1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 00:26
    "Comedian" is a piece or art valued at US$120,000.
    What do you think?

Before Duchamp's "Fountain" it may have had some worth but
    isn't it just too derivative and too silly for the 21st Century?

https://www.dazeddigital.com/art-photography/article/47093/1/artist-maurizio-cattelan-sold-banana-duct-taped-to-a-wall-miami-art-basel
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 02:22
    i saw this and thought it somewhat intelligent
    so i ducktaped a banana to my shack and nobody wanted to buy it
    nobody even wanted to eat it

this art stuff sucks
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 03:53
    @rookie54 said
    i saw this and thought it somewhat intelligent
    so i ducktaped a banana to my shack and nobody wanted to buy it
    nobody even wanted to eat it

this art stuff sucks
    Try duct tape next time!
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 04:491 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    "Comedian" is a piece or art valued at US$120,000.
    What do you think?

Before Duchamp's "Fountain" it may have had some worth but
    isn't it just too derivative and too silly for the 21st Century?

https://www.dazeddigital.com/art-photography/article/47093/1/artist-maurizio-cattelan-sold-banana-duct-taped-to-a-wall-miami-art-basel
    Great thread! The most innovative thing about this piece of Art is that it doesn’t need expensive treatments involving magnifying lenses or X-rays in the process of preserving it. You just pop down the local supermarket and buy a fresh one.

So what is Art? 🛌
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 08:27
    @drewnogal said
    Great thread! The most innovative thing about this piece of Art is that it doesn’t need expensive treatments involving magnifying lenses or X-rays in the process of preserving it. You just pop down the local supermarket and buy a fresh one.

So what is Art? 🛌
    Perhaps it's like beauty - it's in the eye of the beholder, but it also takes talent.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 09:10
    @torunn said
    Perhaps it's like beauty - it's in the eye of the beholder, but it also takes talent.
    Back in UK a friend had a piece of driftwood on his wall.

That was (in my opinion) art.
    Perhaps the "talent" was in identifying it?
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 09:352 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    Back in UK a friend had a piece of driftwood on his wall.

That was (in my opinion) art.
    Perhaps the "talent" was in identifying it?
    Some works of art you respond to wherever you see it, you recognize and respond to it. Some art is easier identified in connection with something or some environment. If you saw driftwood on the beach, maybe you wouldn't look at it twice but on his wall, you noticed it and liked it.
    That's how I feel anyway.
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 09:401 edit
    @torunn said
    I spent 4 years in art college, painting and drawing were important to me from childhood, it was the first time anyone recognised any sort of talent in me, but it took a nose dive when I had my kids. There just wasn’t the time to devote to it or a spare room in the house for it.

Art helped me through the angst of adolescence but then I discovered a thread and a momentum in art college and I was off. The need to create a thing of beauty did not appeal to the tutors there, anything precious or stylised was treated with scorn. It all became something called Work and the students who devoted themselves to their work by spending long hours in the studios were the ones who got a first in their degrees.

There was also an importance about the thinking around the work and the tutorials provided an opportunity to try to talk through what the subconscious drive had produced in the work.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 13:01
    @drewnogal said
    I spent 4 years in art college, painting and drawing were important to me from childhood, it was the first time anyone recognised any sort of talent in me, but it took a nose dive when I had my kids. There just wasn’t the time to devote to it or a spare room in the house for it.

Art helped me through the angst of adolescence but then I discovered a thread and a momentum ...[text shortened]... provided an opportunity to try to talk through what the subconscious drive had produced in the work.
    You can take it back up anytime you wish, only you control that now.

-VR
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 13:21
    @very-rusty said
    You can take it back up anytime you wish, only you control that now.

-VR
    I had the luxury of a large studio space in college and liked working on pieces in excess of 4 feet square and space to work on a few pieces at a time so ideas bounced back and forth. A tutor said that college would help build up the momentum of work but that if I stopped it would be hard to get back onto it which has been true for me. It’s also a very slow start to return to using small drawing books again and as for the subject matter well, I can’t just take up where I left off at the age of 40?

Art ..... requires more thought than action where I’m concerned.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 13:58
    I agree with Torunn.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 14:15
    we live in a strange age...art is what can be sold as art in the capitalist Environment.

So if a guy tapes a banana to a canvas and is able to sell that for 120.000$ then he was at least artistic in the sales department.

If I find a nice stone and bring it back home...it may not be art but it touches something in my inner self.

In German the word is "Kunst" and derives from "können" (can, being able), so human intervention is a necessary criterion for something being art. If picking up some natural stuff already has to do with some special ability is for everyone to judge.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 16:33
    @ponderable said
    we live in a strange age...art is what can be sold as art in the capitalist Environment.

So if a guy tapes a banana to a canvas and is able to sell that for 120.000$ then he was at least artistic in the sales department.

If I find a nice stone and bring it back home...it may not be art but it touches something in my inner self.

In German the word is "Kunst" and de ...[text shortened]... picking up some natural stuff already has to do with some special ability is for everyone to judge.
    "If I find a nice stone and bring it back home...it may not be art but it touches something in my inner self...

Perhaps we need to have it in our inner selves to be touched by art. I believe that's where it is.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 19:56
    @ponderable said

In German the word is "Kunst" and de ...[text shortened]... picking up some natural stuff already has to do with some special ability is for everyone to judge.
    Those million monkeys typing for a million years ...
    When they have finished the complete works of Shakespeare
    what if their next project is the Mona Lisa?

Would it still be art?
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 19:59
    @wolfgang59 said
    Those million monkeys typing for a million years ...
    When they have finished the complete works of Shakespeare
    what if their next project is the Mona Lisa?

Would it still be art?
    Isn't art - if you are an artist - your own, original expression? Not a copy of someone else's?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree