1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 03:415 edits
    I don't know about you folks, but I remember a day when most people were very sportsman-like. When a football player scored a touchdown, he would toss the ball back to the ref, or toss it on the ground, or maybe even spike it. That's it. Maybe a pat on the back from a teammate or two. But nowadays? With every single play that is the least bit above average, the football player has to do some kind of crazy dance, or taunt of the opponent after the play. I can't stand this trend in football, though it's prevalent in other sports, but just to a lesser degree.

It gets under my skin when a football team is 30 points down, and then one of their defensive players sacks the QB, and he does some crazy dance, taunting the opponents. To me, if your team is down, there is NO cause for celebration, period.

If I were a head coach in the NFL, I would instruct my players to never celebrate, EVER. Have the whole team participate in the mindset. Every score, every good play, every sack, just turn back and walk to where you belong and don't even hint at a celebration. I think if a team embraced that attitude, they would be better for it and the fans would appreciate it too.

The Eagles were down 21-3 tonight, and getting absolutely demolished in every phase of the game. And late in the 3rd quarter, they managed to score a TD and the way they celebrated only being 13 points down, you'd think they just won the superbowl. That's what prompted this.

Remember when Mike Tyson entered the ring for those first several fights? He showed up with regular shorts, drooping, sagged black socks and boots, and wearing nothing else but a grimace on his face. Eye of the tiger. Then he would knock the other guy's head off in the first round, and just turn around and walk back to the corner, like it was all in a day's work. That's the attitude I'm talkin' about. I think it would be beneficial to see something like that in the NFL.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 03:56
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I don't know about you folks, but I remember a day when most people were very sportsman-like. When a football player scored a touchdown, he would toss the ball back to the ref, or toss it on the ground, or maybe even spike it. That's it. Maybe a pat on the back from a teammate or two. But nowadays? With every single play that is the least bit above aver ...[text shortened]... alkin' about. I think it would be beneficial to see something like that in the NFL.
    Agreed... Act like you've been there before. I think now tossing the ball to a ref would be the most painful celebration for the other team to behold.

"Crap! Scored a TD and he doesn't even care! Is he the terminator robot!?"
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 04:321 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Agreed... Act like you've been there before. I think now tossing the ball to a ref would be the most painful celebration for the other team to behold.

"Crap! Scored a TD and he doesn't even care! Is he the terminator robot!?"
    Ha! Indeed. I think it would actually intimidate the opponents to behave so maturely like that.

Man, if only....

Is that you in that avatar?
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 06:44
    No. She is much sexier than that, actually.
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 00:58
    yeah, that's her...
    but she's got a few, ahem, parts, you may not be impressed with...
  6. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 20:20
    An inappropriate celebration now would be Romney winning the elections.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 20:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 21:51
    I can think of some inappropriate celebrations, but I've been censored by fascist mods on this site before, so to be honest, I don't think I dare share, to be honest.
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 22:08
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I can think of some inappropriate celebrations, but I've been censored by fascist mods on this site before, so to be honest, I don't think I dare share, to be honest.
    oh, please, please, please dare,
    dare, dare, dare to share...
    for if you decide not to share,
    i'll have to insist that you grow a pair...
  10. out on bail
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 23:35
    I don't know about you folks, but I remember a day when most people were very sportsman-like. When a football player scored a touchdown, he would toss the ball back to the ref, or toss it on the ground, or maybe even spike it. That's it. Maybe a pat on the back from a teammate or two. But nowadays? With every single play that is the least bit above aver ...[text shortened]... alkin' about. I think it would be beneficial to see something like that in the NFL.
    100% agree! If only UK football teams would adopt this practice. Why players risk permanent knee damage by racing toward their supporters, then crashing on to both knees to slide 10 yards is quite ridiculous. If I did that every time I scored, I'd be in a wheelchair now!

(Mario Balotelli, Manchester City player, hardly celebrates at all when he finds the net).
  11. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 04:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Seriously?
  12. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 04:10
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    100% agree! If only UK football teams would adopt this practice. Why players risk permanent knee damage by racing toward their supporters, then crashing on to both knees to slide 10 yards is quite ridiculous. If I did that every time I scored, I'd be in a wheelchair now!

(Mario Balotelli, Manchester City player, hardly celebrates at all when he finds the net).
    LOL!!!

I'm reminded of the NBA players who injure themselves trying to dunk the ball in spectacular fashion.
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 09:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 22:10
    Have a quick look round because you've forgotten where you are then a cuddle with a team mate.

YouTube
  15. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    08 Nov '12 23:45
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Have a quick look round because you've forgotten where you are then a cuddle with a team mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAOUgmRXsc
    I like Cantona better as an actor, or was that Vinnie Jones?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree