quotes you like about chess

quotes you like about chess

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
11 Sep 14

"Now we appreciate that what affords us so much enjoyment in chess is really the same thing for all of us, be it the layman who sees nothing finer in chess than the sacrificial combination or be it the expert who marvels at the far-reaching scheme of the game. It is the triumph of the intellect and genius over lack of imagination; the triumph of personality over materialism" - Richard Reti - Modern Ideas in chess, page 69.

gc

Moves
12 Sep 14

"The only thing chess players have in common is chess" Lodewijk Prins

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
15 Sep 14

e4, anything else is a mistake.........bobby fischer

In your face

Moves
15 Sep 14

Originally posted by lemondrop
e4, anything else is a mistake.........bobby fischer
Even if you are black? 😛

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Sep 14

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Even if you are black? 😛
Bobby was white.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
16 Sep 14

"On the chessboard lies and hypocrisy do not survive long. The creative combination lays bare the presumption of lies; the merciless fact, culmination in checkmate, contradicts the hypocrites." Emanuel Lasker

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Sep 14

If You're Thinkin' About My Baby
It Don't Matter If You're Black Or White

Michael Jackson

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Sep 14

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
"On the chessboard lies and hypocrisy do not survive long. The creative combination lays bare the presumption of lies; the merciless fact, culmination in checkmate, contradicts the hypocrites." Emanuel Lasker
Lasker never saw any of my games. 😛

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Oct 14

“The tactician must know what to do whenever something needs doing;
the strategist must know what to do when nothing needs doing”
-Tartakover.

gc

Moves
19 Oct 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
“The tactician must know what to do whenever something needs doing;
the strategist must know what to do when nothing needs doing”
-Tartakover.
You sit at the board and suddenly your heart leaps. Your hand trembles to pick up the piece and move it. But what chess teaches you is that you must sit there calmly and think about whether it's really a good idea and whether there are other, better ideas.

Stanley Kubrik

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Oct 14

"… the woman who grows up with the idea that she is simply to be an amiable animal, to be caressed and coaxed, is invariably a bitterly disappointed woman. A game of chess will cure such a conceit forever. The woman that knows the most, thinks the most, feels the most, is the most. Intellectual affection is the only lasting love. Love that has a game of chess in it can checkmate any man and solve the problem of life." -- Charles Dickens

l

Moves
21 Oct 14

"When men lose against me, they always have a headache ... or things of that kind. I have never beaten a completely healthy man!" - Susan Polgar

N

Moves
21 Oct 14
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
"… the woman who grows up with the idea that she is simply to be an amiable animal, to be caressed and coaxed, is invariably a bitterly disappointed woman. A game of chess will cure such a conceit forever. The woman that knows the most, thinks the most, feels the most, is the most. Intellectual affection is the only lasting love. Love that has a game of chess in it can checkmate any man and solve the problem of life." -- Charles Dickens
What did he know (about love, anyhow)? He married his cousin, you know 😉

Moves
21 Oct 14

There are two quotes I remember:

1) "When I have White, I win because I am White; when I have Black, I win because I am Bogolyubov." - Bogolyubov

2) "The only mistake you make in chess is to underestimate your opponent." I'm not sure who said it, I read it on the internet ages ago, but I always remember it when wondering if I can get away with a move that relies on my opponent not noticing something.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
21 Oct 14

“Castle early and often” (Rob Sillars)