1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 14:56
    @Ponderable

I have finished the book now and actually I learned a bit about the near east conflict.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 16:15
    I'm reading Malin Persson Giolito: Quicksand (Störst av allt), and it is very good, well-written and unpredictable.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:00
    Stina Jackson: Silvervägen (The Silver Road)
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:19
    @torunn said
    Stina Jackson: Silvervägen (The Silver Road)
    WOW you must inhale books!!!

-VR
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:21
    @very-rusty said
    WOW you must inhale books!!!

-VR
    Books are good company. 🙂
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:25
    @torunn said
    Books are good company. 🙂
    The 28th of December you were reading something else, now another one. You must chain read. My mother was like that just one book right after the other. She told me the same thing as you about books being good company when no one was around.
    I suggested getting a cat or dog, but she figured they would be too much work. 😉

-VR
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:41
    @very-rusty said
    The 28th of December you were reading something else, now another one. You must chain read. My mother was like that just one book right after the other. She told me the same thing as you about books being good company when no one was around.
    I suggested getting a cat or dog, but she figured they would be too much work. 😉

-VR
    'that way I'm always blessed with good company even when I'm on my own.
  8. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:42
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    your mother gave you good advice
    I try to keep one book going at all times
    currently reading 'Valley Forge'
    I was ignorant for years in thinking that Valley Forge was a battle
    a very good book and cements my belief that Washington was our greatest president
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 17:48
    @torunn said
    'that way I'm always blessed with good company even when I'm on my own.
    I just personally think it is sad a person would have to count on a book for company.

I use to visit with my mother as much as possible. I can't imagine what it must be like living alone. I am sure books would be good company if that is the only source you have for companionship.

-VR
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 18:131 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I just personally think it is sad a person would have to count on a book for company.

I use to visit with my mother as much as possible. I can't imagine what it must be like living alone. I am sure books would be good company if that is the only source you have for companionship.

-VR
    You are absolutely wrong there, and I know we are many here who find intellectual challenge in reading. In fact, you are one of the few on this site who claim that reading is a sad substitute for company. We do have time for both friends and books, and family too.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 18:15
    @torunn said
    You are absolutely wrong there, and I know we are many here who find intellectual challenge in reading. In fact, you are one of the few on this site who claim that reading is a sad substitute for company. We do have time for both friends and books, and family too.
    NO, I said I think it is SAD if it is your only means of company!!!

-VR
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 18:161 edit
    @very-rusty said
    NO, I said I think it is SAD if it is your only means of company!!!

-VR
    And I say it isn't - I have many friends and a family, and I read books as most other people do because there is so much good literature. Do you really believe people read because they don't have enough company...?
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 18:19
    I read books to get away from company
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 18:19
    @torunn said
    And I say it isn't - I have many friends and a family, and I read books as most other people do because there is so much good literature. Do you really believe people read because they don't have enough company...?
    You are not understanding me....I said I think it is SAD if that is their only means of company. One needs more than a book in their life!!!
    THE END!

-VR
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '19 19:11
    @lemondrop said
    I read books to get away from company
    Yes, I can see you doing exactly that!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree