Have to quit here for now

Have to quit here for now

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
29 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Just got laid off, life change. Sucks actually but this too will pass, I hope.
It will, but staying here will help keep your chin up.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Jan 18

You just do what you think is best for YOU.

Don't be concerned about what others think.

-VR

Infidel

Moves
29 Jan 18

Haven't you reached the age of retirement yet?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jan 18

Originally posted by @great-king-rat
Haven't you reached the age of retirement yet?
Sure but I can't live on 2K a month. Still supporting near a dozen people.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Jan 18

As a non sub you can still play a certain amount of games, and more importantly talk with friends you've made over the years.

-VR

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jan 18

Originally posted by @very-rusty
As a non sub you can still play a certain amount of games, and more importantly talk with friends you've made over the years.

-VR
And enemies🙂 It's just things are a bit chaotic right now, am on hold for 1 hour for SS office as we speak, did a final 401 withdraw, had a car (my commute car) engine died, just finished the work, then had to do registration renewal, now up for inspection. It's been a busy last few days.

Infidel

Moves
29 Jan 18

That's sad. After ~40 years a person should not have to work to be able to live comfortably anymore.

Moves
29 Jan 18

Originally posted by @great-king-rat
That's sad. After ~40 years a person should not have to work to be able to live comfortably anymore.
It's only going to get worse... anyone under 40 will have a terrible pension and retire much later that before.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
29 Jan 18

are you going off grid?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jan 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @lemondrop
are you going off grid?
Sure if I had a couple hundred thou to build one but wife LIKES amenities🙂 I watch the bush people and Alaska last frontier and they have an awful lot of really expensive equipment, bulldozers, diggers, boats, several RV's, snowmobiles. So they must have invested a few hundred thou to get all that stuff even if they bought them used. One guy even has a frigging airplane.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
30 Jan 18

And enemies🙂 It's just things are a bit chaotic right now, am on hold for 1 hour for SS office as we speak, did a final 401 withdraw, had a car (my commute car) engine died, just finished the work, then had to do registration renewal, now up for inspection. It's been a busy last few days.
I just started SS retirement this month. Contacting them by phone is pretty much useless. After waiting 2 months for the promised appointment (phone contact) I went down to the SS office and took care of it in 1 day. Here in the USA, social security retirement only covers 40% of living expenses. I still work 30 hours a week just to keep a roof over my head.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jan 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @caissad4
I just started SS retirement this month. Contacting them by phone is pretty much useless. After waiting 2 months for the promised appointment (phone contact) I went down to the SS office and took care of it in 1 day. Here in the USA, social security retirement only covers 40% of living expenses. I still work 30 hours a week just to keep a roof over my head.
What do you do for living if I may ask? How long have you been working and collecting SS?
I ask because I found out the hard way, I was making about 50K at work and another 30K from SS. I didn't realize how much higher a tax bracket that would be compared to just 50K by itself. Result was It took 5 years to pay off $2000 in tax owed. So I had to increase my deduction and last year got a whopping 800 bucks back. Take home pay was less after 16% raises in that time than when I started at 22 dollars an hour, ending with 28. If you hadn't thought that one through it will pay you to add more deduction which sucks because you take home less money but you will avoid a big payment at tax time.

BTW, the bit about calling SS, I tried twice yesterday, each time an hour wait, first time, someone called on my cell phone and was dealing with Xing them out only to find out SS office answered, finding nobody on, hung up.

So I called again, another hour wait. This time I got an actual human, so one minute into the call she says, I can't hear you, I yelled into the phone, I can't hear a word you said, and hung up.....

So here it is next day, they claim this time a mere 40 minute wait. I think the problem was holes in my wifi coverage so this time put the phone on cell tower, wifi turned off. Hope that works better.

Wife very ill, have doctors appointment at noon so don't have the option of going to the office since it is wife's 1099 I need to talk about.

Über-Nerd

Moves
31 Jan 18

Hey sonhouse, I hear there's a position opening up at the FBI. Wanna take a shot at it?

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
31 Jan 18

sonhouse:
I am a night auditor at a hotel. I just started SS this month.
You should consider just going down to Social Security office.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jan 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @caissad4
sonhouse:
I am a night auditor at a hotel. I just started SS this month.
You should consider just going down to Social Security office.
Third time it worked. Only 40 minute wait this time. I took the cell off wifi and there was no problem with signals.

Just remember if you are working, 85% of SS is taxable, was for me. Don't forget last year's AGI (Adjusted gross income). That would be the full wages minus 401K's and such, 85% of SS and any retirement account distributions. In my case, I screwed up first time around because I basically guessed and the efile from Turbotax was rejected by IRS because of wrong AGI, I went to our local IRS office and had it in 30 minutes. Just resubmitted and so far it looks like it got accepted. Won't know for sure for a few days but so far so good.