The investment game

The investment game

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19
1 edit

Maybe...
I know a lot of people are turning to real physical assets like gold and silver and collectable coins because they don't trust paper investments.
If it gets real bad my piece of paper that says 1 share of McDonald's stock will buy me nothing.
A real gold or silver coin will ALWAYS have purchasing power.

So that could be running the price up on collectable coins.
Most people buy bullion with no collector value but some do turn to collectable coins.
Be careful though. I collect coins and I love them more than anything. If I had to choose between family/love life and my silver I will always choose my silver.

Hold until old!

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19

Also!
You better hurry if you choose silver/gold coins. Apparently Brexit will cause big taxes on coins. Like 20%...I watch a lot of videos about investing in silver and these Brits are complaining about Brexit causing them to pay huge taxes on coins.
No taxes on gold/silver in Canada 😉

Moves
15 Apr 19

@chessturd said
Maybe...
I know a lot of people are turning to real physical assets like gold and silver and collectable coins because they don't trust paper investments.
If it gets real bad my piece of paper that says 1 share of McDonald's stock will buy me nothing.
A real gold or silver coin will ALWAYS have purchasing power.

So that could be running the price up on collectable coi ...[text shortened]... to choose between family/love life and my silver I will always choose my silver.

Hold until old!
If you bought your gold in 2012 you would be crying now.

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19

Never buy when it's at a high point.
It's amazing how people jump on the band wagon way too late.
If something is up and breaking records it is unwise to buy then. You missed the boat.
Buy low Sell high.
Everyone has to do their own research.

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19

What were you thinking of investing in?

Moves
15 Apr 19

When I "played the market" I always made it clear to my "money (not my cash) handler", that when my investments reached a price that I thought was a "good" return, that he sell (sell order). For the most part it served me well. One thing I never did was look at the markets every day as that can cause unnecessary grief.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Apr 19

@great-big-stees said
When I "played the market" I always made it clear to my "money (not my cash) handler", that when my investments reached a price that I thought was a "good" return, that he sell (sell order). For the most part it served me well. One thing I never did was look at the markets every day as that can cause unnecessary grief.
Yes, or drive one crazier than they already are! 😉 I always stayed away from playing markets, you really have to know what your are doing there or someone who you can trust to do it for you. Trouble is I don't trust many people!

-VR

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Apr 19
1 edit

@divegeester said
Interesting! I think I’ve heard of something like this from another friend but I don’t know how it works.

So it’s fairly high risk but high return?
property for me is duff I bought a buy to let in darlington 10 years back 97 K intrest only mortgage its now in negative equity, also got a small windfall about 12 k put it in an investment portfolio within 12 months it had lost a grand so i drew it out and paid of a chunk of my mortgage.

Moves
15 Apr 19

@great-big-stees said
Precisely.
Have a profit horizon in mind. When it's met, sell.

Contrarians play the game differently, but don't be discouraged.
Stay the course. Thing long-term.

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19

Long term Silver.
20 dollars an ounce is a steal 😉

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
15 Apr 19

@divegeester said
15% over a year suggests that either the market for collectible coins is rising steeply (unlikely) or that a significant number of sellers simply don’t understand the value of the coins they are selling. Would this be a correct assumption?
15% is over a 2 year span. Coin prices are moving slightly up in the past 18 months. Inflation is just starting to rear its' ugly head once again and many are getting nervous. I buy mostly on Ebay, winning around 5% of my bids.
This morning I picked up two 2014 Franklin Roosevelt $1 coins, PCGS PF70dcam, limited edition signature series for less than the price of one coin.
If it is not a deal, it is not a deal.

Moves
15 Apr 19

@caissad4 said
15% is over a 2 year span. Coin prices are moving slightly up in the past 18 months. Inflation is just starting to rear its' ugly head once again and many are getting nervous. I buy mostly on Ebay, winning around 5% of my bids.
This morning I picked up two 2014 Franklin Roosevelt $1 coins, PCGS PF70dcam, limited edition signature series for less than the price of one coin.
If it is not a deal, it is not a deal.
A fascinating hobby and one which you make money out of, good for you.

Moves
15 Apr 19
1 edit

@chessturd said
What were you thinking of investing in?
Are you replying to me?

If so I have UK Premium Bonds, two cash ISAs (low risk, easy access, so almost worthless really) and a chunk of blue chip medical stock which is doing ok.

I would like to invest some money into something higher risk, but don't know what. I'm quite risk adverse.

Moves
15 Apr 19

@great-big-stees said
My brother in law has invest a large proportion of his net worth into medium to high risk bonds and is losing money. You sound shrewd Stees...

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19

Safe is better than sorry 😉