Freedom of Religion

Freedom of Religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
24 Apr 22

How would you define freedom of religion? What limits on it should there be?

Moves
24 Apr 22

Freedom to believe whatever you want.
Cannot hurt or impede anyone or anything.

F

Moves
24 Apr 22

@chessataxia said
Freedom to believe whatever you want.
Cannot hurt or impede anyone or anything.
A definition of freedom of religion would perhaps encompass the exercise and application of religion and not just the beliefs that a religion comprises.

Moves
24 Apr 22
2 edits

Depends on the "application" that you speak of.

I'm sure many radical Muslims think it's their right to blow people up but I wouldn't say that is their "Freedom of Religion"

Freedom of Religion is about beliefs.

Not actions or rituals.

(or delusional ideals)

F

Moves
24 Apr 22
1 edit

@chessataxia said
Freedom of Religion is about beliefs.

Not actions or rituals.
Well, I get what you mean, but this thread is not supposed to be about "thoughtcrimes" or proscribed beliefs.

It is about "actions and rituals" and other behaviours that are related to the exercise of freedom of religion. But thanks anyway.

F

Moves
24 Apr 22

@chessataxia said
I'm sure many radical Muslims think it's their right to blow people up but I wouldn't say that is their "Freedom of Religion".
Well, I wouldn't agree with any definition of freedom of religion that included a "right to blow people up" for what are [or are claimed to be] religious reasons. So, we have our first "limit" as requested by the OP.

Moves
24 Apr 22
1 edit

Rule #1

No bombs.

Moves
24 Apr 22

Rule #2

No agnostics.

F

Moves
28 Apr 22

@fmf said
How would you define freedom of religion? What limits on it should there be?
Firing that coach for praying in front of his team seems to be an abrogation of his freedom of religion and his freedom of worship. I think banning him for his prayer has far more of a smell of 'danger' to society than any 'danger' that those supporting him being banned can credibly suggest there is from letting him pray on a sports field like that.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Apr 22

@fmf said
Firing that coach for praying in front of his team seems to be an abrogation of his freedom of religion and his freedom of worship. I think banning him for his prayer has far more of a smell of 'danger' to society than any 'danger' that those supporting him being banned can credibly suggest there is from letting him pray on a sports field like that.
Our US Constitution says differently.

F

Moves
28 Apr 22

@suzianne said
Our US Constitution says differently.
Isn't the 1st amendment there to stop the government from setting up "the" Church of America and then discriminating against those that do not adhere to this "state religion"? To be continued on the other thread.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Apr 22

@fmf said
Isn't the 1st amendment there to stop the government from setting up "the" Church of America and then discriminating against those that do not adhere to this "state religion"? To be continued on the other thread.
Do you think state institutions such as a Capitol building, or a high school, should display, in a conspicuous place, the "Ten Commandments"?

This is the kind of thing the 1st Amendment prevents.

Moves
29 Apr 22

@suzianne said
Do you think state institutions such as a Capitol building, or a high school, should display, in a conspicuous place, the "Ten Commandments"?

This is the kind of thing the 1st Amendment prevents.
Isn’t that sort of what FMF was saying to you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Apr 22

@divegeester said
Isn’t that sort of what FMF was saying to you?
No.

Moves
30 Apr 22

@suzianne said
No.
I think it was.