Aiming for a Win on Time

Aiming for a Win on Time

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

Originally posted by Chaswray
Sorry I didnt write that, so as you so eloquently told me in an earlier post..."Stop posting if you don't read what you're responding to" I've never said a player shouldn't be allowed to win on time. My gripe is with people who feel their opponent should resign because of whatever reason๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
Well, there's a darn good reason my opponents should resign: my rating would go up. But they are such stingy jerks, depriving me of my just rewards.

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
Actually, if I was in his position, I probably would have just resigned because even if I were to win that on time, in my mind it still counts as a loss. I've even done that before, when my opponent ran into time trouble but I was in a terrible position, I have resigned. Maybe if I cared more about my Yahoo! rating I would do something different.
Now that's the spirit! Those rating are not important in the grand scheme of things, and it's clear your opponent had more concern about his rating than you did about yours.

Ummm..... so why did you not resign when you realized your game was being interrupted?

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Jan 06

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

So what you're saying is only respond to your post if we agree that your opponent was the only asshole that played in this particular game. Do I have it right now?
Huh? You mean there were TWO people playing that game?

Who would-a thought!

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Jan 06

Originally posted by dpressnell
Well, there's a darn good reason my opponents should resign: my rating would go up. But they are such stingy jerks, depriving me of my just rewards.
True, true they only think of themselves. How terribly unthoughtful of your opponents๐Ÿ˜›

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Jan 06

Huh? You mean there were TWO people playing that game?

Who would-a thought!
Yes, but there was only one that mattered in this thread....don't you see?๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜€

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

True, true they only think of themselves. How terribly unthoughtful of your opponents๐Ÿ˜›
It's not just that they win games against me, they also try their best to make it hard for me in the games I DO win.

And when I have a sure win, they try to get a draw! Man, I tell ya!

I've even had people FLAG me when I took too long to move. It was an accident that I didn't move quickly enough, but just see if some people care about that.

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

Yes, but there was only one that mattered in this thread....don't you see?๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜€
Yeah, but now you tell me there were two people, that changes things. I'm going to have to think this all over AGAIN, and it will be the third time!

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Jan 06

Yeah, but now you tell me there were two people, that changes things. I'm going to have to think this all over AGAIN, and it will be the third time!
Okay, let me explain it to you again, slowly this time......You see he was playing a game of chess and๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

Okay, let me explain it to you again, slowly this time......You see he was playing a game of chess and๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด
I think I see now. It was a game of chess, and there were TWO players. Right?

Actually, thinking about it, I like the notion that one person's conduct can be judged as if that were the only person in the world--that is not in relation to other people. That would allow me to cut in line at stores, run red lights, and all kinds of things, and if anybody yells at me, I can say "What a jerk that guy is!" What do you think? Can I get away with this? It would be cool!

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Jan 06

e

Moves
07 Jan 06
1 edit

So what you're saying is only respond to your post if we agree that your opponent was the only asshole that played in this particular game. Do I have it right now?
Not at all! You can very well think he was right in every way to try to force a win on time. But remember, the question was: How do ou feel about opponents trying to force a time win when they are in a lost position?

If you agree that it is polite and just great as my opponent thinks, great, if not, fine. But the fact that I asked him to resign later is not really relevant and neither is the fact that I left for 5 minutes. The question's scope is about the general idea, it is outside that narrow game.

That's what I mean when I write that my behavior is not really relevant to the thread. My behavior was only a lead in to the general question and that question is really the focus.

d

Moves
07 Jan 06

It would be cool for you, BUT some people might call you an asshole or even worse an immature jerk! So be carefull what you wish for๐Ÿ˜‰
Yeah, maybe you're right. It would be kinda like one of my opponents making me wait while he does something else, then telling me I should resign and telling me I should draw.

Yeah, something like that might make me play the game right down to the wire just to teach him a lesson, no matter how badly I might be losing.

C
NUTTING BUSTER

Baseball Purgatory

Moves
07 Jan 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
Not at all! You can very well think he was right in every way to try to force a win on time. But remember, the question was: How do ou feel about opponents trying to force a time win when they are in a lost position?

If you agree that it is polite and just great as my opponent thinks, great, if not, fine. But the fact that I asked him to resign later ...[text shortened]... My behavior was only a lead in to the general question and that question is really the focus.
Sorry, but that was NOT the question, and I quote from your very first post:

"But what do you guys think about this kind of behavior?" But now you want us to believe your question was:

"How do ou feel about opponents trying to force a time win when they are in a lost position?"

Make up your mind what is the question?

I believe most everyone answered your first question, but since the answers tended to bring your own actions into question,you want us to only address the"perceived" rudeness on the part of your opponent!

Does that sum it up?

e

Moves
07 Jan 06
3 edits

Yes, I already mentioned that "this kind of behavior" in that context meant "trying to force a win on time in a lost position" (which was my opponent's behavior) They are equivalent questions but one can be used outside of context to mean something else and the other can stand by itself and still have its intended purpose.

I'm really tired of your bullshit. I already wrote that I didn't just want you guys to address the "perceived rudeness" of my opponent, it has little to do with my opponent. It is about the general question: How do you feel about winning on time in a lost position? You don't have to think my opponent was rude, you only hae to state your opinion. I made that crystal clear in the previous post where you used similar totally inaccurate oversimplifications.

I really should just stop replying to you, you are an utter waste of my time. You are only trying to annoy me because you take statements out of context and twist my words. Even after I clarify something, you continue with your misrepresentations. I've had enough,