Reflections on Spam

Reflections on Spam

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by moonbus
My advice to anyone who ever feels upset by a post is: look inside yourself, find out what button the post pushed, and then disconnect that button.
Good advice. Reading and posting here frequently evokes various emotions, but I rarely get upset. GB recently "upset" me with his comments about suicide, but generally I usually end up feeling either amused or interested and frequently (especially in Spirituality), astonished, disappointed and sometimes horrified and even a little fearful...in a sort of wtf!!...kind of way.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
02 Jan 16

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
02 Jan 16

Originally posted by Kewpie
Been thinking about this as the General Forum currently has two spammers.
Spammer A bothers me a lot, Spammer B doesn't bother me at all.
well done,
to reflect is polishing the mirror in which you see yerself...
observation - in this case i see the spam that ms kewpie refers to as copy/pasting nonsense and needless bumping of threads for (what seems to be) no reason other than to see the thread again...
observation - i did a crapload of this yesterday, about 24 hours ago...
i'm guessing i'm spammer b...
observation - bostobobollo's bumping of the 'memo' thread triggered my urge to do the same, not to irritate anyone in general, but to show how pernicious the action is...
you know the 'memo' thread, i'll not provide you with a link because i find that to be an irritant, reading one thread (happily) and then faced with the prospect of either opening a new window/tab to read the other thread, or hammering the back button to return to my previous (happytime!) reading...
observation - my bumping and spamming made someone giggle, within minutes of my bs (bump/spam) i collected a heavenly thumb on each of my bs threads...
observation - while i smugly thought well of myself at the time, i freaking forgot all about it until ten minutes ago...
HA!!!
observation - my actions will not change anything...

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
02 Jan 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Baby, something tells me you get frisky when you're on the juice.

Am I right or am I right, you sexy feline?

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
02 Jan 16

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 1)
Excellent comments. Also, 1) Our perceptions of other people are conditioned and/or informed by the frequency and proximity of our contact with them. Have they been conditioned/informed from afar in an online public forum through the lens of its prevailing standards of civility or privately via personal messages or emails or telephone calls ...[text shortened]... greement among friends." Adversarial attitudes and personal attack mode breed dysfunction and spam..
Realized earlier this morning during breakfast that I had posted my original poem "Never In The Eye" which contains the phrase "mind's eye of the beheld" in its entirety on the Culture Forum in a thread titled "Poetry or Lyrics" created by FMF on December 18, 2012. Thread 150345

“Never In The Eye”

Beauty was never in the eye
of the beholder,
much rather if anywhere
in the mind’s eye of the beheld.

And a thing of beauty
was never a joy,
nor forever
but unappreciated and transient.

And the root of all evil
was never money
but the love of it,
Mammon, the servant and footman
of the unrequited.

Neither is hell denied
its fury, nor a woman
ignored or deceived
who prefers
not to be scorned.

And a female is not a woman,
nor a woman a lady
and young girls
rape their own futures
in the early sun.

And a boy is not a man
before his mother.
Furniture is seldom if ever
made in the woods.

And having a pleasant day
is less pleasant
than outright possession
of the unpleasant truth.

No, my kinsman,
the common wisdom is too common.
Though less fragile
it survives.

Neither is all well
that appears to end well,
if held together subjectively
and in place with pins.

And no crass Bohemian
spilling gypsy blood for the masses
was Christ, nor Caesar

a salad, Napoleon a pastry,
nor the Duchess of Marlborough
some new cigarette.

(Boston, 1980)

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
02 Jan 16

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 16

I would guess that most regular forum readers, like myself, eventually develop mental filters. I very definitely look at who posted before reading a post. Some posters I ignore (-r, -w {= no read, no write}), others I read but don’t reply to (r, - w), still others I sometimes read and sometimes reply to (+/-r, +/-w).

My advice to anyone who ever feels upset ...[text shortened]... ost is: look inside yourself, find out what button the post pushed, and then disconnect that button.
"My advice to anyone who ever feels upset by a post is: look inside yourself, find out what button the post pushed, and then disconnect that button."

... or take the time to examine the reasons why you felt "upset" in the interest of an enhanced self awareness "and then disconnect that button"...

Moves
02 Jan 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"My advice to anyone who ever feels upset by a post is: look inside yourself, find out what button the post pushed, and then disconnect that button."

... or take the time to examine the reasons why you felt "upset" in the interest of an enhanced self awareness "and then disconnect that button"...
...Adversarial attitudes and personal attack mode breed dysfunction and spam.

Question from divegeester
Would you classify referring to fellow (but of course as always in your case, unspecified) posters as having: "jungle savagery", "psychotic jealousy", "fouled diapers" or "stinking vomit".... As being reflective of you having an "adversarial attitude"?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
02 Jan 16

For hell's sake, divegeester, do not feed the troll, man.

Because attention horse.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 16

Originally posted by divegeester
...Adversarial attitudes and personal attack mode breed dysfunction and spam.

Question from divegeester
Would you classify referring to fellow (but of course as always in your case, unspecified) posters as having: "jungle savagery", "psychotic jealousy", "fouled diapers" or "stinking vomit".... As being reflective of you having an "adversarial attitude"?
Please see my last reply to moonbus on page one of Thread 166674

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
02 Jan 16
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Groooaarrr!

Got a six pack of Budweiser and chewing tobacco right here with me.
Just ring me and I'll drive my Bronco all the way there.

Moves
02 Jan 16

Please see my last reply to moonbus on page one of Thread 166674
This is just an attempt at deflection. You said those things I quoted. You said them about members of this forum. We can only assume you mean us all with your "adversarial attitude".

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 16

Originally posted by divegeester
This is just an attempt at deflection. You said those things I quoted. You said them about members of this forum. We can only assume you mean us all with your "adversarial attitude".
About @divegeester: "Sith happens"

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
02 Jan 16