The investment game

The investment game

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Apr 19
1 edit

@chessturd said
Safe is better than sorry 😉
You are absolutely correct on that!!! Just ask dive's brother-in-law!

-VR

Trump 2020

Moves
15 Apr 19

LoL

Moves
16 Apr 19

@divegeester said
My brother in law has invest a large proportion of his net worth into medium to high risk bonds and is losing money. You sound shrewd Stees...
I started in the "hobby" of investing DISCRETIONARY money (Pay for what you need, save for what you want) at a young age (12-13). We (3 friends and I) started an investment club and we studied the markets before diving in. We won some and lost some but the biggest thing we won (not money) was learning from our "mistakes". Is it better to get a return of 5% or 50%? Of course there are stories of people who made fabulous returns but they are few and far between. There are many, many more who "suffered" the opposite. Make sure the water is deep enough before taking the plunge.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Apr 19

@the-gravedigger said
That's a bit of an oxymoron dive.
Short term is gambling.Investment is a long term thing.
Short term put it in premium bonds.
last year my premium bonds paid out 1.85% not brilliant but better than a poke in the eye.

Moves
16 Apr 19

@badradger said
last year my premium bonds paid out 1.85% not brilliant but better than a poke in the eye.
Better than any cash ISA!

And you have to add in the value of being in the mix for a big payout.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Apr 19

@badradger said
At least you're not losing on it!

-VR

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Apr 19
3 edits

@chessturd said

If it gets real bad my piece of paper that says 1 share of McDonald's stock will buy me nothing.
A real gold or silver coin will ALWAYS have purchasing power.
That sounds logical but think about it for a moment.
In your dooms day scenario McDonalds one the bluest chips stocks providing cheap food to the masses has gone bust. So presumably stock markets around the world have gone belly up. Governments have also gone bust and have not been able to step in and save the day as in 2008. Fiat (paper) currency is also worthless. First there was a run on the shops now there is rioting and looting.
No money to pay cops or fire fighters.
No power, no fuel for cars no mains water etc etc.
Just what are you going to do with your silver coin,offer it to the mob ,for what.

Same goes if you have a stash of gold bars, offer to trade and they will be stolen from you.

If things get that bad ,and they might ,hide in your cellar with tins of food and bottled water. Oh and a shot gun would come in handy.

(And don't forget your tin opener)

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Apr 19

@badradger said
Same here, about 2%, and its backed by the Treasury.

Trump 2020

Moves
16 Apr 19
1 edit

The silver/gold is for after the chaos.
When little pockets of society start to regroup and develop little trade markets/towns.
People have always done this after a massive collapse/war/famine etc

First priority is food, water, shelter, weapons.
After the dust settles and people start to settle down their will be a need for a standard currency and silver/gold have always been that since the beginning of time.
So...I can leave my shelter and go to the new craphole town/market and buy ratburgers or corn or homemade alcohol or even pay my way into a gated community.

...the paper McDonald's stock can be used as toilet paper. It's worthless.
Stay away from fake assets!
Buy real assets... Silver!...Gold!..
Property! 😉

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Apr 19

Like your style. I am all for a rat burger (think Kebab at 3am) and some home made hooch.

More Wodka Dimitri !

Trump 2020

Moves
16 Apr 19

LoL

Moves
16 Apr 19

With all of us "babyboomers" coming along I'm thinking of investing in Pfizer or Eli Lilly.

🤔 😲 😉

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
16 Apr 19

@great-big-stees said
With all of us "babyboomers" coming along I'm thinking of investing in Pfizer or Eli Lilly.

🤔 😲 😉
Japan already sells more adult diapers than kids ones.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Apr 19

@the-gravedigger said
LOL....I was just thinking we start our lives with diapers and many of finish our lives using them if we live that long. 😉

-VR

Moves
16 Apr 19

@the-gravedigger said
Yes, those too.