1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:14
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @FMF

This was a good review by Esquire:

In fact, it would take something like 25 Lord of the Rings-length movies to tell George R.R. Martin's epic fantasy saga...That's why Seasons Seven and Eight felt so ridiculously rushed. That's why people started teleporting, why once complex characters suddenly became flat, vanished altogether, or morphed into nothing but ...[text shortened]... of the narrative. Instead Benioff and Weiss wanted bigger battles! They wanted spectacle not story.
    I agree that the "bigger battles" and "spectacle not story" thing made episode 3 dull and interminable and seemed to have no 'story' to it [always an issue when it's basically like a zombie movie]. But I thought the sacking of King's Landing was spectacular and managed to carry multiple story points at the same time.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:14
    @vivify said
    This skit perfectly encapsulates the complaints fans:

[youtube]jAhKOV3nImQ[/youtube]
    Brilliant!!!

I challenge FMF to watch that and not change his mind.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:19
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    This was a good review by Esquire:

No one stopped to consider these beloved character arcs or the sheer logic of the narrative.
    I am sure they did stop to consider both of those things. I think they knew exactly what they were doing.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:25
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Brilliant!!!

In case anyone didn't get the bit about Starbucks, GOT had a scene where a Starbucks Coffee cup was left on a table.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:33
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I am not going to change my mind. I am just genuinely interested in what the naysayers' stance is. I blanked out what was obviously going on the media. I never read any TV reviews until after a series has ended. And even then I usually don't care.

It has done its job. It's not the kind of series I would ever watch again or think about much after this thread fades out. I can only go on the jolly good entertainment that I felt during those last 270 minutes or so and my feeling as the end titles came up for the last time, added to which was trying to explain - later that evening - with the assistance of several Indonesian pilsner beers - how much I'd liked it [after the first three underwhelming episodes] to a teetotal Dutchman who would rather have been talking about his new motorbike parked outside the bar.

That's all I have: that feeling when it finished, trapped in aspic, a snapshot of a happy and satisfied viewer. There will be no other snapshot of what I feel at some later point as I won't ever dwell on the series enough to develop different feelings.

It's pretty much like how it is with music. If I like an album and give it 4-5 spins, no amount of bad reviews or unanimity among critics can affect how much I liked it [or the other way round with a bad album that got good reviews]. TV series and films are much the same.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @FMF

This was a good review ...
    A classic example was the superb series called Bloodline. I loved series 1. I didn't look at a single review. Series 2 was similarly amazing. I still didn't look at any reviews. Couldn't think where they'd take it with series 3 but it was brilliantly done and very worthy of what had come before. Then I did look at the reviews: series 1 was said to be brilliant, series 2 was disappointing and poor, series 3 was unwatchable. This, in a way, made my own enjoyment of it, all the more intriguing.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:45
    @vivify said
    This skit perfectly encapsulates the complaints of fans for the final season:

[youtube]jAhKOV3nImQ[/youtube]
    It's funny. But I thought that all the series could have been given this sort of comedic treatment. It was always a medieval caper with yer actual dragons and a sprinkle of Dallas, no?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 12:14
    Just listening to a [rightwing!] podcast about the series. She [Lauren Chen] argued that series 6, 7 and 8 were all very poor and that series 1-5 were vastly superior. Is that a widespread viewpoint?
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 12:43
    @fmf said
    Just listening to a [rightwing!] podcast about the series. She [Lauren Chen] argued that series 6, 7 and 8 were all very poor and that series 1-5 were vastly superior. Is that a widespread viewpoint?
    GOT up until that point followed the source material. After season 5, there was no more source material because the author didn't release the books yet. I'm assuming it's because showing what happens on the show would affect book sales.

From Seasons 5 on, the writers had to create their own storylines. Maybe the fans didn't like the direction the GOT writers took it.
  10. RSA
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 13:22
    I hate what they did with Daenerys Targaryen. She was turning quite imperious and haughty by late season 7, but it all happened far too quickly.
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 14:09
    the game of thrones is merely a metaphor for every magically mundane marriage...
    hot, hot, hot,
    hot, hot, not so hot,
    hot, why do you do that thing it's disgusting,
    yer an idiot and so is yer sister and i am OUTTA HERE...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree