1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 21:02
    Hey All Others,
    In my game Game 12260588, why didn't the system call a draw since my game has reached 3 occurrances of position? It should not need my opponent's permission.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 22:39
    It's not an automatic draw, because the game is still playable. It's up to the claimant to click the "claim draw" button when submitting the move. The only automatic draws are the ones where there is no possible move for a player whose turn it is to move.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 14:47
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    It's not an automatic draw, because the game is still playable. It's up to the claimant to click the "claim draw" button when submitting the move. The only automatic draws are the ones where there is no possible move for a player whose turn it is to move.
    Strictly speaking it should also be an automatic draw when there is no way either player can mate no matter how stupidly his opponent plays, but I believe that isn't currently implemented. It's in the FIDE laws, though.
    (The list of those situations is small, by the way. It only happens when both players have bare kings, or both players have kings plus one bishop each and the bishops are on the same colour squares, or one player has a bare king and the other only a king and either a bishop or a knight. In all other situations, including when both players have a knight or when they have opposite-colour bishops, it's possible to help-mate.)

In fact, third repetition is needs to be claimed over the board as well. So does a fifty-move draw. The fifth-repetition and 75-move draws, both new since 2014, are I think automatic, but the arbiter would have to spot them happening to apply them against the will of the players, which I'm not sure has ever happened. In any case, at my own club I doubt there has ever been an occasion where those new rules could apply. They're there, AFAICT, only to prevent silliness.
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 15:06
    I claimed a draw offer by clicking the draw offer button, but the system did not perform the forced draw.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '18 08:47
    Originally posted by @kingonpoint
    I claimed a draw offer by clicking the draw offer button, but the system did not perform the forced draw.
    Did you submit a move with the draw claim? That is necessary.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '18 16:15
    Shallow Blue,
    Yes, I submitted a move along with the draw offer.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Feb '18 17:25
    Originally posted by @kingonpoint
    Shallow Blue,
    Yes, I submitted a move along with the draw offer.
    The Point is not to send a draw offer, but to click on "Claim draw". The offer can be accepted or declined by your Opponent...a Claim is executed if valid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree