Sticky Thread Game

Sticky Thread Game

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jan 20

@torunn said
Is it irrelevant maybe?
Hmmmm....Interesting and sticky, so it would be ok if someone called you he instead of she? Not irrelevant maybe?

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
26 Jan 20

@very-rusty said
Hmmmm....Interesting and sticky, so it would be ok if someone called you he instead of she? Not irrelevant maybe?

-VR
We recently had a neutral word added in Swedish - 'hen' (neutral mix between 'han' and 'hon'😉 when gender is irrelevant or unknown. Swedish is tricky. 🙂

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jan 20

@torunn said
We recently had a neutral word added in Swedish - 'hen' (neutral mix between 'han' and 'hon'😉 when gender is irrelevant or unknown. Swedish is tricky. 🙂
So if you stick in 'hen' it can be male or female?

We got lots of hens here!!! 😉

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
26 Jan 20

@very-rusty said
So if you stick in 'hen' it can be male or female?

We got lots of hens here!!! 😉

-VR
Yes, I think basically it is meant for writing - in a normal conversation I doubt gender is unknown or irrelevant. But in official documents it can be practical.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jan 20

@torunn said
Yes, I think basically it is meant for writing - in a normal conversation I doubt gender is unknown or irrelevant. But in official documents it can be practical.
I think it is sticky and in official documents one would need a swedish lawyer to read it over. The word 'hen' has an entirely different meaning here, U.S.A. and many countries.

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
26 Jan 20

@very-rusty said
I think it is sticky and in official documents one would need a swedish lawyer to read it over. The word 'hen' has an entirely different meaning here, U.S.A. and many countries.

-VR
Yes I know but maybe you can come up with a word that would suit your language - if you need one, that is.

Moves
26 Jan 20

@torunn said
Yes I know but maybe you can come up with a word that would suit your language - if you need one, that is.
How about sticking with they, she, he etc?

Gothenburg

Moves
26 Jan 20

@great-big-stees said
How about sticking with they, she, he etc?
Yes, why not.
I can think of documents - legal or other - where you use he/she, his/her(s), him/her a lot. In Swedish that would be han/hon, hans/hennes, honom/henne. Maybe on such occasions, 'hen' and 'hens' would be practical. But I must admit, it destroys a beautiful language.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Jan 20

@torunn said
Yes, why not.
I can think of documents - legal or other - where you use he/she, his/her(s), him/her a lot. In Swedish that would be han/hon, hans/hennes, honom/henne. Maybe on such occasions, 'hen' and 'hens' would be practical. But I must admit, it destroys a beautiful language.
I see sticky situation..It is the difference in the language that changes the meaning of the word and ruins the meaning. hon would mean something entirely different in the English language.

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
26 Jan 20

@very-rusty said
I see sticky situation..It is the difference in the language that changes the meaning of the word and ruins the meaning. hon would mean something entirely different in the English language.

-VR
It simplifies our language and makes it artificial. There is grammar and structure in every language which will change in due course by us using it as it has always done. Bringing in new structures/words/grammar to simplify feels - dead to me.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
27 Jan 20

@torunn said
It simplifies our language and makes it artificial. There is grammar and structure in every language which will change in due course by us using it as it has always done. Bringing in new structures/words/grammar to simplify feels - dead to me.
I hear you, don't even understand the younger generation language anymore doesn't sound like the same language I grew up with. 😉 I guess that is a sticky topic for each generation

-VR

Moves
27 Jan 20

@very-rusty said
I hear you, don't even understand the younger generation language anymore doesn't sound like the same language I grew up with. 😉 I guess that is a sticky topic for each generation

-VR
Sticking to your generational "lingo" is OK but in order to bridge the gap one does have to show some interest in the new terms or you are left behind, in a fog.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
27 Jan 20

My favorite Saint?

St Icky, patron Saint of the STG.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
27 Jan 20

@great-big-stees said
Sticking to your generational "lingo" is OK but in order to bridge the gap one does have to show some interest in the new terms or you are left behind, in a fog.
Well as I don't hang with those people it doesn't really matter. 😉

-VR

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
28 Jan 20

If you hang hooks you don't need the sticky stuff.