What motivates forgiveness?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
07 Sep 09

This topic strikes me as a toughie, simply because it positions an open ended question we seldom

think about. Perhaps love, compassion, largesse, magnanimity, grace are involved. So what else?

F

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
What motivates forgiveness? ...love, compassion, largesse, magnanimity, grace are involved. So what else?
An attempt to disguise parsinomy? Or to project phalansterianism, perhaps?

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
An attempt to disguise parsinomy? Or to project phalansterianism, perhaps?
Sheesh !!!! Sounds very complicated. Haagan-Dazs chocolate parfait does it for me.

GRANNY.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
07 Sep 09

This topic strikes me as a toughie, simply because it positions an open ended question we seldom

think about. Perhaps love, compassion, largesse, magnanimity, grace are involved. So what else?
Probably a desire to re-establish an amicable relationship with the person who wronged you or a realization that what's done cannot be undone and harboring ill will over it will not really be beneficial for you in the long run.

Also, it makes one feel good to perform an act of kindness. And, whether it is or is not, forgiveness feels like an act of kindness.

w

Moves
07 Sep 09
3 edits

One word, "EMPATHY".

Unless we are able to put ourelves in others shoes we have no basis for forgiveness. For example, if at times you were not able to forgive. more than likely you were unable to see yourself of acting in a similar fashion. For example, how does one forgive Hitler? More than likely the overwhelming consensus would be that forgiveness is not an option merely because we simply cannot place ourselves in his shoes.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Sep 09

The male seed.

w

Moves
07 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
The male seed.
😵

M

Moves
08 Sep 09
1 edit

A person about to cast a stone may consider the bad things they themselves have done, or the good things they have failed to do. So much glass!! Better to drop the stone and move on.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Sep 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes
A person about to cast a stone may consider the bad things they themselves have done, or the good things they have failed to do. So much glass!! Better to drop the stone and move on.
What is your topic relevant point?

M

Moves
09 Sep 09

What is your topic relevant point?
My point is that one of the main things that motivates forgiveness of others is an awareness of one's own flaws and mistakes.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
09 Sep 09

empathy

M

Moves
09 Sep 09

Major problems occur when people get caught up in "revenge loops" -- when no matter what anyone does, the score is never "evened". At best, these loops lead to close friends who now refuse to talk to one another -- at worst, you get genocide and stuff like it.

An act of forgiveness is often the time when one side decides it's just not going to start or maintain a "revenge loop" where no one wins.

jb

Moves
10 Sep 09

It is a personality trait. Some have it and some don't.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

My point is that one of the main things that motivates forgiveness of others is an awareness of one's own flaws and mistakes.
Ideally, yes. Thanks.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Sep 09

Major problems occur when people get caught up in "revenge loops" -- when no matter what anyone does, the score is never "evened". At best, these loops lead to close friends who now refuse to talk to one another -- at worst, you get genocide and stuff like it.

An act of forgiveness is often the time when one side decides it's just not going to start or maintain a "revenge loop" where no one wins.
Implacability... and things often do freeze over among once "close friends"

as well as between estranged brothers and sisters in the best of families.