1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 01:39
    @torunn said
    I am also an only child - I can be alone but I never feel lonely, and I am never bored.
    Exactly.
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 05:48
    @shallow-blue said
    Is that even legal? I'd boycott it, anyway.
    Back on page two I corrected this as hadn’t fully explored the far end of the store where there are 4 manned checkout facilities. But reducing manpower now seems the way forward in the big stores too because of their need to compete and most people want cheaper food.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/sainsburys-job-losses-2024/#:~:text=Sainsbury's%20to%20cut%201%2C500%20roles%20in%20restructure&text=Sainsbury's%20has%20announced%20it%20will,and%20invest%20to%20win'%20programme.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 17:03
    @drewnogal said
    Back on page two I corrected this as hadn’t fully explored the far end of the store where there are 4 manned checkout facilities. But reducing manpower now seems the way forward in the big stores too because of their need to compete and most people want cheaper food.
    You did correct that, but trust me, supermarkets all over the world are still gagging to prove your original post right. And the cost argument has been bull all along, as proven by the fact that there are now self-serve counters in some US shops with a tip button. It's greed, pure greed.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 17:511 edit
    @suzianne said
    I'm an only child, yet I just don't understand the concept of "loneliness". I always have something filling up my time and someone to talk to. It often seems to me that it's the result of being unimaginative and boring.
    I agree stay active and keep in touch with Good People that you love and or get along with.

-VR
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 07:50
    @shallow-blue said
    You did correct that, but trust me, supermarkets all over the world are still gagging to prove your original post right. And the cost argument has been bull all along, as proven by the fact that there are now self-serve counters in some US shops with a tip button. It's greed, pure greed.
    Aldi, arrived in the UK in 1990. It’s the best value store which I’m told is because it’s a family owned business with no outside shareholders and it sells very few of the most popular brands. All of the checkouts are manned however and you’re ‘encouraged’ to pack your shopping as fast as you can as the assistants will scan your products through at high speed 😮
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 09:11
    @drewnogal said
    Aldi, arrived in the UK in 1990. It’s the best value store which I’m told is because it’s a family owned business with no outside shareholders and it sells very few of the most popular brands. All of the checkouts are manned however and you’re ‘encouraged’ to pack your shopping as fast as you can as the assistants will scan your products through at high speed 😮
    like lidl they dont carry multible brands of the same item,same with the veg, so less stock to warehouse smaller supermarkets and a tip top service.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 10:55
    @david-burton said
    like lidl they dont carry multible brands of the same item,same with the veg, so less stock to warehouse smaller supermarkets and a tip top service.
    You know I never could get the same product costing different prices because of the brand, they all taste the same. Maybe it is to have competitive pricing?

-VR
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 11:13
    @very-rusty said
    You know I never could get the same product costing different prices because of the brand, they all taste the same. Maybe it is to have competitive pricing?

-VR
    when we were kids we ate what we were given, knew nothing of better or worse brands ,mom bought butter and that was it out of a tub ,same with lard,or you got sent to the butchers for pork sausage .....you didnt get to choose,school dinners it was 2 choises eat it or leave it,eventually you ate it.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 17:40
    @david-burton said
    when we were kids we ate what we were given, knew nothing of better or worse brands ,mom bought butter and that was it out of a tub ,same with lard,or you got sent to the butchers for pork sausage .....you didnt get to choose,school dinners it was 2 choises eat it or leave it,eventually you ate it.
    This is so true, we were not so picky back in those times for sure. 🙂

-VR
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 19:26
    @very-rusty said
    Some of that, but in many cases there really is a difference in quality.

In high school, either for chemistry or biology, my mate and I did a project where we took fresh orange juice and several brands of store-bought juice and "juice", and uaed titration to determine how much vitamin C they contained. The relatively expensive brand with the high reputation (any Dutchman will already have guessed which, household name) did indeed turn out to be the only brand that came close to fresh juice. The rest were middling to deplorable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree