The Pink Floyd fans thread

The Pink Floyd fans thread

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
08 Jan 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
Meddle

Yep, more Gilmour twiddling!
Aaw it’s much, much more than a bit of twiddling; excuse me whilst I go into raptures over this.

The intro starts with a slow build up; spaces between keyboard drops of liquid gold, then the dusting of symbols and the pace gently picks up with the wailing cry of a lone prehistoric creature flying in the distance; the synthesiser, it gathers momentum then Gilmour’s voice strong yet gentle, drifts in . . . .

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Try this for a beautiful piano rendition -

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Jan 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
The first time I heard 'Welcome to the Machine' from Wish You Were Here, I was blown away. The guitar solo is perfect.
I always thought Wish You Were Here their best album.
Better even than Dark Side of the Moon.

IP

Moves
09 Jan 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
End of the day they're all great albums though; there was nothing like Floyd before Floyd, and nothing like them since.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Jan 18

The first time I heard 'Welcome to the Machine' from Wish You Were Here, I was blown away. The guitar solo is perfect.
Actually, I meant the synthesizer solo. 😳

I have no idea what I was smoking when I wrote 'the guitar solo'.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Jan 18

Animals is another favorite, but I agree, WYWH is my top pick.

IP

Moves
09 Jan 18

I don't suppose anyone noticed; they were probably all smoking it too.

Gothenburg

Moves
09 Jan 18

I'm older than most of you, I think, but this is my favourite - Another Brick In The Wall.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
09 Jan 18

Flash the readies, what's the deal?
Got to make it to the next meal.
Trying to keep up with the turning of the wheel.
Mile after mile
Stone after stone
Turn to speak, but you're alone
A million miles from home you're on your own.

Obscured by Clouds is one of the most under rated Floyd albums ever...often lost under the popular three.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Jan 18

Originally posted by @torunn
I'm older than most of you, I think, but this is my favourite - Another Brick In The Wall.
When I first heard The Wall, what struck me was the seeming incongruency of the songs; I was never sure just what it was all about. The album kind of fell together for me finally when I saw the movie. Deeply psychologically disturbing, in a way. I saw it with a male friend of mine and he seemed to understand it in a way that I could not. To this day, I'm not sure what to think of the mind that conceived this album.

All that said, "Another Brick in the Wall" still receives heavy airplay here on classic rock stations. It's got a rather catchy pop beat (which I later heard was "disco-inspired" ). I also rather like "Run Like Hell" from this album.

Gothenburg

Moves
09 Jan 18
1 edit

When I first heard The Wall, what struck me was the seeming incongruency of the songs; I was never sure just what it was all about. The album kind of fell together for me finally when I saw the movie. Deeply psychologically disturbing, in a way. I saw it with a male friend of mine and he seemed to understand it in a way that I could not. To this ...[text shortened]... which I later heard was "disco-inspired" ). I also rather like "Run Like Hell" from this album.
I have never really listened to Pink Floyd,' Another Brick in The Wall' with kids singing, is my only experience of his music. I suppose I was too busy listening to other music at that time. But now that this thread has drawn my attention to it, I will.

Moves
09 Jan 18

Echoes

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jan 18

Originally posted by @torunn
"The Wall" was when I turned my back on them.
Too pretentious. Hated it.

Moves
10 Jan 18

"The Wall" was when I turned my back on them.
Too pretentious. Hated it.
I like it very much but it would be better as a single album rather than a double.
Agree that Wish You Were Here is their best album, even over Dark Side of The Moon.
Some of the early psychedelic stuff I'm not so keen on.
The band is not the same without Waters, I think he brings an acerbic edge.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
10 Jan 18

Moves
10 Jan 18

Originally posted by @drewnogal
Aaw it’s much, much more than a bit of twiddling; excuse me whilst I go into raptures over this.

The intro starts with a slow build up; spaces between keyboard drops of liquid gold, then the dusting of symbols and the pace gently picks up with the wailing cry of a lone prehistoric creature flying in the distance; the synthesiser, it gathers momentum th ...[text shortened]... reen and submarine

Try this for a beautiful piano rendition - [youtube]FI0fyOaD94Y[/youtube]
May be a tad contentious this, but don't you think Gilmour's voice ISN'T particularly strong?

But boy, can he play guitar ( from almost David Bowie )