1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:01
    BBC: Epic Muhammad movie in pipeline

An epic movie about Islam's Prophet Muhammad is in the pipeline, backed by the producer of the Lord of the Rings.

[quote]American Barrie Osborne, who also produced The Matrix, told Reuters the film would be an "international epic" aimed at "bridging cultures".

In accordance with Islamic rules, the Prophet cannot be depicted on screen. Images of the Prophet are considered blasphemous by Muslims.

The $150m (£91m) English language film should go into production in 2011.
    [/quote]

Whole article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/entertainment/8337721.stm

Given the huge popularity of Barrie Osborne's previous films, and his uncanny talent for enthralling people the world over, do posters think that this movie might go a long way towards bridging cultures and reducing conflict in the world?
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:07
    you are in the perfect spot to find out. you could host a premiere party! let us know how it goes ...
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:18
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    you are in the perfect spot to find out. you could host a premiere party! let us know how it goes ...
    Indonesia's film industry is tiny and Jakarta is not even a dot on the international radar. Barrie has made blockbuster films like The Matrix and Lord Of The Rings and wants to spend $150 on this one. I think this thread has very little, if anything, to do with Indonesia.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:14
    I imagine a lot of Muslims might get upset at the images of the Prophet that the movie is made up of.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 02:18
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I imagine a lot of Muslims might get upset at the images of the Prophet that the movie is made up of.
    The BBC news item's text is a bit ambiguous. But presumably they are going to make this film without showing the man himself - unless it is intended to be one of the greatest cockings of the snook of all time!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 03:331 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [In accordance with Islamic rules, the Prophet cannot be depicted on screen. Images of the Prophet are considered blasphemous by Muslims.
    I had no idea, but then, I can't say it surprises me. All I can say is that they best be careful not to offend anyone unless they enjoy living out of their suitcases for the rest of their lives.

As for myself, I would not touch that movie with a ten foot pole.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 05:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    I had no idea, but then, I can't say it surprises me.
    I think there's more or less a similar rule for many Christians and Jews, yes? Second commandment? At least for Talmudic Jews, Anglicans, Reformed, and other Christians, including Orthodox Christians. I don't recall exactly. No graven images or idols. All those statues of Jesus, quite frankly, are iffy.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 05:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    All I can say is that they best be careful not to offend anyone unless they enjoy living out of their suitcases for the rest of their lives.
    It seems strange that anyone would want to go out of their way to offend 1,500,000,000 people for no constructive purpose.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:191 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It seems strange that anyone would want to go out of their way to offend 1,500,000,000 people for no constructive purpose.
    then how are they going to make a movie about the prophet without showing his image?

are all the supporting actors going to be talking back-and-forth with an invisible, off-screen prophet?
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Indonesia's film industry is tiny and Jakarta is not even a dot on the international radar. Barrie has made blockbuster films like The Matrix and Lord Of The Rings and wants to spend $150 on this one. I think this thread has very little, if anything, to do with Indonesia.
    not an official premiere party.

a private, invite-the-friends-relatives-and-neighbors premiere party. beer, pretzels, mustard, pirated DVD, projector, etc. etc.

not much use in US hosting it. least not, those of us with teeny Muslim minorities.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:26
    If Muhammad is to be played by Jack Black, I can definitely give it a try and borrow the DVD.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:40
    then how are they going to make a movie about the prophet without showing his image?

are all the supporting actors going to be talking back-and-forth with an invisible, off-screen prophet?
    Don't know. I suppose it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. I saw a film about Jerry Garcia once that didn't have any shots of him in it.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 07:42
    not an official premiere party. a private, invite-the-friends-relatives-and-neighbors premiere party. beer, pretzels, mustard, pirated DVD, projector, etc. etc. not much use in US hosting it. least not, those of us with teeny Muslim minorities.
    I don't think the film is FOR Muslims, per se. What makes you think it is?
  14. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 08:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Many of them appear to relish taking offence for the religious kick they get out of it. Also some have their minds set on the black-eyed maidens whom they have been taught to believe await them in never-never land if they can manage to die for the good cause.
    I would rather see a thrilling film about the prophet Jeremiah.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 08:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think the film is FOR Muslims, per se. What makes you think it is?
    who said it was FOR muslims?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree