1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 11:08
    Sumo wrestling, for the underweight/thin.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 14:34
    @great-big-stees said
    Sumo wrestling, for the underweight/thin.
    Slimo wrestling.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 14:53
    @moonbus said
    Slimo wrestling.
    Thought that was wrestling in slime.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 06:46
    I understand they will show one of the new Olympic sports, karate, Aug. 5-8.

It looks like it will be in two parts, one part kata, and one part kumite, on different days for each weight class, and it may run all day, well until 3pm at least, on those days. Remember, this is highly formalized karate, akin to tournament karate. This is karate as a sport, not self-defense.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:41
    @suzianne said
    I understand they will show one of the new Olympic sports, karate, Aug. 5-8.

It looks like it will be in two parts, one part kata, and one part kumite, on different days for each weight class, and it may run all day, well until 3pm at least, on those days. Remember, this is highly formalized karate, akin to tournament karate. This is karate as a sport, not self-defense.
    So more technique than “combat”?πŸ€”
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 12:091 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    So more technique than “combat”?πŸ€”
    Yes, I think so. While judo has been an Olympic sport for some time, karate is new this year. There are differences between the two. The Olympic sport is not "martial arts", there's judo, and there's karate. The techniques of these two should be highlighted during their own events. Let's also stress here that the sport is not called "beating the crap out of each other". Form is important, as is technique. This is what earns you points in tournament competition, and not who "wins" or "loses". Wins and losses are based on points, sort of like olympic boxing, and not on who deals the most damage to the other. And points are based on what parts of the body you can land a blow on. In judo, I believe some points are made by control moves or holding moves, as well as throws and leverage-using forcing moves.

So yeah, tl;dr is yes, more technique and less "combat".
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 12:15
    @suzianne said
    Yes, I think so. While judo has been an Olympic sport for some time, karate is new this year. There are differences between the two. The Olympic sport is not "martial arts", there's judo, and there's karate. The techniques of these two should be highlighted during their own events. Let's also stress here that the sport is not called "beating the crap out of each other". ...[text shortened]... throws and leverage-using forcing moves.

So yeah, tl;dr is yes, more technique and less "combat".
    tl;dr?πŸ€”
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 12:16
    @great-big-stees said
    tl;dr?πŸ€”
    "too long; didn't read". πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 12:17
    @suzianne said
    "too long; didn't read". πŸ™‚
    I am such a dinosaur...of course that’s what it means.πŸ˜‰
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 14:22
    @great-big-stees said
    I am such a dinosaur...of course that’s what it means.πŸ˜‰
    Who would have guessed that...?
  11. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 14:33
    @anitya said
    Skateboarding
    Sport climbing
    Surfing

In theory change/growth is implemented for improvement. Are the Summer Olympics improved by adding surfing as a medal event? Skateboarding? (sorry @skater1978, who is the real deal btw)

Sport climbing is a form of rock climbing in which competitors are attached to permanent anchors for protection. They are supported by a rope in case they fall or slip off the wall.
    Skateboarding
    Sport climbing
    Surfing

I'm not 100% convinced these should be Olympic sports anymore than Yoga. However, as an older guy I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 14:42
    I say, bring back the tug-of-war!

Also introduce catching the caber.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 17:431 edit
    @mchill said
    Skateboarding
    Sport climbing
    Surfing

I'm not 100% convinced these should be Olympic sports anymore than Yoga. However, as an older guy I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.
    They do, however, require a certain degree of skill and endurance, things the Olympic Games originally were created to recognize.

Skateboarding is actually long overdue, the Winter Olympic Games already has snowboarding, which is basically skateboarding on snow.

For years, the motto of the Olympic Games was "Citius, Altius, Fortius", or "Faster, Higher, Stronger" (this year, it has been changed to "Faster, Higher, Stronger - Together" ). These sports display these values.

(Unlike the imagined addition of video games, or esports, to the Olympic Games of the future.)
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 17:47
    @torunn said
    Who would have guessed that...?
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tl;dr
  15. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 18:24
    Darts and Snooker need to be added to the olympics

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree