even the rich...

even the rich...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
11 Mar 20

@hope said
Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the ...[text shortened]... his one powerful person is a start - it made a difference to me and a lot of other people.

-hope
Dear hope,

I was thinking of this very parable...thank you for posting it.

Those of us who are survivors of sexual assault hold few illusions about justice being complete. For one, how can the innocence stolen from a child who has been assaulted ever be restored? No amount of jail time, no amount of capital punishment could ever truly do that.

In my own case, the perpetrator is dead, but the nightmares continue. It has affected my professional life as I have had to recuse myself from more than one case that “hits too close to home”, I have trained myself to be aware of my own responses when I cover the crisis phone and am fortunately able to turn it over to someone on my team who can compassionately cover me when I need a break. Sometimes despair comes creeping in and I ask myself, “What does it matter?” And then I remember that story, and then I think how, at least one perpetrator is made to face his crimes. What it does is let me know that my voice is heard and believed, that it was not my fault, and that I can advocate for myself and others with renewed purpose and power.

It matter. Oh! it matters very much!

Gothenburg

Moves
11 Mar 20
1 edit

@very-rusty said
Do you think he will do 15 years?

-VR
I don't know but even 15 years would be a long time in that environment. But I'm only speculating - his sentence was much beyond that, so let's see.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 20

@very-rusty said

All you did is pick up on my mistake in the way I worded it....LOL....
Yes, I did do that.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 20

@very-rusty said

I wonder how many languages you can speak, read, or write. I figure one ENGLISH!

-VR
I also speak Japanese.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Mar 20

@torunn said
I don't know but even 15 years would be a long time in that environment. But I'm only speculating - his sentence was much beyond that, so let's see.
Like lemon I am thinking he may not live that long in prison....unless he is taken out of the general population. I don't believe he will be a popular guy in prison.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Mar 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I also speak Japanese.
Do you also write Japanese?

-VR

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
11 Mar 20

@very-rusty said
That is a possibility! Lets wait and see how it all plays out.

-VR
you can wait
I'll pass

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Mar 20

@hakima said
Dear hope,

Those of us who are survivors of sexual assault hold few illusions about justice being complete. For one, how can the innocence stolen from a child who has been assaulted ever be restored? No amount of jail time, no amount of capital punishment could ever truly do that.

In my own case, the pe ...[text shortened]... vocate for myself and others with renewed purpose and power.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I can't imagine what that would be like.

I will remember you in my prayers.

-VR

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 20

@very-rusty said
Do you also write Japanese?

-VR
Yes, though not as well as I speak it.

Gothenburg

Moves
11 Mar 20

@hakima said
Dear hope,

In my own case, the pe ...[text shortened]... vocate for myself and others with renewed purpose and power.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Hakima.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
11 Mar 20

(((ms hakima)))

my offer to piss on his grave still stands

Illumination

The Razor's Edge

Moves
11 Mar 20

@very-rusty said
Sorry to hear about what happened to you.

I can't imagine what that would be like.

I will remember you in my prayers.

-VR
What’s the use of prayers any more than the use of the sentencing of one rich man that you so casually dismiss.

With all due respect, I’ve had my fill of prayers and thoughts of family, friends, and strangers. For the most part, they were intended to shut me up.

Of course not all of the perpetrators will be brought to justice, and in all likelihood Weinstein will not serve the full 23 years and my grandfather is rotting in the ground having lived his life getting away with a crime over which thoughts and prayers had no power. The sentencing of Harvey Weinstein and bringing others like him forward to face their crimes do more toward restoring my voice and confidence than thoughts and prayers ever will.

As for your taking mr. rookie to task for championing this cause, what I can say is that I AM personally impressed...after witnessing in the flesh, ten years of my tears and waking to my nightmare, rookie knows firsthand what it means to a survivor such as myself that Weinstein is called out for his crimes. I am grateful for rookie and other men in my life who have stood by me, sword in hand and say, “I believe you. No more. Not on my watch.”

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Mar 20

@rookie54 said
- and the powerful -
must answer for their crimes
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/us/harvey-weinstein-sentence/index.html
It is too bad that his crimes came to light so late and that so many people had to suffer in silence along the way. Would that he had been caught and sentenced after the first one.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Mar 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Yes, though not as well as I speak it.
Thank you just what I assumed.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Mar 20

@moonbus said
It is too bad that his crimes came to light so late and that so many people had to suffer in silence along the way. Would that he had been caught and sentenced after the first one.
No one can disagree with that one unless they want to look silly.

-VR