1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Mar '24 22:45
    @moonbus said
    Whatever happened to teenagers loading the bags for customers? It was a great part-time job for youths and so helpful, especially for elderly customers.
    There’s a new Sainsbury opened near me where there isn’t a single human manned checkout. It’s all self serve.
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    20 Mar '24 22:54
    @drewnogal said
    There’s a new Sainsbury opened near me where there isn’t a single human manned checkout. It’s all self serve.
    Bloody swines!
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 07:05
    @drewnogal said
    Lemme get this straight: the staff are there only to stock the shelves and take inventory (although Elon Musk is probably working on an AI replacement for that too), while customers do the work at checkout and pay the same price for smaller packages ("shrinkflation" -- my nomination for word of the year 2024). So, this is what Insainsbury's has become? Only because customers put up with it and don't demand service by taking their custom somewhere else. I suppose Tesco is no better.

As shav would almost say, there's something retarded going on there.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 07:442 edits
    @moonbus said
    Lemme get this straight: the staff are there only to stock the shelves and take inventory (although Elon Musk is probably working on an AI replacement for that too), while customers do the work at checkout and pay the same price for smaller packages ("shrinkflation" -- my nomination for word of the year 2024). So, this is what Insainsbury's has become? Only because customers ...[text shortened]... e Tesco is no better.

I only go there because of their good organic veg range. When the store was being built I’d expected lots of opportunities for a short term job for my son and couldn’t understand why there weren’t any?
    What the store has done is reduce the crowds in Tesco & Aldi at the weekends and also created an increased water drainage flow into our local river increasing the potential for flooding and removing part of a wildlife area.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 07:55
    @drewnogal said
    I only go there because of their good organic veg range. When the store was being built I’d expected lots of opportunities for a short term job for my son and couldn’t understand why there weren’t any?
    What the store has done is reduce the crowds in Tesco & Aldi at the weekends and also created an increased water drainage flow into our local river increasing the potential for flooding and removing part of a wildlife area.
    What ever happened to little corner shops as in "Open All Hours" ? <sigh>
  6. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 08:19
    @moonbus said
    Lemme get this straight: the staff are there only to stock the shelves and take inventory (although Elon Musk is probably working on an AI replacement for that too), while customers do the work at checkout and pay the same price for smaller packages ("shrinkflation" -- my nomination for word of the year 2024). So, this is what Insainsbury's has become? Only because customers ...[text shortened]... e Tesco is no better.

Petrol stations have been making customers do the work for decades.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 11:50
    @the-gravedigger said
    That surely can’t be fair when I buy my self drive car 😖
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 12:48
    @drewnogal said
    I find that hard to believe, I bet you could talk the hind legs off a donkey.
    Well as it happens that’s why I am, now, an introvert. The SPCA found out that I, accidentally, did that and well, as they say, the rest is history.😢
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '24 13:12
    @the-gravedigger said
    Well, that’s only to be expected from oil barons.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 12:15
    @drewnogal said
    Not true! Discovered today they have 4 assisted checkouts tucked in the far corner.
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 12:29
    @drewnogal said
    Not true! Discovered today they have 4 assisted checkouts tucked in the far corner.
    You will be able to buy your wine without getting bleeped at. 😀
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 13:26
    Did this Thread take a turn? I thought it was a thread about "Loneliness"?

-VR
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 13:47
    @very-rusty said
    Did this Thread take a turn? I thought it was a thread about "Loneliness"?

-VR
    Loneliness & Wine sounds like the perfect combination.
  14. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 14:03
    @david-burton said
    Fully agree with you there.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 14:18
    @david-burton said
    I guess what ever floats your boat as the expression goes. I don't think Wine is going to help your loneliness except maybe temporally.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree