The leap from created to immortal

The leap from created to immortal

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Jul 20

Almost all religions make a leap from the belief that we were created to the belief that we will or can have everlasting life.

Doesn't this say more about the reality of human nature than it does about the reality of the universe?

Moves
19 Jul 20
1 edit

@fmf said
Almost all religions make a leap from the belief that we were created to the belief that we will or can have everlasting life.

Doesn't this say more about the reality of human nature than it does about the reality of the universe?
I think the desire to understand where we originate from, combined with the need to hope that we are going somewhere is a powerful cognitive intoxicant.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
19 Jul 20

@fmf said

Can or will the universe cease to exist? Will man cease to exist when the known universe ceases to exist?

What does it mean that humans look up to the sky and ask "is there more than this?" "What happens after I die?"

I think it in man's nature, as a created being, to conceive of something greater than himself, and perceive and take hold of it.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
19 Jul 20
1 edit

@divegeester said
I think the desire to understand where we originate from, combined with the need to hope that we are going somewhere is a powerful cognitive intoxicant.
Intoxicant - an intoxicating substance

What, if I may ask, out of my own curiosity, do you think is the substance of "the desire to understand" and "the need to hope"?

How would you define and/or describe their substance?

Moves
19 Jul 20

@secondson said

What, if I may ask, out of my own curiosity, do you think is the "substance" of "the desire to understand" and "the need to hope"?

Why have you put “substance” in quotation marks?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
19 Jul 20

@divegeester said
Why have you put “substance” in quotation marks?
I fixed it.

I think I was merely trying to emphasize to focus on the word as the ingredient relative to the word "intoxicant" as used by you to describe "desire" and "need".

If I had said what you said, I'm not sure I could answer my own question.

Moves
19 Jul 20

@secondson said

What, if I may ask, out of my own curiosity, do you think is the substance of "the desire to understand" and "the need to hope"?

The “desire to understand “ is an expression of the human predisposition to understand the world around us and our part within it, including our origins and destination.

“Intoxicating” is a metaphor. Have you researched the meaning of “metaphor” yet? It seems not.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Jul 20

@secondson said
Can or will the universe cease to exist? Will man cease to exist when the known universe ceases to exist?

What does it mean that humans look up to the sky and ask "is there more than this?" "What happens after I die?"

I think it in man's nature, as a created being, to conceive of something greater than himself, and perceive and take hold of it.
Most will tell you that it centers around a fear of death (or some such).

SRB

Moves
19 Jul 20

@divegeester said
Intoxicants depress cognitive function ultimately resulting in confusional states. I suspect that whilst the literal meaning of what you have written makes little sense you wrote this with the purpose of communicating something else and so respectfully ask you what you are trying to communicate?

Moves
19 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
Intoxicants depress cognitive function ultimately resulting in confusional states. I suspect that whilst the literal meaning of what you have written makes little sense you wrote this with the purpose of communicating something else and so respectfully ask you what you are trying to communicate?
If you too struggle with interpreting metaphors, then perhaps try substituting my evocative and flowery “intoxicant” with any of these potential alternatives:

- motivator
- stimulant
- driver

PS “flowery” is another metaphor, sorry!

SRB

Moves
19 Jul 20

@divegeester said
If you too struggle with interpreting metaphors, then perhaps try substituting my evocative and flowery “intoxicant” with any of these potential alternatives:

- motivator
- stimulant
- driver

PS “flowery” is another metaphor, sorry!
If you can't see that I am pointing out to you that communication can have more than one level of meaning with reference to your history of not looking for the other person's meaning, whilst focusing on the detail of a single statement, there will be little point in engaging in this further. 😉

F

Moves
19 Jul 20

@secondson said

Don't know. And don't know. We can but speculate.

I think it is perfectly understandable that humans ask these questions.

I agree with this ~ except I would replace the last seven words with "...and perceive that they are taking hold of it."

Moves
19 Jul 20

@petewxyz said
If you can't see that I am pointing out to you that communication can have more than one level of meaning with reference to your history of not looking for the other person's meaning, whilst focusing on the detail of a single statement, there will be little point in engaging in this further. 😉
Please feel free to make your own posting choices if you find the use of “intoxicant”, and my subsequent explanation of it, difficult to process.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
19 Jul 20
2 edits

@divegeester said
The “desire to understand “ is an expression of the human predisposition to understand the world around us and our part within it, including our origins and destination.

“Intoxicating” is a metaphor. Have you researched the meaning of “metaphor” yet? It seems not.
Fine, I'll accept that, but you said that the desire to understand and the need to know are "powerful cognitive intoxicant(s)", and I understand how you're using "powerful cognitive intoxicant" as a metaphor to answer FMF's OP. I have no issue with that.

I guess I was merely asking for more elaboration on your initial thoughts, like maybe you might add how you think those powerful cognitive intoxicant(s)" came about.

Like, did God create in man those desires and needs"? Or perhaps they develop in man as a result of the separation from the spiritual life and fellowship with God?

Follow my drift?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
19 Jul 20

@fmf said

[b]I think it in ...[text shortened]... except I would replace the last seven words with "...and perceive that they are taking hold of it."

I don't want to speculate. I want to know. And I do.

I'm glad you "think it is perfectly understandable", but I asked "what does it mean"?

I agree with this ~ except I would replace the last seven words with "...and perceive that they are taking hold of it."

Interesting play on words.

I think I should have said, "I think it is in man's nature, as a created being, to perceive of something greater than himself, and take hold of it."