Fiscal cliff narrowly averted...

Fiscal cliff narrowly averted...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
02 Jan 13

I can't help but think that things would work faster and smoother in the US Congress if you threatened to smash their balls with a five pound hammer. This seems like the minimum acceptable penalty for losing touch with the fact that you are supposed to be working for the benefit of the People.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
I can't help but think that things would work faster and smoother in the US Congress if you threatened to smash their balls with a five pound hammer. This seems like the minimum acceptable penalty for losing touch with the fact that you are supposed to be working for the benefit of the People.
Try ten.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
02 Jan 13

much too mild

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
02 Jan 13

Performance related pay. Most would owe the country several million by now.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jan 13

I don't even know about "narrowly averted". They just kicked the can down the road a bit.

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
I don't even know about "narrowly averted". They just kicked the can down the road a bit.
and it's a long road. I suspect the can will need to be replaced several times.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
... and, as it was when young, it's getting late and almost time to come in.

Australia

Moves
12 Jan 13

Are US political committee sessions televised? Then at least you'd have someone to blame ...

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
13 Jan 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Are US political committee sessions televised? Then at least you'd have someone to blame ...
who wants to watch THAT crap???

we have "reality" tv...

rural North Dakota

Moves
13 Jan 13

Those are private, unfortunately, but the spoutings on the floor of the senate and House of Representatives are telecast for those who have insomnia.

Moves
13 Jan 13

Originally posted by ale1552
Those are private, unfortunately, but the spoutings on the floor of the senate and House of Representatives are telecast for those who have insomnia.
Yes. I believe they refer to it as "Bafflegab" which seems to be a prerequisite for all "democratic" nations.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
13 Jan 13

People react with such horror at the thought of Congress letting the government shut down over a disagreement. We fail to remember... during the "glory days" when Reagan was President, the government shut down 5 times. It's not really that big of a deal.

Truth is, we are in such major debt we really should shut down the government -- and just pay the absolute necessities like defense, social security, interest on our debts, etc.

Australia

Moves
13 Jan 13
1 edit

It seems that making a decision - any decision - is too difficult. How hard can it be? If the two major teams each have a position, basic negotiation skills should be able to produce a compromise somewhere between the two positions. It's done all the time in the world of business, and this should be no different, surely.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
13 Jan 13

It seems that making a decision - any decision - is too difficult. How hard can it be? If the two major teams each have a position, basic negotiation skills should be able to produce a compromise somewhere between the two positions. It's done all the time in the world of business, and this should be no different, surely.
True dat. But you have 2 opposing parties who hate each other, and a President who is unwilling to negotiate anything.

Australia

Moves
13 Jan 13

Maybe it's time for a third party to arise from the ruins, and all the voters to stampede out of their labelled pens ...