Computer use for making moves.

Computer use for making moves.

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
12 Sep 04
3 edits

I wonder what D.S.C.P. stands for? C.P.? Computer Player / Chess Program? I have played him 4 times and lost 2 and 1 hopelessly early on, and the other game I was convinced it was a draw and I kept messaging, and did message him in the other matches, but he never replied.

I also noticed that he never stops playing, within minutes of moving against him he bounces straight back. I think Flex may well have something here. Although, I'm not convinced as to how you could program a computer to navigate the website. 😕

I just tried to set up a game with him as a test, but he's not accepting any challenges.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by Exy
I wonder what D.S.C.P. stands for? C.P.? Computer Player / Chess Program?
Dunno if this has anything to do with this, but I found a page by a user called dscp where he's developing a chess engine to run on chess servers.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/dataspace/dscp/WorkLog.html?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.6

Maybe he's just testing the program on RHP, and if its running on the chess server, then that would explain how he/it interfaces with the web page, it doesn't need to.

This is something that either Russ or dscp would have to verify.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Sep 04

Ok, some further research,

the dscp that I found on google is 1 David H (don't want to go invading his privacy on here) . He's got a masters degree in computer science. He also sounds really good at chess, based on some chess opening analysis I read by him on the old benoni opening...

I don't think he'd have played as poorly as he did at the start on RHP, but an in-development chess program might.

Now, this might be completely off the mark, I also found a David H Stud in Ireland. Might be the same guy. 😉

D

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Dunno if this has anything to do with this, but I found a page by a user called dscp where he's developing a chess engine to run on chess servers.
"Gentlemen, when two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry we must always pay strict attention."

Special Agent Dale Cooper

R

London

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by Exy
Although, I'm not convinced as to how you could program a computer to navigate the website. 😕
Programming a computer to navigate a website such as RHP is not technically difficult. It is not very different from writing a web spider (the information-gathering program used by search engines such as Google.) If one wanted to do so, one might start at http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/lib/LWP.html. What can be tricky is writing it in such a way as not to place an unreasonable load on the servers hosting the target site.

To me, what is baffling is that dscp neither admits to being a computer player on his/its profile page nor takes steps to conceal this by (for instance) going offline for a few hours in every 24 and/or introducing some random variation into the amount of thinking time for each move.

If people are happy to continue playing against such an opponent, I think the TOS should be changed to allow computers if and only if they are declared as such in the profile page.

A
Drunken Shogun

on Satan's fork

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by flexmore
there are many strong human players at rhp.
there are also computers in use.
they mix together naturally.
the computers do not ruin the game - they give our best players a challenge!
computers will play amongst us whether we like it or not.
let the computers play openly.
make them admit to being a computer, and let them play.
flex:-)
By your first post you are suggesting that many of the top players here are cheaters (you also say that it is ok that they cheat, but that is not relevant).
But so far you have only accused Dscp of cheating.
So instead of this becoming another thread that blames someone for cheating (which partly happend already) you should try prving your point by mentioning more cheating people, or else this thread will just stay on the topic of whether Dscp is cheating or not.

FNM

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
12 Sep 04
1 edit

I wouldn't have taken part in this thread if it was just another thread that accused somebody of "cheating" - what Flexmore has discovered and to my mind presented a very convincing case is that DSCP is more than just a casual "cheat" (someone who advances their rating / rank via the means of computer aid) but, when you take into account Ragnorak's contribution, an ongoing project in computer player simulation, which to my mind is far more interesting and worthy of discussion.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
12 Sep 04

If DSCP is a computer program running on auto-pilot, then it stands to reason that one could beat it by copying the moves made by the opponent to which DSCP last lost. If DSCP hasn't changed books or updated the engine, and if the same amount of time is spent on each move once out of book, then someone should be able to get DSCP to repeat, move by move, a previous loss.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Sep 04
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
If DSCP is a computer program running on auto-pilot, then it stands to reason that one could beat it by copying the moves made by the opponent to which DSCP last lost.
Depends on whether its a learning chess program or not. It is possible that he has learning AI routines built into the engine. If its a masters project, then it is quite possible. I wrote a chess engine for my final year project in uni, but tbh, it was poor to average at best.

good test though.

D

WM

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by RolandYoung
Programming a computer to navigate a website such as RHP is not technically difficult. It is not very different from writing a web spider (the information-gathering program used by search engines such as Google.) If one wanted to do so, one might start at http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/lib/LWP.html. What can be tricky is writing it in such a way as not t ...[text shortened]... ould be changed to allow computers if and only if they are declared as such in the profile page.
I hope it is never allowed.Once you let 1 computer become a playing member of RHP,you are saying to all members who do or have thought of using a computer to assist them,that it is,well, kind of ok.The perfect foil to justify a little cheating.If the top players want to play a computer because it is a greater challenge,fine ,but not against an RHP computer member.This member dscp should be banned if it is proven that he has cheated. It is a slippery slope,I think best avoided.Just my thoughts.Mike

F

Moves
12 Sep 04

If DSCP is a computer program running on auto-pilot, then it stands to reason that one could beat it by copying the moves made by the opponent to which DSCP last lost. If DSCP hasn't changed books or updated the engine, and if the same amount of time is spent on each move once out of book, then someone should be able to get DSCP to repeat, move by move, a previous loss.
That depends on whether or not there is a learning function and whose move 🙂

Feivel

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by Feivel
That depends on whether or not there is a learning function and whose move 🙂

Feivel
Good point.

R

London

Moves
12 Sep 04
1 edit

If DSCP is a computer program running on auto-pilot, then it stands to reason that one could beat it by copying the moves made by the opponent to which DSCP last lost. If DSCP hasn't changed books or updated the engine, and if the same amou ...[text shortened]... ould be able to get DSCP to repeat, move by move, a previous loss.
The shareware program "Zillions of Games" includes a cheap-and cheerful chess engine (that cheerfully whops me even at quite fast time-per-move settings) and which does not always make the same move from the same position.

Given a fixed limit on 'thinking time' and variable load on the host machine, it is quite possible that, in a complex position, a computer chess engine will pick different moves from the same position, since the 'best move found so far' depends on just how many moves it gets to evaluate before time runs out.

I am agnostic about allowing openly declared chess engines to play as members without human assistance. What must surely not be allowed is for anyone to use a chess engine without declaring it. However much the style of dscp's play is appreciated, a proven, clandestine computer player should be expelled.

F

Moves
12 Sep 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Asher123
By your first post you are suggesting that many of the top players here are cheaters (you also say that it is ok that they cheat, but that is not relevant).
But so far you have only accused Dscp of cheating.
So instead of this becoming a ...[text shortened]... just stay on the topic of whether Dscp is cheating or not.

FNM
Cute Shaul 🙂

Feivel

F

Moves
12 Sep 04

Originally posted by RolandYoung
The shareware program "Zillions of Games" includes a cheap-and cheerful chess engine (that cheerfully whops me even at quite fast time-per-move settings) and which does not always make the same move from the same position.

Given a fixed limit on 'thinking time' and variable load on the host machine, it is quite possible that, in a complex position ...[text shortened]... style of dscp's play is appreciated, a proven, clandestine computer player should be expelled.
Well a game is a game. Doesn't matter who I am playing but I prefer to know.

Feivel