1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 22:01
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    as in all previous cases, the outgoing pres does not appoint a scotus member when close to the end of their term. previous precedent dictates that.
    Nonetheless, this discussion's point is made, even though McConnell was within precedent's "dictates".
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 22:06
    it is telling that you cant answer my question.
    Not telling at all. They are the "significant federal crimes" that are mentioned. I need not go through the court transcripts for you, to make my point. You tend to shift the focus of the discussion when your point goes aground. I am on to you, Mott.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 22:236 edits
    as in all previous cases, the outgoing pres does not appoint a scotus member when close to the end of their term. previous precedent dictates that.
    The only thing more infuriating than this argument is the arrogant smugness with which Republican politicians go on television and defend it.

Would you please define "close to the end"? Ideally, could you please pick a number n days from the end of a presidential term which qualifies as "close to the end," and then please make a reasoned argument as to why n+1 days from the end of a presidential term does not qualify as "close to the end"? And then please make a reasoned argument as to why your proposed number n is different from n=0 days, as laid out by the Constitution?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 22:31
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I guess this comes to closest, but there was never a vote.

I reckon that is why Wiki did not list it.
    Technicality.

Garland was defeated as much as Robert Ginsburg and Harriet Miers were.

I don't think it's fair to torpedo this nomination based on an allegation with no supporting evidence, but frankly, after Garland, it would serve the GOP right if it happened.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 23:50
    Originally posted by @js357
    Not telling at all. They are the "significant federal crimes" that are mentioned. I need not go through the court transcripts for you, to make my point. You tend to shift the focus of the discussion when your point goes aground. I am on to you, Mott.
    Its simple...what are the crimes you accuse Trump of? You cant name them because there isn't any...Just give me one crime and I wont call you a liar...until then...its on you.
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '18 23:51
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Technicality.

Garland was defeated as much as Robert Ginsburg and Harriet Miers were.

I don't think it's fair to torpedo this nomination based on an allegation with no supporting evidence, but frankly, after Garland, it would serve the GOP right if it happened.
    elections have consequences. 😉
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 01:27
    Its simple...what are the crimes you accuse Trump of? You cant name them because there isn't any...Just give me one crime and I wont call you a liar...until then...its on you.
    Hiring prostitutes
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 01:561 edit
    Conspiracy to commit a campaign finance violation with Michael Cohen.

Obstruction of Justice.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 02:01
    An outright falsehood:

14 presidents have appointed 21 justices during presidential election years. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/02/29/one-third-of-all-u-s-presidents-appointed-a-supreme-court-justice-in-an-election-year/?utm_term=.059ea4cc2fac
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 02:30
    Apparently, qualified history teachers are hard to find in Alabama.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 04:13
    I'm not your research assistant. The article I cited is what it is. Read it and the court record. If you don't want to, don't. Just dismiss it out of hand.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 06:00
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    who was the last president under investigation for several crimes who nominated a judge that said the president shouldn't be investigated for crimes and was accused of sexual assault?
    Bill Clinton for 2 out of 3. Kavanaugh was investigating Bill Clinton at the time for Vince Foster's death. What do you suppose inspired Kavanaugh to evolve an opinion that president's should not be investigated since he was doing it himself?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 09:03
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Conspiracy to commit a campaign finance violation with Michael Cohen.

Obstruction of Justice.
    Bribery

Fraud

Sexual assault

Conspiracy against the United States

Violation of the emoluments clause

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree