Why Obama needs to go

Why Obama needs to go

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Aug 12

Originally posted by normbenign
Niall Ferguson isn't some right wing radical, and Newsweek isn't Fox News.
Niall Ferguson is very much a conservative, and enough of a maverick to have felt it necessary to relocate himself to the U.S. having tired of right wing radical-phobic British academia. As right wingers go, he is very articulate and interesting. Check out his Reith Lectures this year: "The Rule of Law and Its Enemies" http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith Well worth a listen.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
22 Aug 12

Originally posted by Teinosuke
So you want to "help people here"... but then, when a possible means of doing so (bailing out homeowners in default in California) becomes apparent, you refuse to do that to.

Anyway, foreign aid is a long-term investment. A friend of mine went to Kenya recently and said that it was full of development projects sponsored by Saudi Arabia during the last f ...[text shortened]... 're going the right way about it by encouraging Western governments to cut their aid budgets.
I see little evidence if any of the positive effects of almost a century of US foreign aid. And if there were, is it right to burden future generations with the debt that makes politicians feel good?

Also, we have to get past the absurdity of "paying" for new programs by cancelling others, in other words never actually cutting anything from the spending side of the ledger. Africans will decide what goes down in Africa. They aren't so dumb as to not take our bribe money, but it usually doesn't influence them in a positive way.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
22 Aug 12

Originally posted by FMF
Niall Ferguson is very much a conservative, and enough of a maverick to have felt it necessary to relocate himself to the U.S. having tired of right wing radical-phobic British academia. As right wingers go, he is very articulate and interesting. Check out his Reith Lectures this year: "The Rule of Law and Its Enemies" http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith Well worth a listen.
I thought the article well written, and in harmony with my thoughts. If Obama had even been as successful as Bush 43 in his first term, I believe he would have earned a second term, despite my disagreements with his policy. I also had some disagreements with Bush 43's.

I can see little reason to rehire anyone with the record of failure, based on his own promises.