1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 12:191 edit
    @divegeester said
    Many young people of our generation grew without any recognition or insight into their own uniqueness and their artistic abilities. They experienced the educational process as a series of boxes to be ticked as they causally mocked with innocent cruelty those who would become their masters later in life.

Conversely I know people who are talented individuals who have dev ...[text shortened]... upporting existence, and the “live-your-dreams” luxury idealism of the pedestaled champagne classes.
    A good point, it’s hard to be really successful without going through the university process.

Common Traits of Successful Artists:

1 Art is the core of their lives.
    2 Successful artists understand how business works in the art world.
    3 Successful artists have a strong work ethic.
    4 Successful artists are resilient.
    5 Successful artists spend time only with people who are 100% supportive of their art career.

https://www.finearttips.com/2010/07/5-common-traits-of-successful-artists/
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 13:12
    @drewnogal said
    A good point, it’s hard to be really successful without going through the university process.

Common Traits of Successful Artists:

1 Art is the core of their lives.
    2 Successful artists understand how business works in the art world.
    3 Successful artists have a strong work ethic.
    4 Successful artists are resilient.
    5 Successful artists spend time only with peo ...[text shortened]... e of their art career.

https://www.finearttips.com/2010/07/5-common-traits-of-successful-artists/
    Not seldom do talented female artists married to successful artists sacrifice their own careers and sometimes their mental health too.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 14:12
    @torunn said
    Not seldom do talented female artists married to successful artists sacrifice their own careers and sometimes their mental health too.
    Agree wholeheartedly, I remember telling a friend at college that I could never get involved with a male artist, that they would drive me nuts as they are totally self absorbed.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 14:31
    @drewnogal said
    Agree wholeheartedly, I remember telling a friend at college that I could never get involved with a male artist, that they would drive me nuts as they are totally self absorbed.
    Hmmm. Isn't that painting all male artists with the same brush? 😲
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 14:52
    @great-big-stees said
    Hmmm. Isn't that painting all male artists with the same brush? 😲
    I’m paying them a compliment Stees and there are women who love them all the more for it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 15:11
    @drewnogal said
    I remember telling a friend at college that I could never get involved with a male artist, that they would drive me nuts as they are totally self absorbed.
    For how long will women be satisfied with the blaming of men for their own shortcomings?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 19:41
    @suzianne said
    I believe Art is primarily, and holds the most meaning, for the maker.
    I agree with the sentiment but surely the meaning the creator attributes to their
    art should not limit (indeed cannot limit ) the meaning another might give it?
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 19:44
    @torunn said
    Lenore Krasner and Frida Kahlo come to mind.
    Do you not think that society has moved on though?
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 21:11
    @wolfgang59 said
    Lenore Krasner and Frida Kahlo come to mind.
    Do you not think that society has moved on though?
    Yes, I do at least in our cultures.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 22:551 edit
    @Torunn
    Well, about that banana piece, you do know it is FOUR D not THREE D? Since if you come back a week later you see a different banana than the one you saw a week ago since it ages. Maybe that is the story. Watch it age and turn black and start dripping goo, attracting flies and ants, a whole ecosystem on display!
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 04:081 edit
    @divegeester said
    For how long will women be satisfied with the blaming of men for their own shortcomings?
    In this case it’s more about the woman not being able to have her cake and eat it. It’s impossible for both a man and a woman to live as struggling artists when a baby arrives. It’s the woman who takes the final decision upon starting a family. Babies take up hours of time and are exhausting. She’d need a very supportive partner to help free up her time to continue as an artist. That makes more demands on time than a baby.

My point however was that I wouldn’t be able to live with a man who was an artist based upon my experience of trying to be one myself. It takes up a lot of solitary time in your head and a lot of disappointments. I was happy with about 5 percent of anything I produced in a day and art materials are very expensive. I worked for social services as a ‘casual domestic’ which meant I got laid off after every 3 weeks of work. It was a miserable existence.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 05:09
    @sonhouse said
    @Torunn
    Well, about that banana piece, you do know it is FOUR D not THREE D? Since if you come back a week later you see a different banana than the one you saw a week ago since it ages. Maybe that is the story. Watch it age and turn black and start dripping goo, attracting flies and ants, a whole ecosystem on display!
    Nice thinking outside the box Sonhouse, but I believe the artist has given
    permission (or in fact insists) that the banana is changed regularly.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 08:351 edit

Removed by poster

14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 14:24
    How did we get from Comedian to Artist?

-VR
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 15:33
    @very-rusty said
    How did we get from Comedian to Artist?

-VR
    I think we just had a general discussion about art.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree