1. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 03:221 edit
    There are many ways to test sterling silver rings for authenticity but the sound test isn't working for this one ring I have. Is it possible that some ring designs won't "ring" when flicked in the air or bounced off a table? Mine is a band with a braided design around the band. I bought it from a reputable dealer and I don't want to do the scratch/acid test. I'm just wondering if some ring designs won't have a sound due to the design? If I take it to a dealer they will insist on using the scratch/acid test which essentially damages the ring. The magnet test is useless...since 800 metals don't stick to magnets says the internet. Any help?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 04:00
    @nomorechess said
    There are many ways to test sterling silver rings for authenticity but the sound test isn't working for this one ring I have. Is it possible that some ring designs won't "ring" when flicked in the air or bounced off a table? Mine is a band with a braided design around the band. I bought it from a reputable dealer and I don't want to do the scratch/acid test. I'm just wond ...[text shortened]... g. The magnet test is useless...since 800 metals don't stick to magnets says the internet. Any help?
    If you bought the ring from a reputable dealer, why do you doubt its authenticity?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 05:16
    @nomorechess
    Check the hallmark against online versions.
    Forging hallmarks is a pretty serious business
    and prpbably not worth it for small items.
  4. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 15:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 15:50
    I'll look into that, thanks
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 18:04
    @handyandy said
    If you bought the ring from a reputable dealer, why do you doubt its authenticity?
    You can NOT trust ANYONE if there is a dollar to be made!

-VR
  7. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    08 Dec '18 18:47
    One jewelry store said it's real and another said it is not real. 😞
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Dec '18 14:42
    @nomorechess
    You can do the classical Archimedes. Weigh your ring and determine the volume (e.g. by putting it into a brimful vessel and cathing the overflow. Now determine the density. Silver should have 10.5 g/cm3
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '18 18:34
    @ponderable said
    @nomorechess
    You can do the classical Archimedes. Weigh your ring and determine the volume (e.g. by putting it into a brimful vessel and cathing the overflow. Now determine the density. Silver should have 10.5 g/cm3
    Couldn't a lead alloy be made to that density?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '18 23:253 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    Couldn't a lead alloy be made to that density?
    Sterling silver is typically 7.5 percent copper and 92.5 percent silver. The density calculations for sterling silver that I’ve seen assume that the volume contributions in the alloy are simply additive. This is not a given, for example mixing 50 cc of water with 50 cc of ethanol yields about 95 cc of liquid. Throw a little lead into the melt and who knows the effect? Bronze alloys (largely copper) vary greatly in density depending on the choice of alloy element. Even assuming that the volume displacement could be accurately measured, the actual density would be dependent on this ‘mixing factor’, which is not taken into account in the individual metal density-based prediction. Of course too much lead could alter the physical properties like malleability, having a noticeable effect. Plating could cover this, but that’s a lot of trouble to go to for a ring. These days, silver is <50 cents/gram USD.
  11. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 00:031 edit
    Way too complicated guys...I was just wondering if some ring designs won't have that classic ringing sound when struck or dropped due to the design as opposed to a plain silver band which does make the ringing sound much like a silver coin. I did the ice cube test...the magnet test...the make up test and they all passed making me think it is sterling and one jewelry store said it was real BUT it does not ring when dropped or struck and it failed the acid test. The dealer who did the acid test said it may be silver just not 92.5 sterling which his acid is designed for. So...all I asked is can certain ring designs fail to ring when dropped or struck because of the design? I'm still not sure if it is real because some tests say yes and some say no. It's maddening because I collect silver and it would disgust me if a fake made it's way into my pile. Thanks for the help though.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 04:33
    @nomorechess said
    Way too complicated guys...I was just wondering if some ring designs won't have that classic ringing sound when struck or dropped due to the design as opposed to a plain silver band which does make the ringing sound much like a silver coin. I did the ice cube test...the magnet test...the make up test and they all passed making me think it is sterling and one jewelry store ...[text shortened]... ect silver and it would disgust me if a fake made it's way into my pile. Thanks for the help though.
    Well IMO it comes down to whether it is valued more for its design/provenance or for its melt value, doesn’t it?
  13. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 06:26
    I collect silver...I don't care what it looks like I just want it to be real.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 07:01
    @nomorechess

In fact the sound will be dependend on the material, just not very much. And the sound will depend more on the form...just try to hit a pipe and and a rod with the same weight from the same material.
  15. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 07:51
    You're right on the form. Each piece sounds slightly different due to the form/shape and that's what I am hoping for. I hope the design of this ring is preventing the usual ringing sound.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree