Why are American roads unsafe?

Why are American roads unsafe?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Nov 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
So that answers the OP then - statistical anomaly!
wut

In what sense is it a statistical anomaly?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
08 Nov 10

Thanks for that. So considering the number of miles driven (assuming there was no major shift in trend from 2003) the US does not do so bad at all, though not quite as good as Finland (though that may be a cultural thing as well, when I lived there I noticed the drivers were extremely polite and even cab drivers were not speeding).

So that answers the OP then - statistical anomaly!
It's not an anomaly. It's just that it is accounted for by factors other than those impliedly posited by the OP.

An anomaly would be if there were a major difference in deaths per miles driven that could not be explained by any rational factor or if, for example, one year had an exceptionally high number of deaths for no apparent reason, which reverted to normal levels the next year.

E

Moves
08 Nov 10

Perhaps someone can find the average miles in a car per person in each country.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Nov 10

Originally posted by Eladar
Perhaps someone can find the average miles in a car per person in each country.
Already done; in the link I gave: http://biurchametz.blogspot.com/2005/09/roadkill-myths-ii-israel-is-worse-than.html

there's a graph giving average kilometers driven per capita.

K

Germany

Moves
08 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
wut

In what sense is it a statistical anomaly?
In the sense that it appears to imply something that isn't the case. (which apparently is bad wording, my apologies for any misunderstanding)

STS

Moves
08 Nov 10

I was looking at some statistics on gapminder.org and it struck me that the US has an uncharacteristically high traffic mortality rate compared to other rich countries. Most rich developed countries have a rate of around 4-8 deaths per 100,000 citizens per year, but the US is at around 13 deaths per 100,000 citizens (on par with countries such as Mexico ...[text shortened]... in the US? Should anything be done against it, if so what? Or is it just a statistical anomaly?
Over 40% of American cars are driven by......

well........take a guess.

M

Moves
08 Nov 10

Originally posted by Sam The Sham

people who spend half their life in traffic jams?

K

Germany

Moves
08 Nov 10

People?

STS

Moves
08 Nov 10
1 edit

People?
yeah people just like the dutch where you live

you don't have a clue do you?

E

Moves
08 Nov 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
Already done; in the link I gave: http://biurchametz.blogspot.com/2005/09/roadkill-myths-ii-israel-is-worse-than.html

there's a graph giving average kilometers driven per capita.
If that graph is correct, the US is in no way outside the norm. We're about average.

JWB

Moves
08 Nov 10

Originally posted by Eladar
If that graph is correct, the US is in no way outside the norm. We're about average.
Leftist euroweenies just hate the American way of life. Kazet Nagorra has been exposed by his OP.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
08 Nov 10

I was looking at some statistics on gapminder.org and it struck me that the US has an uncharacteristically high traffic mortality rate compared to other rich countries. Most rich developed countries have a rate of around 4-8 deaths per 100,000 citizens per year, but the US is at around 13 deaths per 100,000 citizens (on par with countries such as Mexico ...[text shortened]... in the US? Should anything be done against it, if so what? Or is it just a statistical anomaly?
Look at South Korea's rate...

People in LA drive like crap for the most part and there's too much traffic. The roads need attention too...lots of potholes.

T

ALG

Moves
08 Nov 10

Men.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Nov 10

Originally posted by John W Booth
Leftist euroweenies just hate the American way of life. Kazet Nagorra has been exposed by his OP.
... and the discussion was so civilised as well ...