?" of the moves.

Or the "why?" of the openings. Or what do I do now? etc.

I found "My System" by Nimzowitch and the reviews say It will be too advanced for me.

With Lasker's manual It may be out-dated, it was written almost 100 years ago!

A

Moves
22 Nov 09

I'm still looking on-line.

A

Moves
22 Nov 09

Jeremy Silman books are too advanced also.
You go from basic chess books to the 1800 range and nothing in between?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Nov 09

there is no quick fix.

h

Moves
22 Nov 09

Originally posted by wormwood
there is no quick fix.
RAMPANT CHESS

A

Moves
22 Nov 09
2 edits

Originally posted by wormwood
there is no quick fix.
I wasn't asking for a quick fix. I was asking for a book that covers openings to endings.

And most of those are out dated by 100 years.

Just asking for a book recommendation...not asking to be a master.

M

Moves
22 Nov 09
1 edit

Maybe Silman's amateur mind book would be good?

Actually, the best overall training course I've been through was by far the Josh Waitzkin course on chessmaster. It's an all in one that's very fun also, and you'll remember everything.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Nov 09

Originally posted by Automaton
I wasn't asking for a quick fix. I was asking for a book that covers openings to endings.
there is none. the opening alone would take several volumes, and you'd still be just scratching the surface.