Sin

Sin

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Dec 14

Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?

Moves
08 Dec 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?[/b]
James 4:17

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

F

Moves
08 Dec 14

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?
Presumably, as a Christian, you define "sin" as acts that violate your God figure's will so I would have thought the personal behaviors you regard as "sin" are laid out in your religious literature, irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues. For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin", and the same would be said by many members of this community respective of their position on spirituality topics and issues.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Dec 14
1 edit

[b]Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?[/b]
I know that I have sin because my life's experience is exactly like Paul's in Romans 7.

Verse 15 - "For what I work out, I do not ackowledge; for what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do."

To one degree or another I do the things I hate (when apart from the Holy Spirit) and what I approve of morally I seem not to have to power to do.

Verse 16,17 - "But if what I do not will, this I do, I agree with the law that it is good. Now then it is no longer I that work it out but sin that dwells in me."

I do sense a "force" compelling me to act against the morality that I delight in and know to be good. This force is the power of sin in me.
Without the Holy Spirit's counter power, there is no hope for me.

Verse 19 - " For I do not do the good which I will, but the evil which I do not will, this I practice."

Something drags me down (when apart from abiding in Christ). The mind agrees with the righteous behavior but another power within drags me down towards evil doing.

Verse 20 - 24 - "But if what I do not will, this I do, it is no longer I that work it out but sin that dwells in me.

I find then the law with me who wills to do the good, that is, the evil is present with me.

For I delight in the law of God according to the inner man,

But I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members.

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death?

Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin."

I know a force works in my body dragging me down in some area or another against my mental agreement with right living according to God's law.

I know that the law of sin is more powerful than the law of my mind to agree with the goodness of God's law. A stronger law is needed to overcome the power of sin - "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 8:2)

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Dec 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Presumably, as a Christian, you define "sin" as acts that violate your God figure's will so I would have thought the personal behaviors you regard as "sin" are laid out in your religious literature, irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues. For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin", and the same would be said by many members of this community respective of their position on spirituality topics and issues.
"For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin", and the same would be said by many members of this community respective of their position on spirituality topics and issues." ~FMF

How about the behaviors of other people around the world: Do you regard any of their behaviors as sin? If so, which ones?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Dec 14

Originally posted by sonship
I know that I have sin because my life's experience is exactly like Paul's in Romans 7.

Verse 15 - "For what I work out, I do not ackowledge; for what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do."

To one degree or another I do the things I hate (when apart from the Holy Spirit) and what I approve of morally I seem not to have t ...[text shortened]... o overcome the power of sin - [b]"the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 8:2)
[/b]
Any specific personal behaviors you categorically regard as "sin" regardless of who commits them?

F

Moves
09 Dec 14

How about the behaviors of other people around the world: Do you regard any of their behaviors as sin? If so, which ones?
It's up to them. It's a notion that is bound up with their religious beliefs. If they believe an act of theirs is a "sin" then it's "sin" I suppose. I have met people who think it is a "sin" to masturbate, for example. If they reckon it's a "sin" then it's a "sin" in their minds, I'm sure.

F

Moves
09 Dec 14

An interesting on-topic sub-topic here would be if those in this community who believe in "sin" and believe that they commit "sins" were to talk about whether any of their personal behaviour in this forum constitutes "sin" or "sinful behaviour".

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
09 Dec 14

[b]Sin

I do not recognize the concept of sin.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Dec 14

[b]Sin

[/b]
I recognise the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.

Read a book!

Moves
09 Dec 14

Sin
Squandering time.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Dec 14

Originally posted by rwingett
I do not recognize the concept of sin.
Would you "recognize the concept" by a different name?

F

Moves
09 Dec 14

Would you "recognize the concept" by a different name?
It's "dosa" in Indonesian.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Dec 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
Sin

"James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them."

"For me, I regard none of my personal behaviors as "sin..."

"I know that I have sin because my life's experience is exactly like Paul's in Romans 7."

"I have met people who think it is a "sin" to masturbate, for example."

"I do not recognize the concept of sin."

"I recognise the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse."

"Squandering time."

Any additional 'personal behaviors you regard as sin?'

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
09 Dec 14

[b]Sin

The same as those I regard as Hask