The Red Hot Pawn Prose Competition

The Red Hot Pawn Prose Competition

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by hopscotch
[b]UPDATE!

Two more entries are required for the judging to begin.

The three responses that I've had are spectacular. You guys would be surprised at the talent that's sitting right under your noses.

To potential entrants:

You may write about anything. You may even write an essay about Russel Crowe if you want.

I will not disclose your email address to anyone.[/b]
Quick question, does fiction count as prose?

S

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by jimmyb270
Yes, but the emphasis is on elaboration of language, so the words you actually use to tell the story is what's important.

h

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by Starrman
Yes, but the emphasis is on elaboration of language, so the words you actually use to tell the story is what's important.
Not necessarily, it takes a fine craftsmen to put words together. The words themselves don't matter on their own, it all depends on how good a chef you are.

Fiction, non-fiction, etc... prose is quite flexible.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
14 Apr 05

Not necessarily, it takes a fine craftsmen to put words together. The words themselves don't matter on their own, it all depends on how good a chef you are.

So, when are these so called proze's gonna be up for viewing?

h

Moves
14 Apr 05

I'm still waiting for 2 more entries.

I've received one promise.

YOU CAN'T RUSH ART, apparently.

S

Moves
14 Apr 05

Okay, I shall rephrase. Good prose is dependant on good use of language, poor porse is not. So no matter how good your story is, if you write it a la 'Peter and Jane':

Peter has a ball. The ball is red. Jane likes Peter's ball. etc

Then it is poor prose. If on the other hand you write it like this:

Peter rolled his foot around the circumference of the ball in a relaxed orbit, sending the ball spinning away from him. He watched it curve as it tried in vain to mount the small slope of the tarmac. It seemed suddenly alien against the black road, its red colour reminding him of Mars as it span through the solar system. Jane liked Mars, she said it was a planet of possibility, our closest neighbour. Suddenly Peter was very protective of his very own Mars and snatched it up for fear some passing spaceman might lay claim to it.

Then it is more likely to meet with interest.

n

Spokane, WA

Moves
14 Apr 05

Okay, I shall rephrase. Good prose is dependant on good use of language, poor porse is not. So no matter how good your story is, if you write it a la 'Peter and Jane':

Peter rolled his foot around the circum ...[text shortened]... ar some passing spaceman might lay claim to it.

Holy cow. That was very impressive scratch there Starrman. Coming from someone whose top three most frustrating things in her life includes her complete lack of ability with words, very impressive indeed. You have quite a talent.

You probably came up with that off the top of your head like it was nothing, huh. I have endless amazement for people who can accomplish such imagery.

Kudos!

ncrosby🙂

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by ncrosby
Holy cow. That was very impressive scratch there Starrman. Coming from someone whose top three most frustrating things in her life includes her complete lack of ability with words, very impressive indeed. You have quite a talent.

You probably came up with that off the top of your head like it was nothing, huh. I have endless amazement for people who can accomplish such imagery.

Kudos!

ncrosby🙂
"she" is a he!

fred

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by Freddie2004
"she" is a he!

fred
I think she should know whether she's a she or not!

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
14 Apr 05
1 edit

Peter rolled his foot around the circumference of the ball in a relaxed orbit, sending the ball spinning away from him. He watched it curve as it tried in vain to mount the small slope of the tarmac. It seemed suddenly alien against the ...[text shortened]... atched it up for fear some passing spaceman might lay claim to it.
Is that your entry? Shouldn't it have a title?

Oh, I spot a mistake!

n

Spokane, WA

Moves
14 Apr 05

Yeah, the "she" is me, and me is "she" 😀

e

Moves
14 Apr 05

Yes!

e

Moves
14 Apr 05

Peter rolled his foot around the circum ...[text shortened]... ar some passing spaceman might lay claim to it.

That's Dick.

e

Moves
14 Apr 05

*looks.... I am a she Yay 😀

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by ncrosby
Yeah, the "she" is me, and me is "she" 😀
It's ok freddie thinks everyone is a guy, must be his secret dream world. 🙂