Squeezing out the non-subscribers?

Squeezing out the non-subscribers?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
23 Aug 19

This morning I discover that a huge chunk of my iPad screen is taken over by adverts . It’s possible to scroll down and shift them to the top but the information bar is then lost from view 🙁

c

Moves
23 Aug 19

@drewnogal said
This morning I discover that a huge chunk of my iPad screen is taken over by adverts . It’s possible to scroll down and shift them to the top but the information bar is then lost from view 🙁
Same thing is happening on my phone.

Seems they are trying to force us to subscribe through aggravation and frustration.

Not cool.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
23 Aug 19
1 edit

@chaney3
They obviously don’t make enough money through the subscribers. I wonder what proportion of us are subscribers?

Must be even more annoying on a phone!

c

Moves
23 Aug 19

@drewnogal said
@chaney3
They obviously don’t make enough money through the subscribers. I wonder what proportion of us are subscribers?

Must be even more annoying on a phone!
Yes it is. The ad takes up 80% of the screen.

They're messin with the wrong guy!!! 😎

c

Moves
23 Aug 19

@drewnogal said
This tactic is a siege. RHP is using large, obnoxious ads in hopes of wearing down non-subscribers, and compelling us to surrender, and subscribe.

The revolution has begun.

Never surrender!!!!

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Aug 19

@chaney3 said
This tactic is a siege. RHP is using large, obnoxious ads in hopes of wearing down non-subscribers, and compelling us to surrender, and subscribe.

The revolution has begun.

Never surrender!!!!
Or maybe consider subscribing.

c

Moves
23 Aug 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Or maybe consider subscribing.
The siege will never work!

Go ahead, make the ads even larger. I don't mind scrolling up 10 times just to view my games.

RHP has met its match.

Australia

Moves
23 Aug 19

First-world complainers get no sympathy, but it's a bit rough on folk in poorer countries. Still, I guess chess is a discretionary item.

c

Moves
23 Aug 19

Trying to lure in more business through aggravation and frustration with grossly enlarged advertisements is not a good practice.

We already know it's part of their subscription plan pitch.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
23 Aug 19

@drewnogal

Are there pop up adverts when your playing chess or on the forum? Because that would be really annoying, I don’t spend much time anywhere else in the site.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Aug 19

@drewnogal said
I do feel for the people who actually can't afford the subscription, but that only makes me wonder how they have even have internet access must be hard.

I don't feel a bit sorry for the people that can afford to pay for their subscription but don't because because they can chat which is mainly what they are here for, and can only play a few games which is more than they would get on other chess sites.

-VR

is getting old...

Moves
23 Aug 19

It's worth the subscription cost.
A yearly subscription works out to about 11 cents a day.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
23 Aug 19

@patzering said
It's worth the subscription cost.
A yearly subscription works out to about 11 cents a day.
I don't know how accurate your math is and depends where you are and what your dollar is worth. I am sure there are those who can't afford the subscription, then there are those who can and just don't.

-VR

c

Moves
23 Aug 19

Along with the advertisement siege, it appears RHP has recruited its subscribers for a flanking "sign up" promo.

It won't work. Never surrender!!

is getting old...

Moves
23 Aug 19

Well we tried the nice approach...

Now it's time for brown shirts and batons I guess. 😡