Alcohol Fulfills a Major Human Need

Alcohol Fulfills a Major Human Need

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
29 Aug 13

It makes you feel all warm inside. It reduces pain, and makes the internet fun.
Cheers

l

Moves
29 Aug 13

The first glass of wine makes me feel good.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
29 Aug 13

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
It makes you feel all warm inside. It reduces pain, and makes the internet fun.
Cheers
A tear is not sweeter because it falls in a glass with beer.

Moves
29 Aug 13

Originally posted by Ponderable
A tear is not sweeter because it falls in a glass with beer.
Some people put a bit of salt in their draft beer but I don't think it's to sweeten it.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
31 Aug 13

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
Some people put a bit of salt in their draft beer but I don't think it's to sweeten it.
Let me be more blunt:

Does alcohol actually reduce pain as claimed or does it just repress it, making the Impact of the source of pain sharper in the long run?

l

Moves
31 Aug 13

Let me be more blunt:

Does alcohol actually reduce pain as claimed or does it just repress it, making the Impact of the source of pain sharper in the long run?
"... In everyday life, many people continue to deal with pain by self-medicating with alcohol. Due to its ability to depress the central nervous system (CNS), it slows down the brain and nervous system, and delivers a certain amount of pain relief. It also has muscle relaxant and sedating properties..."

http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/healthandlifestyle/alcohol-and-pain/24

Moves
31 Aug 13

Let me be more blunt:

In western movies (cowboy movies) they always used to give a wounded person, if it was handy, a shot of some kind of alcohol as a source of some pain relief. Is it a good idea for an ongoing source of pain relief...I should think not. For the kind of pain you refer to (I think), professional help is a more appropriate approach to the problem.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
31 Aug 13

Let me be more blunt:

Oh just have a drink n chill the @@@@ out.😠
🙂

Read a book!

Moves
31 Aug 13

Alcohol creates five new problems for every problem it solves.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
31 Aug 13

Take two beers every four hours to relieve symptoms of schizophrenia.

Moves
31 Aug 13

Originally posted by lemon lime
Take two beers every four hours to relieve symptoms of schizophrenia.
Perhaps seeking help elsewhere than a bottle, or two, of beer, say a professional who might prescribe something like clozaril maybe?
Just saying.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Aug 13

Perhaps seeking help elsewhere than a bottle, or two, of beer, say a professional who might prescribe something like clozaril maybe?
Just saying.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. I mean look at poor Frank. 🙂

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Aug 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Alcohol creates five new problems for every problem it solves.
That's why beer comes in 6 packs, duh. 😛

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
31 Aug 13
1 edit

Just saying.
That kind of help can easily turn into a dealer/junky relationship, with approximately a third getting better, a third staying the same and a third getting worse. Not an impressive track record, especially when you consider how the help being provided is by professionals.

Meds can work as a short term quick fix, but so can alcohol. Long term use and daily dependence of either is the real problem. It's not so much about what drug you take or who you get it from, it's about how much control you are willing to take over your own life. I quit drinking because it didn't do anything for me anymore. Doesn't mean I won't, in fact I'm thinking of going to the liquor store today to look around for something small and inexpensive. But I'll probably forget to go, or will lose interest in going before the day is over.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 13

Originally posted by lemon lime
That kind of help can easily turn into a dealer/junky relationship, with approximately a third getting better, a third staying the same and a third getting worse. Not an impressive track record, especially when you consider how the help being provided is by professionals.

Meds can work as a short term quick fix, but so can alcohol. Long t ...[text shortened]... e. But I'll probably forget to go, or will lose interest in going before the day is over.
"Long term use and daily dependence of either is the real problem."

Alcoholic Beverages per se aren't the issue. Immoderation is and can become a personal problem of considerable magnitude. Same distinction with a difference as shallow truisms concerning money. Money isn't the root of all evil; it's the inordinate love of it, which is destructive. Money in any amount should be viewed as a servant. Some sadly become its slave. (imo)