1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 19:041 edit
    I heard someone say once, those of faith and those who are atheists seem to be adamant in their beliefs. Neither has proof for their assertions. For the person of faith, they must justify their belief by explaining how a loving God could allow suffering in the world, as where the atheist must then explain why everything else exists.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 19:14
    @whodey said
    I heard someone say once, those of faith and those who are atheists seem to be adamant in their beliefs. Neither has proof for their assertions. For the person of faith, they must justify their belief by explaining how a loving God could allow suffering in the world, as where the atheist must then explain why everything else exists.
    Atheists are doing a much better job of that than believer's are at explaining why their god sucks.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 19:46
    @sonhouse said
    Atheists are doing a much better job of that than believer's are at explaining why their god sucks.
    Everyone of us are people of faith, denying anything that disagrees with you and making truth claims that can’t be backed up isn’t being better. Also describing the god between your ears and the universe as you think it is, doesn’t mean you’re right about anything!
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 19:50
    @whodey said
    If you believe in a certain god then you must
    be able to explain perceived anomalies in his
    behaviour - that stands to reason.

If you do not believe in god why should you
    have any idea about the origins of the universe?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 19:52
    @kellyjay said
    Everyone of us are people of faith, denying anything that disagrees with you and making truth claims that can’t be backed up isn’t being better. Also describing the god between your ears and the universe as you think it is, doesn’t mean you’re right about anything!
    What about someone who does not believe
    in god and has no knowledge of anything?

They could still be right about god.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 20:38
    @whodey said
    I don’t believe anyone would make such a statement, I suspect you have made it up yourself.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 20:50
    @wolfgang59 said
    What about someone who does not believe
    in god and has no knowledge of anything?

They could still be right about god.
    Not believing someone is in your home, is different than believing no one is in your home, how? In both cases the beliefs reveal the absence of someone being in the home, do they not?

In addition to that if the question is also about a specific person even being real let alone in the home having either view either way shows a belief in either the existence or nonexistents of that person. You can not have no knowledge of someone or thing you deny, because you deny it. No opinion one way or the other shows no belief, any stand for or against shows a belief.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Mar '19 21:00
    @kellyjay said
    Not believing someone is in your home, is different than believing no one is in your home, how? In both cases the beliefs reveal the absence of someone being in the home, do they not?

In addition to that if the question is also about a specific person even being real let alone in the home having either view either way shows a belief in either the existence or nonexistent ...[text shortened]... u deny it. No opinion one way or the other shows no belief, any stand for or against shows a belief.
    what is 100% sure is no god comes down to fix our boo boo's. Your god is a hands off and it doesn't really give a hoot if humanity survives or not.

HUMANS are the ones figuring out what is good to eat, what is poison. Don't eat Pork. WOW, great advice. What about bad mushrooms? or other toxic plants? Or toxic frogs? I don't hear any advice about THAT in the bible.

HUMANS figured that bit out, no help coming from your hands off god.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 02:24
    @sonhouse said
    what is 100% sure is no god comes down to fix our boo boo's. Your god is a hands off and it doesn't really give a hoot if humanity survives or not.

HUMANS are the ones figuring out what is good to eat, what is poison. Don't eat Pork. WOW, great advice. What about bad mushrooms? or other toxic plants? Or toxic frogs? I don't hear any advice about THAT in the bible.

HUMANS figured that bit out, no help coming from your hands off god.
    Like I said, the real one is quite different than the one between your ears.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 02:39
    @kellyjay said
    Like I said, the real one is quite different than the one between your ears.
    Every god and all gods - including your Abrahamic God - exist only "between people's ears", by which I take it you are referring to their brains and therefore mean they are the product of people's thoughts ~ and, for those who have those thoughts, their God is, of course, perceived as "the real one". My Muslim friends believe they follow "the real one". Jews believe they follow "the real one". Hindus believe they follow "the real one" [or ones]. You believe you follow "the real one".
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 04:20
    @fmf said
    Every god and all gods - including your Abrahamic God - exist only "between people's ears", by which I take it you are referring to their brains and therefore mean they are the product of people's thoughts ~ and, for those who have those thoughts, their God is, of course, perceived as "the real one". My Muslim friends believe they follow "the real one". Jews believe they follow " ...[text shortened]... al one". Hindus believe they follow "the real one" [or ones]. You believe you follow "the real one".
    And... (wait for it)

What if they're all correct?

Wouldn't that show that God is more than what's between anyone's ears?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 04:35
    @kellyjay said
    Your analogy acknowledges the existence of both another person and of a home.

A better analogy is believing whether or not you have a home.

Or believing whether or not a house with a pink door exists.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 04:41
    @suzianne said
    And... (wait for it)

What if they're all correct?

Wouldn't that show that God is more than what's between anyone's ears?
    "Between the ears" would, nevertheless, be where the thoughts and beliefs and hopes about that multiform God would be.

"Between the ears" of Hindus would be where the Hindu Gods would be perceived. "Between the ears" of Christians would be where the Christian God would be perceived. And so on.

If one of the aims of each one of these competing religions is that its followers are convinced that their God is "the real one", then I suppose, in a manner of speaking, yes, "they're all correct".
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 09:401 edit
    @fmf said
    Every god and all gods - including your Abrahamic God - exist only "between people's ears", by which I take it you are referring to their brains and therefore mean they are the product of people's thoughts ~ and, for those who have those thoughts, their God is, of course, perceived as "the real one". My Muslim friends believe they follow "the real one". Jews believe they follow " ...[text shortened]... al one". Hindus believe they follow "the real one" [or ones]. You believe you follow "the real one".
    That is the rub isn't it, what is real is only true when what we think matches up with reality. If there is but one God and none of us know Him we are all wrong, if there are countless gods getting to know us we could all be right, if there is only One God and He has made Himself known to us, and excepts us to answer His call then only those who do have the real one. This takes us away from what do we think, to what is real independent of what we think.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 09:55
    @kellyjay said
    That is the rub isn't it, what is real is only true when what we think matches up with reality. If there is but one God and none of us know Him we are all wrong, if there are countless gods getting to know us we could all be right, if there is only One God and He has made Himself known to us, and excepts us to answer His call then only those who do have the real one. This takes us away from what do we think, to what is real independent of what we think.
    Speculation about supernatural things is all entirely subjective. Anyone can claim their god or gods are "the real ones". Literally anyone; literally any god or gods.

Even your threats of demented never ending divine retribution against those you think "the real one" is not the same as your "the real one" doesn't make your claims seem any more "true" or, indeed, anything other than subjective and speculative.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree