1. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 03:55
    Skateboarding
    Sport climbing
    Surfing

In theory change/growth is implemented for improvement. Are the Summer Olympics improved by adding surfing as a medal event? Skateboarding? (sorry @skater1978, who is the real deal btw)

Sport climbing is a form of rock climbing in which competitors are attached to permanent anchors for protection. They are supported by a rope in case they fall or slip off the wall.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 04:33
    @Anitya

I would not be surprised if within 25 years video games will become an Olympic sport.
  3. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 04:341 edit
    @skater1978 has an interesting profile.
    He has 67 wins by timeout...and 53 losses by timeout. So what is his profile actually saying? LoL
  4. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 04:36
    @Anitya

Watching sports is a waste of time.
  5. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 06:20
    @r-to-d2 said
    @Anitya

Watching sports is a waste of time.
    I vote for watching sports to be the next new Olympic sport.
  6. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 06:43
    @moonbus said
    I vote for watching sports to be the next new Olympic sport.
    That made me chuckle. LoL
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 06:583 edits
    @eladar said

I would not be surprised if within 25 years video games will become an Olympic sport.
    This may be more of a possibility that you think. E-sports have become blockbuster events, selling out arenas and having massive viewership online. From shooting games to real-time strategy games to fighting games and even video games based on sports, such events can make billions.

Evolution (usually referred to as "Evo" ) is like the Olympics of e-sports. The players train just as seriously as any athlete, getting money from sponsors, obtaining trainers and even training facilities. Winning one event can win around $70,000, for a single player. The prize for team games is even higher.

So...don't be surprised if videogames actually do feature as Olympic events. If goddamn curling can be in the Olympics, why not.
  8. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 07:12
    Also, video games are accessible to all people and anyone can get good with practice where as a traditional sport would need some level of genetics/talent/God given abilities etc.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 07:28
    @r-to-d2 said
    Also, video games are accessible to all people and anyone can get good with practice where as a traditional sport would need some level of genetics/talent/God given abilities etc.
    That goes for any sport. Getting "good" at a sport is different from being able to compete at an elite level.
  10. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 07:394 edits
    @vivify said
    That goes for any sport. Getting "good" at a sport is different from being able to compete at an elite level.
    True but I have a better chance of being a professional video game hockey player than actually making it to the NHL.
    I'm saying E-games will be more popular because more people can relate to the experience. Not everyone has access to a racing car and track but everyone can play racing games. Etc Etc.

Hard work is required for everything but if you don't have certain talents bestowed upon you at birth then you don't have a chance in physical sports or the expensive ones.

The "You can be anything" motto is only half true.
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 07:43
    Anything that will make money for the Olympic Committee will become a sport.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 08:43
    Really enjoyed orienteering as a student. Massive sport in Scandinavia with very technical maps and very high levels of fitness in elite runners. Also courses are available for all abilities and ages from push chair through to 80s with a really inclusive 'sport for all' ethos.

It serially failed to become an Olympic sport for 40 years with bizarre explanations given such as there is an element of luck involved?!? Basically it comes down to how it looks on TV imo. Because it comes down to route choice you could set cameras up in hides that saw nobody. Just another example of TV killing sport.
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 09:02
    @relentless-red said
    Really enjoyed orienteering as a student. Massive sport in Scandinavia with very technical maps and very high levels of fitness in elite runners. Also courses are available for all abilities and ages from push chair through to 80s with a really inclusive 'sport for all' ethos.

It serially failed to become an Olympic sport for 40 years with bizarre explanations given ...[text shortened]... choice you could set cameras up in hides that saw nobody. Just another example of TV killing sport.
    Thats why TV companies love stuff like snooker.
    Very cheap to film and still pulls in the punters.
  14. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 09:29
    @relentless-red said

It serially failed to become an Olympic sport for 40 years with bizarre explanations given ...[text shortened]... choice you could set cameras up in hides that saw nobody. Just another example of TV killing sport.
    Orienteering is great sport! Requires a great deal of smarts and physical skills. With drone technology, anything is tv-viewable these days.
  15. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 09:37
    @moonbus said
    Orienteering is great sport! Requires a great deal of smarts and physical skills. With drone technology, anything is tv-viewable these days.
    Wish the IOC saw it that way. For me running up hill through undergrowth whilst still making sure you are on the optimum route, reading the map with accuracy despite pushing yourself to the limit, demands way more than many events that are in the Olympics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree