On this day

On this day

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Nov 19

@wolfe63 said
You might have also mentioned that it is side-splittingly hilarious.
Some folks just don't enjoy good satirical humor.
I wonder if it hurts?
It is by far my favourite movie, in as much that it would be my desert island film of choice.

Moves
10 Nov 19
2 edits

On this day in 2010...

Tens of thousands of people protested in the UK against plans to treble tuition fees and cut university funding in England. The Conservative Party headquarters were stormed and outside, placards and banners were set on fire and missiles were thrown.

Although the Conservatives carried henceforth the blame for this abomination of a policy, the interesting factoid of that decision was that they were in a coalition government with the Liberal Democrat party who had promised their electorate faithfully during the election campaign, that they would abolish tuition fees and then, when in coalition, agreed with the Tories to triple them.

The Lib Dems are more recently famous for complaining bitterly about the tone of political rhetoric used in Parliament by the likes of PM Johnson, such as him referring to the Benn Act (passed by the opposition to prevent the Govt negotiating a clean break Brexit) as the “Surrender Bill” - when they were almost simultaneously launching an anti-brexit slogan worn on T-Shirts by them in the EU parliament emblazoned with “Bollo**ks to Brexit”.

The hypocrisy thickens when one compares their past record of lying and spinelessness with the current political declaration to “cancel Brexit” despite Brexit being democratically voted for and the triggering of article 50 being passed by Parliament - with their name “Liberal DEMOCRATS”. I’m sure all those parents and students from 2010 onwards are now Brexiters and probably conservatives too. So it’s “fuk them“ I suppose.

On a day in years to come we may be able to reflect in an “on this day” post in this thread about how the Liberal Non-Democrats faired in the upcoming general election .

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Nov 19

@divegeester said
On this day in 2010...

Tens of thousands of people protested in the UK against plans to treble tuition fees and cut university funding in England. The Conservative Party headquarters were stormed and outside, placards and banners were set on fire and missiles were thrown.

Although the Conservatives carried henceforth the blame for this abomination of a policy, the ...[text shortened]... y” post in this thread about how the Liberal Non-Democrats faired in the upcoming general election .
2019 and still being discussed odds are pretty good it will be debated for many, many, more years.

-VR

Moves
10 Nov 19

@very-rusty said
2019 and still being discussed odds are pretty good it will be debated for many, many, more years.
Christmas ?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Nov 19
3 edits

@divegeester said
Christmas ?
97 years since England had a winter election, that was brought up right away. I'd assume this vote will be remembered for many, many years indeed! You started out with the 2010 protests but went on about other things, that was the one I had been talking about. Then Christmas reminded me of the winter election. Brexit always seems to come up for some reason.

-VR

Moves
11 Nov 19

On this very special day in...

In 1918:
At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ended; a war that had lasted for 4 years and 97 days. Germany, bereft of manpower, supplies and food, signed an armistice agreement with the Allies. The war left 9 million soldiers dead and more than 21 million wounded, with Germany, Russia, Austria, Hungary, France, and Great Britain each losing nearly a million or more lives. In addition, some 6 million civilians died from disease, starvation, or exposure.

In 1919:
Britain introduced a two minute silence at 11:00 a.m. to remember those who died in World War I.

In 1921
The first British Legion Poppy Day

We will not forget the sacrifice of the millions of brave men and women from a spectrum of nationalities who fought and gave their lives to provide us with the independence, the freedom and the national security we enjoy today.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Nov 19

@divegeester said
The war left 9 million soldiers dead and more than 21 million wounded, with Germany, Russia, Austria, Hungary, France, and Great Britain each losing nearly a million or more lives.
Don't forget Serbia.
The country which suffered most with approx 20% of their population dead.

Moves
12 Nov 19

@wolfgang59 said
Don't forget Serbia.
Yes it is so easy to forget, thank you.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Nov 19

@divegeester said
Yes it is so easy to forget, thank you.
Old Pub Quiz question which I got wrong.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 Nov 19

@wolfgang59 said
Don't forget Serbia.
8 million
This was an enormous contribution from a population of just under 8 million in 1914. Approximately seven percent of the total population of Canada was in uniform at some point during the war, and hundreds of thousands of additional Canadians worked on the home front in support of the war.
Canada Enters the War - Canada at War | Canada and the ...
https://www.warmuseum.ca › firstworldwar › history › going-to-war › canada...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Nov 19

We have 2 Serbian haters on site!!!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Nov 19

On this day 1990: Aramoana massacre, New Zealand.

David Gray shoots dead 13 people before being tracked down and killed by
police the next day. The events were made into a film (a good one) "Out of the Blue"

A number of local school children were amongst the dead and wounded.

Moves
13 Nov 19

@divegeester said
On this very special day in...

In 1918:
At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ended; a war that had lasted for 4 years and 97 days. Germany, bereft of manpower, supplies and food, signed an armistice agreement with the Allies. The war left 9 million soldiers dead and more than 21 million wounded, with Germany, Russia, Austria, Hunga ...[text shortened]... ion or more lives. In addition, some 6 million civilians died from disease, starvation, or exposure.
I suppose it's something that we're doing a little better a century or so on.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
14 Nov 19

25 years ago the first EuroStar Train ran.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
26 Nov 19

Tina Turner, Swiss, US-Born singer turns 80.

Congratulations!