1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 02:33
    I really don't get it. In fact, I don't know exactly what the controversy is as I have been blanking it out.

Having dodged spoiler-alert-less spoilers for weeks, I finally watched my illegally downloaded copy of the final episode of the final series yesterday.

I thought it was a brilliant way to end an epic and famous TV series. After the infernally drawn-out battle of episode 3, and the rather low key build up to it in episodes 1 and 2, the series picked up momentum. Episodes 4, 5 and 6 were full of intrigue and dramatic culminations. Those last three episodes were equal to any of the previous 70.

The ending? They carried it off with intelligence and creative flair, unsurprisingly given what a tremendous body of crafted storytelling they'd conjured up these last 8 years.

Pitch perfect.

What were the upset fans upset about?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 05:40
    @fmf said
    I really don't get it. In fact, I don't know exactly what the controversy is as I have been blanking it out.

Having dodged spoiler-alert-less spoilers for weeks, I finally watched my illegally downloaded copy of the final episode of the final series yesterday.

I thought it was a brilliant way to end an epic and famous TV series. After the infernally drawn-out battle of epi ...[text shortened]... g they'd conjured up these last 8 years.

Pitch perfect.

I have never watched Game of Thrones, so my commenting about the ending of it would be contrived.

My wife is a huge fan of the series and I can say that I have resolved to never ask her about it, since I asked her about it once and regretted it 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes later.

Having said that, I do like dragons and I believe that in the program there is an attractive lady who looks after them and occasionally disrobes. I haven’t watched even that episode.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 07:25
    @fmf said

I thought it was a brilliant way to end an epic and famous TV series. After the infernally drawn-out battle of epi ...[text shortened]... g they'd conjured up these last 8 years.

Pitch perfect.

Sir, I have never disagreed with you more.

The ending was awful, just awful. A betrayal of the characters and the fans who have followed them throughout the series.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 08:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The ending was awful, just awful. A betrayal of the characters and the fans who have followed them throughout the series.
    My wife (who is an authority on Game of Thrones having watched every episode and every commentary program at least three times or more) informs me that after years of building up complex characters with deeply interwoven backstories, the final episode(s) moved too fast in an attempt to wrap up all the complicated threads.

As the entire saga was terminated with only the shorter final series to play out the close and epilogue, I imagine there would have been pressure to save money by squeezing fan-base acceptable denouements into the fewer episodes of the final series while still providing some episodes of epic scale and battlement.

I’m relieved it is finished to be honest, as our home has been invaded by talk of white-walkers and like for too long.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 08:03
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Sir, I have never disagreed with you more.

The Upset Fans wanted story arcs for characters in which the characters did not change?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 08:47
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I thought what power and anger turned Daenerys Targaryen into [and the whole fascist allegory towards the end] was a great storyline ~ and an instructive take on the human condition. Same goes for the way Tyrion Lannister's wheels of wisdom fell off due to his trust and loyalty for she-who-was-wearing-black-leather by the end. I found the ending utterly worthy of what had been a huge televisual feast.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 09:071 edit
    @fmf said
    I thought what power and anger turned Daenerys Targaryen into [and the whole fascist allegory towards the end] was a great storyline ~ and an instructive take on the human condition. Same goes for the way Tyrion Lannister's wheels of wisdom fell off due to his trust and loyalty for she-who-was-wearing-black-leather by the end. I found the ending utterly worthy of what had been a huge televisual feast.
    Dive's wife hit the nail on the head. The last couple of episodes, from the very moment Daenerys went on the unnecessary rampage on the dragon killing all the civilians (why not just fly straight to the castle and kill the queen?) things, just moved at an unrealistic and childlike pace. In the end, it was reduced to an incredulous conversation where a handful of people decided who the next king should be and where John Snow miraculously wasn't killed immediately for killing Daenerys. (We weren't even told how his 'crime' was discovered, as no one witnessed it and the dragon took her body away).
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 09:14
    @fmf said
    The Upset Fans wanted story arcs for characters in which the characters did not change?
    Story arcs of character require/deserve believable change at a believable pace.

That simply didn't happen here. - Over another series or two, fair enough. But not in a couple of episodes. (A few tears on the back of a dragon wasn't sufficient).
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 10:47
    Very interesting.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 10:51
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Story arcs of character require/deserve believable change at a believable pace.
    Daenerys' isolation, her increasingly authoritarian demeanour, her paranoia, her hunger for power was a series-long arc.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 10:58
    @divegeester said
    after years of building up complex characters with deeply interwoven backstories, the final episode(s) moved too fast in an attempt to wrap up all the complicated threads.
    How fascinating. I thought the last three episodes were equal to any other three episodes on the trot in all 8 series. Tell your better half not to take any tips from me on TV series!
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:00
    @fmf said
    How fascinating. I thought the last three episodes were equal to any other three episodes on the trot in all 8 series. Tell your better half not to take any tips from me on TV series!
    She still enjoyed the entire run. However I shall pass your feedback on with relish.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:04
    @FMF

This was a good review by Esquire:

In fact, it would take something like 25 Lord of the Rings-length movies to tell George R.R. Martin's epic fantasy saga...That's why Seasons Seven and Eight felt so ridiculously rushed. That's why people started teleporting, why once complex characters suddenly became flat, vanished altogether, or morphed into nothing but convenient Deus Ex Machina, or why producers literally left coffee cups and water bottles in shots. Those prop errors are the perfect metaphor for these last two seasons, where no one slowed down to think about the product they were putting out. No one stopped to consider these beloved character arcs or the sheer logic of the narrative. Instead Benioff and Weiss wanted bigger battles! They wanted spectacle not story.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:041 edit
    This skit perfectly encapsulates the complaints of fans for the final season:

YouTube
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '19 11:06
    😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree