Aiming for a Win on Time

Aiming for a Win on Time

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
It's New York; it's expected.
Ah fair enough then...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
LOL, but it is IMO impolite to keep on playing a lost position just because your opponent is low on time, epecially when your opponent had to do something unplanned. If you'll notice, GMs almost always resign in lost positions instead of hoping for a time win. (Unlike an OTB tournament, I was forced to help my parents during the match.)

As for my compl ...[text shortened]... hen you have clearly lost tactically, materially and positionally. Do you think it's polite?
I'll say this; before a few months ago, I hadn't played a timed game in over 20 years. But I wanted to start playing again OTB, so I've played some games at FICS and USCL. If I get myself in time trouble, it's my fault. I personally would probably resign IF I was in a normally resignable position. However, it is reasonable for people to play for a win on time if they so choose. Time is a factor in timed games and the rules say if you use up your time, you lose. I'm still working on using my time effectively; in OTB time trouble has cost me about half my losses in the last four months.

Let me ask you; if you were playing in the finals of an OTB tourney for a $1000 prize and your opponent was up a piece with a won position but only 12 seconds left on the clock, would you resign??

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Jan 06

LOL, but it is IMO impolite to keep on playing a lost position just because your opponent is low on time, epecially when your opponent had to do something unplanned. If you'll notice, GMs almost always resign in lost positions instead of hoping for a time win. (Unlike an OTB tournament, I was forced to help my parents during the match.)

As for my compl ...[text shortened]... hen you have clearly lost tactically, materially and positionally. Do you think it's polite?
Is asking for your opponent to resign polite?

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
All depends on if you tell them how you going to mate them, thier wife and pillage thier house.

e

Moves
05 Jan 06

Do you expect impoliteness to be met with politeness?

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
05 Jan 06

I'm still waiting for an answer to no1 question... which would be interesting.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
05 Jan 06

If someone were to ask me to resign even I was planning on resigning next move I would continue playing (and using up as much time as possible) until checkmate.

Spite.

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
05 Jan 06
1 edit

If someone were to ask me to resign even I was planning on resigning next move I would continue playing (and using up as much time as possible) until checkmate.

Spite.
Agreed, it's just bad form to ask someone to resign.

Moves
05 Jan 06

What about the guy who you were playing against exigentsky, he had to sit there for 5-7 minutes waiting while you fannied about putting a shelf up or something. Then, after sitting around waiting for you to come back he has to listen to you asking him to resign, I would be ever so slightly fooked off if I was your opponent. You won the game, what's your problem?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
05 Jan 06

If you'll notice, GMs almost always resign in lost positions instead of hoping for a time win. (Unlike an OTB tournament, I was forced to help my parents during the match.)

As for my complaint, it is more general, it's not about winning or losing for me. It's about the idea of desperately trying for a time win when you have clearly lost tactically, materially and positionally. Do you think it's polite?
GMs resign because they know their opponent will force the win in time. not because they thought it would be polite. there's nothing polite about bad time-management.

time-controls are a fundamental aspect of chess. just like tactics, strategy or opening theory. fantasizing about "I could have won if I had just a little bit more time" is just as pointless as "I could've won if I didn't do that last move. can I take it back?"

if you have to leave the game while in better position, well, that's very unfortunate. but it isn't your opponent's fault. he has no control on how you use your time, thus he cannot be responsible for your actions.

G

Moves
05 Jan 06

i personally think you should resign only when you see a concrete unanswerable variation your opponent would play with no problems to win. therefore GMs resign earlier than club players because they know they are lost and know their opponents will defeat them. however it is not totally unreasonable to make your opponent prove his win and actually make the moves, technique, even if its simply not making a huge blunder is a huge part of chess. also, i think it is completely a dick move to ask your opponent to resign, i know sometimes it seems futile to be looking at your opponent try to get out of forced mate in one but its still his choice to resign.

z

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'll say this; before a few months ago, I hadn't played a timed game in over 20 years. But I wanted to start playing again OTB, so I've played some games at FICS and USCL. If I get myself in time trouble, it's my fault. I personally would probably resign IF I was in a normally resignable position. However, it is reasonable for people to play for a win on ...[text shortened]... as up a piece with a won position but only 12 seconds left on the clock, would you resign??
In an over the board tourney, I would continue playing. If I was up the material, I would stop the clock and ask the TD for a delay clock (assuming one isn't present). If he denies my request, I would offer a draw and if denied claim inssuficient losing chances. If you have a delay of >3 seconds, the whole thing is moot.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
05 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Gambitzoid
however it is not totally unreasonable to make your opponent prove his win and actually make the moves, technique, even if its simply not making a huge blunder is a huge part of chess. also, i think it is completely a dick move to ask your opponent to resign,
Changed your tone a bit, haven't you?

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=14783&page=6

D

e

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by TheGambit
What about the guy who you were playing against exigentsky, he had to sit there for 5-7 minutes waiting while you fannied about putting a shelf up or something. Then, after sitting around waiting for you to come back he has to listen to you asking him to resign, I would be ever so slightly fooked off if I was your opponent. You won the game, what's your problem?
It was beyond my control as I explained, I don't see this as rudeness.

e

Moves
05 Jan 06

Originally posted by Chakan
I'm still waiting for an answer to no1 question... which would be interesting.
I don't think it is particularly polite to ask an opponent to resign and save both of you time, but in those circumstances, it was not all that inappropriate.